Switching from IOS to Android.
1439 15 2015-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
choptlivah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 795633 ft
Canada

Due to an unfortunate event involving my Ipad, I have now switched to using the DJI Pilot app on a Nvidia Shield.  Was curious if anyone has made the switch before and if there are some things I should be aware of that are different,   Thanks in advance.
2015-4-24
Use props
mani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2233904 ft
  • >>>
Romania

I was planning to purchase also an Nvidia Shield, a few months ago, when it was not certain if iOS app will be available again. During my research at that time, some users complained about lag in video transmission on Android, never experienced that on iOS. You should check again, maybe they improved the Android app lately
2015-4-25
Use props
mani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

I simply cannot understand this human constant desire to declare a personal choice as the absolute truth.
Religion, politics, lately technology.

It can be Android, iOS, whatever, it does not matter as long as you're happy with it.
As I mentioned above, Nvidia Shiled looks like a good tablet, at a decent price.
But I will not declare it the best choice for DJI Pilot app, due to very serious reasons, and I will keep the flight sim out of the question, although I use it on daily basis and I have a lot of friends running on Android app that would love to have it available also.

1. Shield drains power from the TX, as every time it's connected to usb it will enter charging mode. iPads don't do that and out on the field, that's very important. You may have spare batteries but you have only one controller. Once it's fully discharged, you will need minimum 100 minutes to have it up & running, in my experience sometimes more, as it takes longer for the TX to charge completely, in comparison to battery TB48.

2. iPad Air 2 has anti-reflection coating on the cover glass that reduces ambient light reflections by about 3:1 over most other Tablets and Smartphones, being considered at the moment “the least reflective display of any Tablet in the world”. That again is a very important detail, as most of the time we would like to fly our Inspires during bright sunny days, on perfect weather.

Bottom line, Shield has a decent price, decent performance but it's missing on key features regarding professional use of Inspire 1.
But , as I said before, if it makes you happy, that's all that matters, enjoy your Shield !
2015-4-25
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Have they updated the Android app to match the features of iOS?   

If they don't have the exposure warning on Android then I'm not interested, and you shouldn't be either.

It's by far the best feature and I wouldn't want to be without it while filming.
2015-4-27
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Canada

@jimhare it doesnt have the over exposure warning, and i hate it,  i'll be fixing my ipad soon and using the nvidia shield as the second controllers tablet.  The HDMI out is very nice though!
2015-4-28
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Canada

and Mani I believe you can turn off the charging from the TX that you were talking about.  
2015-4-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

choptlivah Posted at 2015-4-29 08:29
@jimhare it doesnt have the over exposure warning, and i hate it,  i'll be fixing my ipad soon and u ...

Wouldn't you be better to put the nvidia on the main controller and the iPad on the second one so the person who is controlling the camera can check exposure?
2015-4-28
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Canada

yes I suppose that is a more suitable option,  I'm so used to flying solo I'm just wanting the exposure warning on my screen lol.  But yes you are quite right there!  
2015-4-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

choptlivah Posted at 2015-4-29 11:29
yes I suppose that is a more suitable option,  I'm so used to flying solo I'm just wanting the expos ...

Absolutely!    When on your own it should be on yours, but when someone else is filming with the second remote, had it over!   
2015-4-28
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

mani Posted at 2015-4-26 05:32
I simply cannot understand this human constant desire to declare a personal choice as the absolute t ...

Shield drains power from the TX, as every time it's connected to usb it will enter charging mode. iPads don't do that and out on the field, that's very important. You may have spare batteries but you have only one controller. Once it's fully discharged, you will need minimum 100 minutes to have it up & running, in my experience sometimes more, as it takes longer for the TX to charge completely, in comparison to battery TB48.

i have shield and ipad air 2 i got shield when there was talk of no ios app coming too
This is a solid argument against getting shield This explains why my shield always needed charging and ipad air 2 almost never when flying

arun
To mani

I simply cannot understand this human constant desire to declare a personal choice as the absolute truth.
Religion, politics, lately technology.

It stems from human insecurity about dying alone . we are social animals and regard peer approval as very important in our inner philosophical dissonance

Regards

Arun (Hindu dont become Hindu please)
2015-4-29
Use props
mani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

arunmehta Posted at 2015-4-29 18:30
Shield drains power from the TX, as every time it's connected to usb it will enter charging mode. i ...

Arun, if your Shield was in constant need of charging after using it with Inspire, I am afraid you had some apps in background consuming serious power or you had a problem with its battery.
Normally it should be the opposite.
1. When you connect iPad Air 2 to TX it will not enter charging mode, and it will use only power from its own battery, that's why I think it is a better solution for Inspire, as it preserves TX battery, which is very important, especially if you're planning to have several consecutive flights.

2. When you connect your Shield to TX it will enter charging mode, and it will use power from TX battery, so after a few lights your Shield should be completely charged or at least with the same level of battery as it was before you start flying, but your TX battery level will be seriously reduced, as it will use power in both directions, aircraft and Shield.

I think you should check your Shield, it you still have it, because this might be a malfunction, I have seen several Shield reviews and it seems normally it has good battery performance, around 10 hours of use.
p.s regarding your statement about our status as social animals, there was a romanian philosopher named Lucian Blaga, who had a very nice answer, addresing French philosopher Henri Bergsson's opinions about our evolution as social animals.
In simple words, what he said is that we cannot gradually differenciate humans and animals, as we're totally different kinds.
An animal never abandons voluntarily concept of safety, security while us humans tend to do most of the time things completey unexplainable, puting ourselves at risk for the pleasure of our soul, ignoring our security and safety.
Let's take it like this, birds are ussualy involved only in practical commercial flights, searching for food, new nest or a mating partner, while us humans we spend 3k just to enjoy 15 minutes of flight over a beautiful lake

2015-4-29
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

mani Posted at 2015-4-29 18:52
Arun, if your Shield was in constant need of charging after using it with Inspire, I am afraid you  ...

birds are ussualy involved only in practical commercial flights, searching for food, new nest or a mating partner, while us humans we spend 3k just to enjoy 15 minutes of flight over a beautiful lake

Not me id rather spend 15mins + on the mating partner

2015-4-29
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mani
To many humans 3k is a drop in the bucket and it is worth the 15 minutes of "pleasure"
As Einstein said it is all relative

i am recharging my shield that i dusted up and will try your suggestion as an "experiment" I have practically only one app on my shield the DJI pilot.
Running out of juice in midflight in your remote is not my idea of fun though
BTW "fictitious perso" we know it is "bob" lol
ps WE do not know the motivations of bird's flights you are only guessing...maybe many birds make stoopid flights too like the one that i rescued after she bumped her head against my glass window
2015-4-29
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Italy

The birds I'm talking about usually bump their heads of the headboard
2015-4-29
Use props
mani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

@arunmehta : never heard about birds with suicidal tendencies , maybe she was running on an old firmware

@fictitiousPerso : you're getting 15mins+ with TB47 or TB48 ? I assume in rough winds and unfriendly weather you get less...
2015-4-29
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Italy

mani Posted at 2015-4-29 20:45
@arunmehta : never heard about birds with suicidal tendencies , maybe she was running on an old firm ...

Hi Mani,

I have had 15+ on calm days, last time i was out i got about 13 mins give or take a few on a TB47, i was testing the new firmware and the responce of the bird in Atti and low level flights(thats near the end of the video), mainly messed about with the gains/braking etc. there was a slight wind and it didn't lose GPS
Heres a link to it but its pretty boring tbh :

i use the TB47 for testing mainly and i have 3 other TB48's, iPad mini 3 was used and solely purchased for the inspire(no other apps)

PS its a boring video
2015-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules