OK, I did it (upgraded a 1-mo old Spark to a Mavic Air)
12Next >
3805 44 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Sorry, gang. I totally realize it's in some ways actually a downgrade from the Mavic Pro / MPP, but in several other ways it's a significant upgrade over both of them, too. Definitely a very significant incremental step up from the original Spark without up-sizing it to the point of "why bother?" In any case, I pulled the trigger tonight (early adopter, I know...) and purchased a (Lava Red Fly More Combo) Mavic Air even though my Spark is just 1 month old exactly  today after receiving it (self-selected, naturally) for Xmas. Have read all the relevant threads. Just don't care, it's definitely significantly "betterer" than the Spark in SO MANY ways and a very logical upgrade from the out-of-the-chute Spark, while not quite upsizing all the way to the MP / MPP size-wise. Not joining the debates on all of this, don't really care too much about 4K 30 fps, but having 3-axis gimbal stabilization (and a fair bit better-protected than the Spark's gimbal) AND having 60-120 FPS in 1080P/FHD (i.e., the 100 Mbps maximum bit rate) was the game-changer that pushed me into ordering this early right after the announcement. I'm sure even better stuff will be coming in the future from DJI, but I'm flying this sucker NOW! The Spark has been a total blast based on my first month with it; I can't wait to put up the MA for its first flight!!

Joe
2018-1-25
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

P.S. - I'm planning to keep 'em both; I expect each will have its own unique niche!

Joe
2018-1-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

congrats.  Would like to start hearing the reviews from ex spark / new Air owners soon.
2018-1-25
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Well done,, I am sitting on the fence at this moment, not too sure. So I will follow your threads to see how the y both compare
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Congratulations. I think it is a very nice upgrade and YES the Spark also has its purpose
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for your support. Please give us your feedback when you get the Mavic air and show us your works.
2018-1-25
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Thanks so much, Electra - I can’t wait for this new adventure to unfold!

Here are just a few of the terrific shots I’ve been able to snag with my Spark since Christmas:

Excited  to see what the Air can do!

Joe
2018-1-26
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-1-26 10:05

Here are just a few of the terrific shots I’ve been able to snag with my Spark since Christmas:

Skill is what makes the photographer, not the equipment. These are ultra cool!!!
2018-1-26
Use props
Madseason
lvl.2
United States

I'm in the same boat! Have had the Spark for one month and now I have Drone Fever! Nothing against the Spark at all. I love it and will not be selling it. I just think the Air is my next step up. I really wanted the MPP before the Air was released but I'm just not sure the extra money is worth the longer battery and quieter flight especially when the Air "Fly More Package" comes with 3 batteries. I have 3 Spark batteries and can get some 40 minutes of flight time with them which is plenty, I predict I'll order the Air in a month.
2018-1-26
Use props
fnbadaz06
lvl.1
United States

Are you in Arizona ? Great pics
I'm looking at an air as well to go along with the Spark.
2018-1-26
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7966 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i got my spark last June and just sold my spark and ordered the Mavic Air Also
2018-1-26
Use props
tfishbein
lvl.1
United States

To the few here who say they're getting the Mavic Air AND keeping the Spark: what application do you really see for the Spark once you have the Mavic Air? It's only a touch larger, but better in every other way.

For what it's worth, I'm under 1 month on the Spark as well, and wondering (1) if I should upgrade and (2) why I wouldn't trade in the Spark.
2018-1-26
Use props
pingywon13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63724 ft
United States

Hey Joe - what the heck are you rambling about?
2018-1-26
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Photographers afflicted with GAS is a sad thing.  
2018-1-26
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

fnbadaz06 Posted at 2018-1-26 11:04
Are you in Arizona ? Great pics
I'm looking at an air as well to go along with the Spark.

Yes, I live in extreme NE Mesa, Arizona on a 1-acre high desert lot (1880 ft above sea level is my local ground level) with extremely rugged natural beauty all around me. I'm butted right up against the Tonto National Forest, with a mountain range less than 1/3 of a mile away to my north (and northeast and northwest) with peaks that that top out at around 2000-3000 feet. Looking forward to the show the desert will put on when it blooms around April or so!

That first picture was of the Superstition Mountains to my east. The shot showing some of the undeveloped property around me (and a house going in on the cul-de-sac) is looking due south. The peaks the sun is setting behind are know as Cat Peaks; they are just a couple of miles or so to my west and southwest.

Sorry; don't mean to change the subject - no need to reply and take the thread further off-topic.
2018-1-26
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

pingywon13 Posted at 2018-1-26 12:37
Hey Joe - what the heck are you rambling about?

Dunno, sorry if I rambled; it wasn't intentional...
2018-1-26
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

tfishbein Posted at 2018-1-26 11:50
To the few here who say they're getting the Mavic Air AND keeping the Spark: what application do you really see for the Spark once you have the Mavic Air? It's only a touch larger, but better in every other way.

For what it's worth, I'm under 1 month on the Spark as well, and wondering (1) if I should upgrade and (2) why I wouldn't trade in the Spark.

I can still see situations where putting up the Spark will be quicker, easier, and potentially stealthier. Mebbe that's just buyer's rationalization (to avoid buyer's remorse as well as having to part with the Spark for much less than I paid just 1 short month ago).

Realistically, I'll see how it goes. If 6 months down the road I find I'm flying the Air the great majority of the time, I'll seriously consider selling the Spark rather than letting it just collect dust.
2018-1-26
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-26 12:41
Photographers afflicted with GAS is a sad thing.

GAS? Sorry, I don't take your meaning.... Let me in on the joke?

==========================

GAS

Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

Category filter: Show All (44)Most Common (1)Technology (4)Government & Military (9)Science & Medicine (11)Business (7)Organizations (12)Slang / Jargon (7)

Acronym

Definition

GAS Gasoline
GAS Guilty As Sin :-)
GAS Google Apps Script (JavaScript and Google, Inc.)
GAS Government Account Series
GAS General Adaptive Syndrome
GAS Gong Appreciation Society
GAS Graef, Anhalt, Schloemer and Associates Inc.
GAS Groupe Accueil Solidarité (French: Solidarity Group Home)
GAS Guild of All Souls
GAS Gate Allocation System
GAS General Air Staff
GAS Graduate Assessment Survey
GAS Geometric Analysis of Sections
GAS General Appraisal System
GAS General Automotive Support
GAS Geospatial Annotation Services
GAS Gatewick Aviation Services (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
GAS Ground Aided Seeker
GAS Group A, B-Hemolytic Streptococci bacteria
GAS Gorizia Automoto Storiche (Italian automobile club; Gorizia, Italy)
GAS Ghanaian Association of Sacramento (California)
GAS General Adaptation Syndrome
GAS German Academy of Science
GAS Germany, Austria, Switzerland (group of countries)
GAS Governance Advisory Service (Australia)
GAS Gadget Acquisition Syndrome
GAS General Audit Software
GAS Goal Attainment Scaling (patient evaluation tool)
GAS Growth Arrest-Specific
GAS Government Auditing Standards
GAS Gear Acquisition Syndrome (mainly bass guitarists) :-)
GAS Good Academic Standing (various organizations)
GAS GPS Antenna System
GAS Ground Analysis Software
GAS Games And Sports
GAS Get Away Special (Space Shuttle)
GAS Global Assessment Scale
GAS Glass Art Society
GAS Gunner's Auxiliary Sight (secondary optics on an M-1 Abrams tank)
GAS Genetic Algorithm Solution
GAS Guitar Acquisition Syndrome
GAS General Administrative Service (Philippines)
GAS Great American Smokeout
GAS Greetings and Salutations

Copyright 1988-2014 AcronymFinder.com, All rights reserved.
2018-1-26
Use props
seanie2322
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2356873 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I literally bought the spark a month agao lol so I’m going to have to hang onto it. I’ll be interested to hear your review of the air coming from the spark. I would like a 3axis gimbal and 4K. Also can the air shoot raw? This would be a huge bonus for aerial photography
2018-1-26
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

seanie2322 Posted at 2018-1-26 14:59
I literally bought the spark a month agao lol  so I’m going to have to hang onto it. I’ll be interested to hear your review of the air coming from the spark. I would like a 3axis gimbal and 4K. Also can the air shoot raw? This would be a huge bonus for aerial photography

same
2018-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good for you. Let us know what it's really like.
2018-1-26
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-1-26 14:55
GAS? Sorry, I don't take your meaning.... Let me in on the joke?

I think I may have found the decoder ring:  Get Another Shot ???

Good one!
2018-1-26
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-1-26 14:55
GAS? Sorry, I don't take your meaning.... Let me in on the joke?

Ah, sorry.  Thought you were a photographer.   GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome (1)) is a deadly affliction checking accounts of photographers get.  So you have a $1500 6D with a $1200 70-200mm f4 IS, hows about you look at this spiffy $2500 5D mkIV with a $2200 24-70mm f2.8.  Or you can get the same capability in a 20% lighter package from Sony for another $1200 on top of the previous package cost.

Poor quality references:
1. GAS - - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_Acquisition_Syndrome
2018-1-26
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

seanie2322 Posted at 2018-1-26 14:59
I literally bought the spark a month agao lol  so I’m going to have to hang onto it. I’ll be interested to hear your review of the air coming from the spark. I would like a 3axis gimbal and 4K. Also can the air shoot raw? This would be a huge bonus for aerial photography

YES!! DNG/RAW is supported:

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#specs

That’s obviously HUGE.

2018-1-26
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-26 15:41
Ah, sorry.  Thought you were a photographer.   GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome (1)) is a deadly affliction checking accounts of photographers get.  So you have a $1500 6D with a $1200 70-200mm f4 IS, hows about you look at this spiffy $2500 5D mkIV with a $2200 24-70mm f2.8.  Or you can get the same capability in a 20% lighter package from Sony for another $1200 on top of the previous package cost.

Poor quality references:

Gotcha - totally get it; me likey & can relate!!
2018-1-26
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have a Spark and a P4.  They each have specific uses in my photography business.  I plan on adding a Mavic Air, but I will wait for some reviews from early adapters.
2018-1-26
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the Inspire 2, a Spark, and a Mavic Air on the way.
Yeah,,,,,, I have GAS as well.

But I enjoy every minute!!
Can't take it with you, so might as well enjoy!!
2018-1-26
Use props
andikurnia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17917 ft
Indonesia

I also consider to upgrade into Mavic air after bought spark last month. But since I rarely shoot on aerial, maybe once a month, I will stick with spark, bought a portable charger and additional battery for longer flight.

I think that spark should have at least 4k capabilities
2018-1-27
Use props
XAFAfterShock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40771 ft
United States

I've had my spark for maybe 2 months if that. I just purchased the mavic air fly more combo so my spark fly more combo with 2 extra batteries will be going on ebay as soon as my air arrives. between what I get for that and tax returns it feels like a great purchase. Any other time of the year and I wouldn't even think about ditching the spark after such a short time.
2018-1-27
Use props
darkuser999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51890 ft
United Kingdom

A lot of us are sitting on the fence with this....It is very frustrating for those of us who bought it recently and tempting to sell it now NOT because we can't live without 4k and 5 mins of extra flight time, but that the longer you leave it, the more the Spark value will depreciate....given the way things stand, in 3 months time, you'd be lucky for it to retain half its retail value!
2018-1-27
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

and in 6 months time the Mavic Air may be deprecated as some other new surrogate between Mavic Air and Phantom 11 will come up..but did we finished up and tested everything that Spark can do? are we sure Mavic Air is not "flying away"? are we so professional on taking videos, editing them that we need to upgrade? is it only about the folding arms? or the boomerang quick shot? indeed, 3 axis gimbal would be best but i am very happy with my Spark!
i do  like new technologies and i do like all new gadgets. but i still need to learn editing, taking fine videos, etc. i am not sure i would invest now in a Mavic Air just for the sake of having the latest release..
2018-1-27
Use props
seanie2322
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2356873 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

dj_dread Posted at 2018-1-27 16:08
and in 6 months time the Mavic Air may be deprecated as some other new surrogate between Mavic Air and Phantom 11 will come up..but did we finished up and tested everything that Spark can do? are we sure Mavic Air is not "flying away"? are we so professional on taking videos, editing them that we need to upgrade? is it only about the folding arms? or the boomerang quick shot? indeed, 3 axis gimbal would be best but i am very happy with my Spark!
i do  like new technologies and i do like all new gadgets. but i still need to learn editing, taking fine videos, etc. i am not sure i would invest now in a Mavic Air just for the sake of having the latest release..

I agree. I had my spark with me when I was in Iceland recently for a week and I was not focused on the lack of 4K or raw imagery I concentrated on the cinematography and putting together a good video which I hope I did. Spark is a great tool to get people started in drones and aerial photography/filmmaking
2018-1-28
Use props
BSIBrian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31368 ft
United States

I've considered the same move (and gifted myself the Spark for Christmas as well.)  So far I've resisted the urge. Enjoy!
2018-1-28
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

I too had the new model bug. I don't blame anyone - it's an awesome drone. However I've decided to stick with the Spark. Having recently lost one (my own fault), I think I'd rather loose $399 over $799 if things go wrong. Once the cameras have more significant differences then I'm sure I'll change my mind
2018-1-28
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

seanie2322 Posted at 2018-1-28 08:42
I agree. I had my spark with me when I was in Iceland recently for a week and I was not focused on the lack of 4K or raw imagery I concentrated on the cinematography and putting together a good video which I hope I did. Spark is a great tool to get people started in drones and aerial photography/filmmaking

Makes sense.  I am editing spark video on iMovie on an old Macbook Air. The video/flight modes/duration and general capability of the Spark is not what is holding me back.  My choice of shots, poor composition, creativity in edits, choice of music, and management of clips, is what is actually holding me back.  Though I think a new drone would solve all that.

2018-1-28
Use props
Spark23
First Officer
Flight distance : 70577 ft
United States

I went the same route, mainly because I was still within the 30 day return period for my Spark.  Had some gimbal stabilization issues with Spark, especially when flying in slightly windy conditions.  I'm often filming at sunset after a storm, so having the 3-way stabilized gimbal is important to me to minimize camera shake.  Thus far, the Air is everything I expected and the additional flight time per battery is a huge bonus.  With the Spark, it felt like I was practically having to land right after I made it up to my desired elevation.
2018-1-29
Use props
Ram-UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

I will stick to my Spark for the time being until I get trained and  need a better drone to take me to next level.
2018-1-29
Use props
lifeofpiluckan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131309 ft
South Africa

Considering doing the same as soon as there is stock available here in South Africa. Please share experience and any guidance!
2018-1-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-1-26 10:05

Nice pics!
2018-1-29
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

tfishbein Posted at 2018-1-26 11:50
To the few here who say they're getting the Mavic Air AND keeping the Spark: what application do you really see for the Spark once you have the Mavic Air? It's only a touch larger, but better in every other way.

For what it's worth, I'm under 1 month on the Spark as well, and wondering (1) if I should upgrade and (2) why I wouldn't trade in the Spark.

I am starting a collection of DJI drones for my drone cave.
2018-1-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules