Tablet advice
2180 21 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zv5dpUx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 311890 ft
United States

I am new to the drone world and was looking for some advice on a cheap tablet to buy. Will the Samsung Tab A 8” or the Lenovo Tab 4 8” work the best? I am not an Apple user and I am open to recommends

Thanks

2018-1-25
Use props
Droner500
lvl.4
United States

The Nvidia Shield ($199 on Amazon) I have heard in a past dji forum is really good with phantom 3s, connects great, they said it has no problems and it works quite better than the Samsung Tab A 8”.
Hope this helps!
2018-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The DJI Go app is very demanding and needs a tablet with a fast processer and plenty of RAM.
Trying to run it on an underperforming tablet will lead to disappointment.
The Huawei M3 tablet is an outstanding tablet for flying.
2018-1-25
Use props
djiuser_zv5dpUx
lvl.3
United States

Droner500 Posted at 2018-1-25 13:56
The Nvidia Shield ($199 on Amazon) I have heard in a past dji forum is really good with phantom 3s, connects great, they said it has no problems and it works quite better than the Samsung Tab A 8”.
Hope this helps!

Thank you.
2018-1-25
Use props
djiuser_zv5dpUx
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-25 15:15
The DJI Go app is very demanding and needs a tablet with a fast processer and plenty of RAM.
Trying to run it on an underperforming tablet will lead to disappointment.
The Huawei M3 tablet is an outstanding tablet for flying.

Is this it?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746P5883?ref=emc_b_5_i
2018-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_zv5dpUx Posted at 2018-1-25 15:30
Is this it?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746P5883?ref=emc_b_5_i

That's the M3 Lite.
I haven't tried that to know how well it performs but have heard one favourable report from a user.
This compares the two models:
https://www.androidcentral.com/h ... vs-mediapad-m3-lite
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, you tablet you mentioned here is not in the recommended list, and I'm afraid that stability can not be ensured. I'll insist on the mobile devices listed here: https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads
2018-1-25
Use props
bricooper
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14065 ft
United States

I have a Tab A, and have a choppy video, more like a frame every .75 second "video". this was an improvement after turning off the option to not save a copy of the video on the tablet during flight. DJI program is the only thing installed other than OEM load, I don't use the tablet for anything else. I'm looking to upgrade, it's not working well.
2018-1-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the
Nvidia Shield K1, it works great if its got Android 6 on it, dont update to 7
Tab S2  9.7" works great running Android 7.0
Galaxy Note 3 works brill on Android 5, just updated to 7 (unofficially) will let ya know later lol

Ideally you need a device with a minimum of quad core (octacore if its a  foreign country knock off)  and 3gb ram, more ram the better
2018-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Too bad, it's that the Apple devices which seem to work better. ;-)

Using an iPad Air2 Cellular for my dedicated device here, which has been stellar.

Utilize the DJI approved device list as a great starting point in persuance of an appropriate digital device.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-25
Use props
djiuser_zv5dpUx
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-25 22:15
Too bad, it's that the Apple devices which seem to work better. ;-)

Using an iPad Air2 Cellular for my dedicated device here, which has been stellar.

The more I read I am thinking about buying a refurnished iPad mini 2 or 3 from Amazon. I am not opposed to Apple products, just never made the switch to them if you know what I mean. Whatever I buy I was planning on dedicating that device to my drone.
Thanks for the input
2018-1-26
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

I use a Lexus 7 2nd gen running android 7 now and it works fine with a P4 and worked fine with a P3P. You can pick them up very cheaply on flea bay.
2018-1-26
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

Nvidia Shield K1 has been rock solid for me for two years.  It is dedicated as a viewing device.  It comes with a minimum of "junk" APPs installed and the few that are there can be disabled or un-installed.  Auto adjusting brightness works so well that I have not used my hood, just angle the tablet away from the sunshine.  The K1 is a gamer tablet with a powerful video processor and fast, cool running set of main CPUs.  For the price I do not think you will find a better Phantom "viewer".  Caution!  This is my personal opinion and is not backed by any research or testing...
2018-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

djiuser_zv5dpUx Posted at 2018-1-26 04:47
The more I read I am thinking about buying a refurnished iPad mini 2 or 3 from Amazon. I am not opposed to Apple products, just never made the switch to them if you know what I mean. Whatever I buy I was planning on dedicating that device to my drone.
Thanks for the input

Yes, if you can get a great discount, buying a refurbished unit, might as well go for it.

I think once you get used to the new operating system and Go app you will be pleased.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-26
Use props
Leftyguy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1282638 ft
United States

I tried the Samsung Tab A 8" with little success and ended up purchasing the Huawei MediaPad M3 8" and it works great. A little pricey but I use it with both the Phantom 3 and Mavic Pro.
2018-1-26
Use props
djiuser_zv5dpUx
lvl.3
United States

One last question for the experts. Is it necessary to have GPS in the tablet. I am a little confused because some have GPS and some don't. I realize if it has a cell service it has GPS.

Thanks
2018-1-27
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-25 21:03
I have the
Nvidia Shield K1, it works great if its got Android 6 on it, dont update to 7
Tab S2  9.7" works great running Android 7.0

I have the NVIDIA running Android 7 and it runs DJI GO just fine. No issues.
2018-1-30
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
United States

JackA Posted at 2018-1-26 09:20
Nvidia Shield K1 has been rock solid for me for two years.  It is dedicated as a viewing device.  It comes with a minimum of "junk" APPs installed and the few that are there can be disabled or un-installed.  Auto adjusting brightness works so well that I have not used my hood, just angle the tablet away from the sunshine.  The K1 is a gamer tablet with a powerful video processor and fast, cool running set of main CPUs.  For the price I do not think you will find a better Phantom "viewer".  Caution!  This is my personal opinion and is not backed by any research or testing...

I'm with you on the K1. Was disappointed up till I heard about the auto-adjust. Forget the sun shade. It only gets in the way. A big hat provides just enough shade I can see just fine.
2018-1-30
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_zv5dpUx Posted at 2018-1-27 17:51
One last question for the experts. Is it necessary to have GPS in the tablet. I am a little confused because some have GPS and some don't. I realize if it has a cell service it has GPS.

Thanks

If you want to see where you are on the map, or if you want to use Dynamic Home Point and/or Home Lock  yes you need GPS. Otherwise no.
2018-1-30
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

LarBear360 Posted at 2018-1-30 06:03
If you want to see where you are on the map, or if you want to use Dynamic Home Point and/or Home Lock  yes you need GPS. Otherwise no.

Are you sure about needing it for Home Lock? My iPad mini wifi only has no GPS and Home Lock works just fine (if the home point is where the drone took off). It also appears to load and cache maps when connected to the Internet, so I also have maps (assuming I am flying in the same place I already have been).  
2018-1-30
Use props
djiuser_zv5dpUxuEJqG
lvl.3
United States

I pulled the trigger on a new Huawei M3 tablet with GPS. It should arrive today. However, the winds in southwest Missouri are really gusty today so probably no flying for me.

Thanks for the input and guidance.   
2018-1-30
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
United States

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-1-30 07:13
Are you sure about needing it for Home Lock? My iPad mini wifi only has no GPS and Home Lock works just fine (if the home point is where the drone took off). It also appears to load and cache maps when connected to the Internet, so I also have maps (assuming I am flying in the same place I already have been).

Home lock, no. Dynamic home lock only. My bad.
2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules