Mavic Air Or Mavic Pro Platinum
4869 19 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RamenNoodles
lvl.1

New Zealand

Hi guys, I was so confused on which drone to get, so I had to make a DJI account for the forum. I am seriously confused in which drone to buy. I am not new to drone flying as I have flown many drones, like the splash drone, phantom and even my friends mavic pro occasionally. I like the specs of both drones but each of them have certain things that pull me towards them. Mavic Pro Platinum has 7 km of range and a range of intelligent features but the Mavic Air has palm flying, a much better camera, more vision censors. Please help me out.

Thanks In Advance
2018-1-25
Use props
RamenNoodles
lvl.1

New Zealand

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-1-25 03:25
The Air is definitely a nice unit with all the latest bells & whistles.  It is more compact than the Pro.  It will probably be a good choice for many, especially first time drone owners.  My "con" for the Air is that it uses Wi-Fi as its connection method.  This won't be an issue for most users as it still provides adequate range.  

If your plan is to fly far, the Mavic Pro offers 3x the range with its OccuSync technology along considerably longer flight times.  The Pro also allows you to connect up to two DJI Goggles (plus two RC controllers) wirelessly.  

Thank you so much for the Answer. I am looking for a decent camera but obviously the Mavic Air's shown better. Is it really that different to the Mavic Pro Platinum? If Yes, what are the key differences?
2018-1-25
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

what do you plan to do with the camera?  they are all 1/2.3 sensor size so basically cell phone quality overall.  at this level of quality there is not a huge difference between the two , you would have to look hard at the whole image in a side by side comparison to even notice or care.  P4 is so much better in this category.   These small drones are flying cell phones lol.  There are many other more important factors when choosing a drone.. like fun, range, flight time, size, portability etc...
i will edit and say the biggest difference would be field of view.  that pushes the air over the pro for me in regards to which camera i would want.
2018-1-25
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

AIister Posted at 2018-1-25 03:35
what do you plan to do with the camera?  they are all 1/2.3 sensor size so basically cell phone quality overall.  at this level of quality there is not a huge difference between the two , you would have to look hard at the whole image in a side by side comparison to even notice or care.  P4 is so much better in this category.   These small drones are flying cell phones lol.  There are many other more important factors when choosing a drone.. like fun, range, flight time, size, portability etc...
i will edit and say the biggest difference would be field of view.  that pushes the air over the pro for me in regards to which camera i would want.

These small drones are flying cell phones lol.

That's funny. I hadn't thought of it that way!!
2018-1-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-1-25 03:37
Just going off specs the Air has a wider FOV 85° vs 78° for the Pro. I prefer the wider field of view.  The Air also has a 100 Mb throughout advantage vs 60 Mb for the Pro.  The Pro has an edge on lens speed with a F2.2 lens vs F2.8 on the Air.

One thing to consider is, sometime in the not too distant future, a Mavic Pro 2 & Phantom 5 will appear which will up the ante with even more features.

"One thing to consider is, sometime in the not too distant future, a Mavic Pro 2 & Phantom 5 will appear which will up the ante with even more features".

Well said! Thats what I'm holding out for!
2018-1-25
Use props
Mharro88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26401 ft
Australia

100mbs is everything. Huge difference in 4k quality there.
2018-1-25
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

do you think?  the Sony A7R III (with full frame sensor) says it shoots it's 4k video at 100mbps - seems like overkill or marketing gimmick here... i would need to see proof there is any difference.
2018-1-25
Use props
theothernt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

Mharro88 Posted at 2018-1-25 07:34
100mbs is everything. Huge difference in 4k quality there.

The test videos from the Mavic Pro vs Mavic Air don't show that. If you're thinking of the Phantom 4 Pro, it has a better sensor. I'd argue that makes a bigger difference at the moment.
2018-1-25
Use props
fans1aa37bca
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1829219 ft
Singapore

To me what I am concern with after owning the Spark and the Platinum.  Is the noise level of the Spark Vs the Platinum.   The Platinum is almost 50% quieter that the Spark, even the Spark is smaller, it can still be heard even at 30 meters over head, hence very noticable.  Whereas I can hardly hear the Platinum 15 meters up.    I saw on a youtube review that the noise level is the same between the AIr and the Spark.   I only wish they had made the Air with the same quieter technology as the Platinum.  As annoying and stealth factor is one of my main concern.  When people can't hear it, there is less chance that they will complain and stop you from flying.  Note to dji,  please use the quieter ESC in all your future drones!

2018-1-25
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

all the videos i have seen the air is slightly quieter than the mavic pro.. not sure if the platinum is quieter than pro?
2018-1-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

AIister Posted at 2018-1-26 00:49
all the videos i have seen the air is slightly quieter than the mavic pro.. not sure if the platinum is quieter than pro?

Yes, the MPP is more quiet (at least, it has a different pitch that is lower as I believe)
2018-1-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Don't focus on the hard numbers.
Wait for some real comparisons between the Pro and the Air.
Bitrate is important, but there are other factors that make or break a camera.

In theory, the Air should be able to give a less compressed output (so less artifacts). But the only comparison I have seen yet on youtube shows the Mavic Pro still has sharper output.
But that is only 1 comparison. You need a couple to be certain.
2018-1-26
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

you can download the raw videos from tom's tech dude's 20+ minute review, do some pixel peeping
2018-1-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Maybe you can also refer to the comparison list and see which version is your preference. https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav
2018-1-26
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-26 02:12
Maybe you can also refer to the comparison list and see which version is your preference. https://www.dji.com/products/compare-consumer-drones?site=brandsite&from=nav

Thank you - very helpful comparisons
2018-1-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-26 01:37
Don't focus on the hard numbers.
Wait for some real comparisons between the Pro and the Air.
Bitrate is important, but there are other factors that make or break a camera.

Very true.
2018-1-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

RamenNoodles Posted at 2018-1-25 03:28
Thank you so much for the Answer. I am looking for a decent camera but obviously the Mavic Air's shown better. Is it really that different to the Mavic Pro Platinum? If Yes, what are the key differences?

For the camera apparently only a bit better ;-) But some of our MP co-pilots seem to struggle a bit with certain advantages of MA ;-) Why can't we all just be happy and enjoy our wonderful devices?
2018-1-27
Use props
Mountain flyer
New
Flight distance : 8724 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-25 06:11
"One thing to consider is, sometime in the not too distant future, a Mavic Pro 2 & Phantom 5 will appear which will up the ante with even more features".

Well said! Thats what I'm holding out for!

That is exactly why I am purchasing a Mavic Air.  If they do come out with a Mavic Pro II, I think it will fulfill different needs and the lines won't be so blurred between the Air and the current Pro as to cause confusion.  The Mavic AIr certainly hits the portability with quality adventure market.  I will plan on buying a Pro II to add to my quiver of hopefully a different drone with specs, that the current Pro and the Air don't fulfill.  And the Air I will be able to put in my kayak and take off in remote river corridors off rocks or funky spots.
2018-2-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mountain flyer Posted at 2018-2-5 15:56
That is exactly why I am purchasing a Mavic Air.  If they do come out with a Mavic Pro II, I think it will fulfill different needs and the lines won't be so blurred between the Air and the current Pro as to cause confusion.  The Mavic AIr certainly hits the portability with quality adventure market.  I will plan on buying a Pro II to add to the quiver of hopefully a different drone the that current pro and the Air don't fulfill.  And the Air I will be able to put in my kayak and take off in remote river corridors off rocks or funky spots.

Thats why I bought the Spark as an alternative to my MP then the MPP as a quieter drone to the other 2 and a P4P for the 1" 20mp sensor LOL - you'll get use to the addictions
2018-2-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mountain flyer Posted at 2018-2-5 15:56
That is exactly why I am purchasing a Mavic Air.  If they do come out with a Mavic Pro II, I think it will fulfill different needs and the lines won't be so blurred between the Air and the current Pro as to cause confusion.  The Mavic AIr certainly hits the portability with quality adventure market.  I will plan on buying a Pro II to add to the quiver of hopefully a different drone the that current pro and the Air don't fulfill.  And the Air I will be able to put in my kayak and take off in remote river corridors off rocks or funky spots.

Thats why I bought the Spark as an alternative to my MP then the MPP as a quieter drone to the other 2 and a P4P for the 1" 20mp sensor LOL - you'll get use to the addiction of drones
2018-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules