Newbie Here
1159 15 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JLB768
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1259715 ft
United States

Hello, name's Jami, new to the forum, and drones. Have flown fixed wing rc for quite some time, decided to move on to something I can enjoy with a camera attached. Bought a Mavic Pro a week or so ago, got to fly it a couple times for a very short period due to temps(mid 20's). Today was the first time I got more than 10 minutes in the air, and that came to an abrupt end rather quick. As I was attempting a point of interest video on our home, what appeared to be a redtailed hawk, buzzed the drone at about 15'. I brought it down immediately, and went inside. Now I'm hesitant to put it up again, not sure where the hawk came from, but I certainly don't want it taking a new Mavic out of the air. Anyway, interesting site, look forward to learning what the Mavic can do here. I did insure the Mavic through State Farm, so that takes a little of the anxiety off...

2018-1-25
Use props
Yeaz13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 146263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Curious about State Farm Insurance, was that for loss or liability or both?
2018-1-25
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
United States

Yeaz13 Posted at 2018-1-25 12:06
Curious about State Farm Insurance, was that for loss or liability or both?

Loss only I believe, as it's under "personal artifacts coverage", separate from the home. Since we had existing personal artifacts coverage for my wife's wedding ring, my agent told me it would only cost us an additional $20 a year for the Mavic.
2018-1-25
Use props
duke123
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78930 ft
United States

Welcome to the forum form North Carolina , and yes State Farm is the way to go $60.00 a year for your drones.
2018-1-25
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

Not sure about insurance, but I have found birds are curious of the MP when airborne. I have also found that a sudden change in motor noise tends to stop their approach. I Put full up thrust and inquisitive birds retreat. Birds are worst at nesting season so avoid proximity to trees where birds are known to nest.
I came under attack if you can call it that and the forward sensors stopped the MP from flying into some swallows that were too interested.
Enjoy your MP,
2018-1-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

many birds are simply curious and although they fly close and do mock attacks they seem sensible enough to stay away (seagulls, oyster catchers) beware of birds in flocks - although pigeons will avoid the drone if there are too many of them those in front will swerve away but those that follow might not see the drone in time to avoid collision - preying birds (falcons, eagles) are been reported to actively attack drones in flight - if they are around it is best to find somewhere else to fly - good luck
2018-1-25
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
United States

duke123 Posted at 2018-1-25 15:09
Welcome to the forum form North Carolina , and yes State Farm is the way to go $60.00 a year for your drones.

Thank you from Indiana.
2018-1-25
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
United States

RobDownUnder Posted at 2018-1-25 15:09
Not sure about insurance, but I have found birds are curious of the MP when airborne. I have also found that a sudden change in motor noise tends to stop their approach. I Put full up thrust and inquisitive birds retreat. Birds are worst at nesting season so avoid proximity to trees where birds are known to nest.
I came under attack if you can call it that and the forward sensors stopped the MP from flying into some swallows that were too interested.
Enjoy your MP,

Thank you.
2018-1-25
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-25 15:14
many birds are simply curious and although they fly close and do mock attacks they seem sensible enough to stay away (seagulls, oyster catchers) beware of birds in flocks - although pigeons will avoid the drone if there are too many of them those in front will swerve away but those that follow might not see the drone in time to avoid collision - preying birds (falcons, eagles) are been reported to actively attack drones in flight - if they are around it is best to find somewhere else to fly - good luck

Yeah, I immediately brought it down, and went inside. Just about 30 minutes ago, the hawk was sitting perched on my backyard fence. Suppose I'll have to keep an eye out, it's been around for a few years, gets mice and rabbits from the field across the street.
2018-1-25
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

Congrats on the drone! Welcome to the forums! I have seen a few bird attacks on here and youtube. I do the same thing I always try to avoid or remove my drone from scenarios when there is animals present. You never know how they might react.
2018-1-25
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
United States

Brian88 Posted at 2018-1-25 15:21
Congrats on the drone! Welcome to the forums! I have seen a few bird attacks on here and youtube. I do the same thing I always try to avoid or remove my drone from scenarios when there is animals present. You never know how they might react.

Thank you, glad to be here.
2018-1-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

JLB768 Posted at 2018-1-25 15:21
Yeah, I immediately brought it down, and went inside. Just about 30 minutes ago, the hawk was sitting perched on my backyard fence. Suppose I'll have to keep an eye out, it's been around for a few years, gets mice and rabbits from the field across the street.

Welcome to the forum.
2018-1-25
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-1-25 19:02
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you.
2018-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Glad you landed in time as bird attacks are up there as one of the main causes of drones crashes.
2018-1-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the drone, fly safe!
2018-1-28
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
United States

Thank you.
2018-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules