Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Warning “GPS not connected” now my drone will not take off.
29417 31 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SJones30
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85755 ft
United States

Please help, I recently had a hard landing but nothing seemed to be damaged, to be safe I took it home and charged everything fully before flying again. The error stating “GPS not connected” appears every time I push the joysticks to the bottom inside corners, to start the propellers. If I try to use the app to auto take off the command times out and nothing happens. I have updated to the latest app and firmware, recalibrated the IMU compass and just about anything else I could find to reset or recalibrate. I have tried it indoors and out, in both p-atti and atti mode. In the app everything comes up with “normal” under drone status. Please help, did I mess something up internally? Is there a way to hard reset the drone back to factory everything?
2018-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Factory Everything ? Haha

How about 100% full refund, with 20% testers fee?

Are you letting it connect fully, to the satalites before trying to engage the motors

RedHotPoker
2018-1-25
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

i've never heard of that pop-up before.

You broke something inside the drone or disconnected a wire somewhere. I don't think there's much you can do apart from tearing the drone apart and looking at different parts to find a problem somewhere.
2018-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The error stating “GPS not connected” appears every time I push the joysticks to the bottom inside corners
When your car's air conditioner stops working, you don't overhaul the gearbox.
If the GPS is disconnected, then no amount of reseting or recalibrating things not related to the GPS receiver is going to reconnect it.
Either your GPS unit is busted or disconnected.
Try looking at and if it's not connected then reconnect it.
If it is connected, you'll need to replace the GPS receiver.
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sir, please tell me the model of your drone. Please check if there is interference like high building. We would not recommend users attach sticker above the drone. Since your drone experienced a hard landing, I would recommend you send it back for repair for further check: http://www.dji.com/support. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I agree with post #4.

Does it boot up normally?  I would expect it to flash abnormally in the rear lamps if the GPS is not connected, but I don't have a P3S.

These Phantoms are designed not to start up if the GPS module is disconnected or broken.  It's been that way since the beginning.  With a working GPS, you can block the GPS signal on top with foil and fly with inadequate satellites just fine.  But you can't start the motors with the GPS module disconnected from the centerboard or if the GPS module is broken.  The firmware won't let you.

Are you otherwise happy with your AC?  I ask because if you send it in, you may never see it again.

If it was me, I'd repair it myself.  It's most likely a very simple fix.  

Good luck

2018-1-26
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

The internal ribbon cable that connects the gps module to the circuit board may have been jarred loose from the hard landing. You need to take top of the shell off to check the cable connection. Look up you tube vids of removing top shell.
2018-1-26
Use props
SJones30
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-25 22:10
Factory Everything ? Haha

How about 100% full refund, with 20% testers fee?

As much as I would love a full refund or even just a little upgrade, I don't think that will happen haha. I am setting it up outside in an open area, no buildings, but 0 connections are made. Even without GPS connected to satellites, the drone should still fly in atti mode, but it will not take off.
2018-1-26
Use props
SJones30
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-26 00:01
Sir, please tell me the model of your drone. Please check if there is interference like high building. We would not recommend users attach sticker above the drone. Since your drone experienced a hard landing, I would recommend you send it back for repair for further check: http://www.dji.com/support. Thanks for your support.

It is a Phantom 3 Standard, No buildings at all, No stickers, and I would really not like to send it back to DJI support for repairs as the drones value is most likely lower than the cost of sending it to DJI.
2018-1-26
Use props
SJones30
lvl.1
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2018-1-26 05:23
The internal ribbon cable that connects the gps module to the circuit board may have been jarred loose from the hard landing. You need to take top of the shell off to check the cable connection. Look up you tube vids of removing top shell.

This morning I took off the top shell and checked the connection but everything seemed fine, I am going to continue to follow the wiring to ensure that it is not a wiring error like that. If that does not work out I will be ordering a new GPS module on eBay tonight.
2018-1-26
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

is there any psycial damage on the gps module sutch as cracks i had one who did a hard landing too and the gps module was cracked and dident work
2018-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

SJones30 Posted at 2018-1-26 06:43
As much as I would love a full refund or even just a little upgrade, I don't think that will happen haha. I am setting it up outside in an open area, no buildings, but 0 connections are made. Even without GPS connected to satellites, the drone should still fly in atti mode, but it will not take off.

What if you go through the trouble of switching out the module, only to find it wasn't that at all?

I would rather send it in, and have it diagnosed, then repaired properly.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Personally, I'd to the repair myself.  Why?

1)  A used GPS module is pretty cheap - like $15.

2)   It will likely solve the problem.

3)  You will learn a lot and have more confidence when you have to do another repair.

MHO
2018-1-26
Use props
fans44e631e0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 247136 ft

Canada

I had a similar issue with phantom 3 4k right out of the box would not get gps signal at all was saying disconnect.  Sent it back to DJI and they replaced the GPS unit works great now been almost 2 yrs no problems at all good luck .
2018-1-28
Use props
SJones30
lvl.1
United States

Rene, what screw driver size was used for removing the GPS module from the top shell. I have a pretty small array of micro drivers, enough to get the rest of the p3s apart but can’t get the 4 screws holding the GPS in place out.
2018-1-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

SJones30 Posted at 2018-1-26 06:50
This morning I took off the top shell and checked the connection but everything seemed fine, I am going to continue to follow the wiring to ensure that it is not a wiring error like that. If that does not work out I will be ordering a new GPS module on eBay tonight.

Sir, I would not recommend you disassemble the drone on your own. It may cause further damage on your drone. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-2-1
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

i used a very sharp small one with long shaft and philips head type as the screws are very hard to losen up
2018-2-1
Use props
SJones30
lvl.1
United States

Resolved!!!! I purchased a used GPS unit on eBay for $10 and it flies like new again!!!! Very excited that I was able to fix this on my own. Thanks to everyone for their input!
2018-2-1
Use props
Bqnet
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189715 ft
United States

SJones30 Posted at 2018-2-1 07:31
Resolved!!!! I purchased a used GPS unit on eBay for $10 and it flies like new again!!!! Very excited that I was able to fix this on my own. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Good to know I was going to suggest Em
MU calibration
2018-2-1
Use props
Bqnet
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189715 ft
United States

SJones30 Posted at 2018-2-1 07:31

Good to know I was going to suggest Em
MU calibration
2018-2-1
Use props
powers_99
New

So a couple months ago I was flying my Phantom 3 Advanced and I lost connection and it flew into a tree attempting to Return-to-Home. I had come to a conclusion that the GPS module was broken because I wasn't getting any GPS connection and wouldn't fly. I decided to take the path of voiding the warranty, opening it up and replacing the GPS module. After doing this very carefully, I attempted to fly it again and now there is no satellite connection and no GPS, but I can still fly. I can only go up to 100ft and since there is no GPS, it drifts, A LOT. So at the moment I'm at a loss because I'm stuck between finding the fix myself (I've searched the internet everywhere and haven't found anything) and paying to send it to DJI with a voided warranty. If anyone has any idea what is wrong or any ideas I can do to attempt to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
2018-10-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

powers_99 Posted at 2018-10-23 18:46
So a couple months ago I was flying my Phantom 3 Advanced and I lost connection and it flew into a tree attempting to Return-to-Home. I had come to a conclusion that the GPS module was broken because I wasn't getting any GPS connection and wouldn't fly. I decided to take the path of voiding the warranty, opening it up and replacing the GPS module. After doing this very carefully, I attempted to fly it again and now there is no satellite connection and no GPS, but I can still fly. I can only go up to 100ft and since there is no GPS, it drifts, A LOT. So at the moment I'm at a loss because I'm stuck between finding the fix myself (I've searched the internet everywhere and haven't found anything) and paying to send it to DJI with a voided warranty. If anyone has any idea what is wrong or any ideas I can do to attempt to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It's unlikely that your P3 Advanced still is in warranty anyway.
Was it bought brand new less than 12 months ago?
2018-10-23
Use props
ChubbyChaser
lvl.1

United States

powers_99 Posted at 2018-10-23 18:46
So a couple months ago I was flying my Phantom 3 Advanced and I lost connection and it flew into a tree attempting to Return-to-Home. I had come to a conclusion that the GPS module was broken because I wasn't getting any GPS connection and wouldn't fly. I decided to take the path of voiding the warranty, opening it up and replacing the GPS module. After doing this very carefully, I attempted to fly it again and now there is no satellite connection and no GPS, but I can still fly. I can only go up to 100ft and since there is no GPS, it drifts, A LOT. So at the moment I'm at a loss because I'm stuck between finding the fix myself (I've searched the internet everywhere and haven't found anything) and paying to send it to DJI with a voided warranty. If anyone has any idea what is wrong or any ideas I can do to attempt to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It seems that the new GPS fixed your original issue.

Did you do a firmware reset to make sure all the hardware is communicating properly together?
That might be the issue now.
When replacing electronic parts they might have different firmware versions.

Try refreshing your firmware. If that doesn't fix it I would even try reverting back to the oldest version you can.
2020-1-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

ChubbyChaser Posted at 1-3 03:20
Did you do a firmware reset to make sure all the hardware is communicating properly together?  That might be the issue now.

Sir, this thread is two years old.
2020-1-3
Use props
ChubbyChaser
lvl.1

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-3 04:47
Sir, this thread is two years old.

I realize that but yet.... here I was stumbling across it as I was searching out my own answers and saw that he never said he tried that.

Well.... now if someone else comes along maybe they will see that and it can help them.

Anyways.... I signed into the DJI forum for my first time ever so that I could post that.
haha so that's my contribution a couple years late
2020-1-4
Use props
Scott Key
New

United States

ChubbyChaser Posted at 1-4 10:09
I realize that but yet.... here I was stumbling across it as I was searching out my own answers and saw that he never said he tried that.

Well.... now if someone else comes along maybe they will see that and it can help them.

I crashed my phantom 3 advanced last year, gps didn’t work after that.  It’s now 10 months later and I have decided to open up the shell and see what I can find wrong.  Most likely the cable is loose or the gps unit is broken.  I’ll update once I find out what’s wrong with mine.
2020-10-13
Use props
djiuser_o75QkB8gvBuS
lvl.1

United States

Yeah I left a metal tray with a magnet on the bottom of it in my carrying case for my drone. Not realizing that the tray was laying on top of my drone . Right where the GPS module is. So I bought another online used it was supposed to work. Plug it up turn on the remote there's absolutely no GPS signal whatsoever. I've re-updated the firmware I've everything that I could think of.
2020-11-3
Use props
djiuser_o75QkB8gvBuS
lvl.1

United States

I'm having the same exact problem with my GPS module i  had a magnet on a metal tray in my carrying case for it that lon top of the Drone with the modules at and that messed it up and then I went and bought another module and it's still doing the same thing at first it was putting out of the East SC are because here are the wires for the motors weren't sided right so I fixed that now I have the module issue and I've seen videos to where you should be able to fly it without the GPS. I have a different phone I've done everything only thing I haven't done is get a laptop and then download the NASA GPS software and try to updated on a laptop on the Drone itself but if anybody can help us some good advice we'd both surely appreciate it.
2021-3-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Sounds like you have a P2?  

Yes, you can fly without GPS but you still have to have a working GPS system.  Without a working GPS system, it won't start.  

A bad compass can give you major GPS issues.  

If your magnet screwed something up, it would be the compass.  So it's likely it's the compass that needs help, not the GPS module.  I've never heard of a magnet screwing up a GPS module.  

It may be possible to repair your compass.

Otherwise, replace it.  They are dirt cheap these days.

Good luck
2021-3-18
Use props
djiuser_o75QkB8gvBuS
lvl.1

United States

Yeah I made a comment on here about the same as you that he said one with the DPS not connecting I got a phantom 3 Pro and I've had the same issue but mine was created by my mistake by having a battery inside the case but the drums it says that every time I try to turn the motor Zone so I took the are there for the mods and it shows that it has some kind of power but I unplug it it says no GPS but when it's plugged in and says no GPS signal are GPS unconnected. No I know they have downloads on the DJI website for I'd be another GPS stuff like that for going through all your things on your system that's the only other thing I haven't tried if you don't even help.
2021-3-18
Use props
djiuser_SXDQl13ytyW3
lvl.1

Slovakia

hi guys i have same issue and i foud out this... you need to be really carefull when you replacing top shell because dji makes little bit construction disaster regarding this... during placing back shell i acidentally removed really tiny thing from gps module. see in pictures...
2022-11-2
Use props
djiuser_vKK7YLBBuOiW
New
Flight distance : 46936 ft
United States

Can I fly my dji avata drone with no gps signal ? I tried flying it but it will just drift away and fall
2022-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules