Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New P4P, maiden flight today, a few thoughts and Q's
885 15 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Grumpybeard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 593356 ft
Switzerland

Hey fellas,

Existing Mavic Pro owner, took delivery of the P4P early this morning.  I was a little nervous prepping her with software updates given some of the horror stories about updating to latest frmwar v02.00.0700, but thnakfully all went smooth first time.  Once all 4 batteries charged (finally! slower than the smaller Mavic ones!), I took her out for the maiden flight.

All good, started of with beginner (just to go through the motions) for 5 mins, then into normal mode for majority of batteries, and a bit of sport to see how she moved when really getting going - was impressed with the speed!  Went out as far as 500m distance and alt of 120, no probs.

One or two things that I'm not used to with the Mavic which I'd appreciate some feedback on.

1. Follow me mode - despite having 16 satellites locked, I was getting warning message "satellite signal too weak" when trying to active the "follow me" intelligent mode (not active track)

2. Getting the error message left/right obstalcle avoidance not working/disabled/inactive (or something to that affect, def left/right sensors) - any ideas?

3. Perhaps due to rock soid video transmission of Mavic with ocusync, I was disconcerted when video transmission on ipad mini 4 would blink/lag/go green, even despite drone being very close when I was doing POI around myself.  Is this the nature of lightbridge?

thanks very much

2018-1-25
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

1 and 2, not sure of, but 3 isn't typical of Lightbridge. It has pretty much the same range and reliability as the ocusync connection on the mavic pro. I fly only with the DJI goggles now and the video works fine. There is the occasional disconnect with both my P4P and mavic pro, no idea why, but the constant yuckyness you seen on GO 4 on an ipad is absent. So what you're seeing there is just the usual crappiness of GO 4 on a tablet. Not much you can do about it, really.

In fact, I have older firmware in both of my birds so I don't have to fight with a tablet to fly with the goggles....
2018-1-25
Use props
Grumpybeard
lvl.2
Switzerland

Cheers luciens for the thoughts.  Wrt "constant yuckyness you seen on GO 4" I had nothing but perfetc imagery when flying with the Mavic Pro using iPad Mini 4 and Go 4.
2018-1-25
Use props
Grumpybeard
lvl.2
Switzerland

Screen issue I experienced today same as shown here

2018-1-25
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

2. Getting the error message left/right obstalcle avoidance not working/disabled/inactive (or something to that affect, def left/right sensors) - any ideas?
The sensors looking to the left and right are your Infrared Sensors see pg 8 item 10 on the schematic

Read your manual v1.4, these sensors only work when in P Mode and only active in Beginner and Tripod modes page 29
2018-1-25
Use props
Grumpybeard
lvl.2
Switzerland

Thanks for that Genghis - did read the manual once, rather swiftly, I'll make sure to take more time and read through again.

Wrt image transmission, came across a few vids and posts:

Custom channel
2018-1-25
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try Turning ON "Hardware Decoding" in it app see at 0:15sec of the above video. IOS devices have this option to improve the video feed -  worth a try.
2018-1-25
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also try switching to 5.8ghz TX mode will solve the interference issue as I think DJI prefer that as Android user seem to be defaulted to 5.8ghz when you switch on.... But not complaining as I dont have any pop-up warnings about high interference etc... Also a compas recalibrate is worth doing EVEN if it says it all ok on the app - did this on my new P4P-Obsidian and cured a hole stack of warnings like weak GPS warnings, even though it was showing a count of 17 sats?
2018-1-25
Use props
Grumpybeard
lvl.2
Switzerland

Hmm, not showing hardware decoding on my iPad mini 4?? (as per above video 15s in)

2018-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

warning message "satellite signal too weak" when trying to active the "follow me" intelligent mode (not active track)
The message is badly worded.  It should say NO GPS signal (on your tablet)
Either your iPad is a non-cellular model (Apple only put GPS on their cellular iPads)
... or you had GPS disabled in Location Services
... or you were under cover and the GPS could not see any sats.

Getting the error message left/right obstalcle avoidance not working/disabled/inactive
Left/Right sensors are only operating for beginner mode and Tripod mode - not for normal flying.
2018-1-25
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"I was a little nervous prepping her with software updates given some of the horror stories about updating to latest frmwar v02.00.0700"

I would be nervous as well 02.00.0700 is for the P4 only ,not the P4P.
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, please help us check the below and confirm:
1. Follow Me Mode: It followed the GPS of mobile device. Make sure the GPS of mobile device works well or change to another recommended mobile to verify.
2. The left/right sensors only work in Beginner Mode and Tripod Mode. If the message pops again, please kindly offer the screenshot for better assistance.
3. Regarding the video transmission, I'd suggested change to another open location without interference or switch to 5.8GHz to see if there is any difference. Thanks!
2018-1-25
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you please point us in google maps where you were flying please? I only ever use 2.4ghz, im on Android and always had to change it to from 5.8, i now have my device set to US English and no longer have that issue, i only mentioned 2.4 because, i dont beleive this is the issue half the time and i dont think its the case this time (im normally wrong but hey ho), quote, even despite drone being very close when I was doing POI around myself. so in my eyes, that rules out  interference issues and puts it directly with the firmware and or app. You didnt say what version of the app you are on though?
2018-1-25
Use props
Grumpybeard
lvl.2
Switzerland

Update:

To correct my earlier mistake regarding firmware - I'm on V1.05.300.

Done 3 batteries worth of testing this morning. Set up is P4P, ipad Mini 4 (ios 10.3.2), latest version Go 4. With regard to loss of video signal/green/black screens/lag, I tested the following transmission configurations (changing my ipad region/language from English U to English US in order to make available the custom transmission setting config):

* 2.4Ghz fully auto (10mbits transmission rate?)
* 5.8Ghz fully auto (10mbits transmission rate?)

* 2.4Ghz auto channel with 4, 6, 8 and 10 Mbits transmission rate
* 2.4Ghz custom channel with 4, 6, 8 and 10 Mbits transmission rate

* 5.8Ghz auto channel with 4, 6, 8 and 10 Mbits transmission rate
* 5.8Ghz custom channel with 4, 6, 8 and 10 Mbits transmission rate

Both caching and not caching video.

In all tests, including 2.4 and 5.8 fully auto, was better than experienced yesterday, where I had severe green/black screens.  I did have some glitches today but provided the transmission rate was 4 or 6 Mbits I had good transmission in both 2.4 and 5.8.  8 and 10 rates introduced green screens. Occasionally I would get a little interference in auto channel selection.

For me the most solid was either 2.4 with manual channel selection or 5.8(with auto or manual channel selection),  with transmission rate at 6 or 4, with video caching switched off (dont need anyway as only edit post production on PC).

I am still considering getting an iPad Pro 10.5 as a backup - as Im supposed to be filming my own wedding and honeymoon with this in the Caribbean, and I'l only get one shot at this!

Any thoughts/feedback on the above testing.  Also interested why region need to be changed to be able to adjust transmission rate?

Many thanks

2018-1-26
Use props
Grumpybeard
lvl.2
Switzerland

@Bashy - Was flying it here, in middle of field with no houses with 300 at least.

For the earlier above testing, same place as yesterday, for consitency

Test ground
2018-1-26
Use props
Grumpybeard
lvl.2
Switzerland

@DJI Susan - Any thoughts/comments on above testing and transmission rate? Many thanks
2018-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules