Bird Strike Downs Phantom - Damages camera
1556 5 2014-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
markkinley
lvl.4

United States

As I was working with ground station and setting waypoints and altitudes (140' on all three points), I set up short flight in visual range so i could see it,  and press Go.
Phantom dosn't gain the altitude of 140' after lift off. it turns  and as it climbs out it stays low and heads towards trees some 60 yards away.
I trun off xmitter as the phantom approaces trees and as it hovers to retrun ,,,, several birds scatter from the tree and knock it into the limbs and as it tries to rise.... the camera has a stick  lodged in the camera gimba.
By the time I got to it, it had pulled the gimbal out of the magnet inside the housing and the internal magnet dosn't look good. I cleand it up as much as i could but the camera wont straighten up and there's a mechanical noise emitting for the camera housing.......

"first time for testing picture quality"

I hope this is covered under square trade warranty!!!!!

Oh and YES <<< I'M PISSED!

2014-10-26
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

sorry to hear of your incident, but can i suggest before you commit your flight to the aircraft, that you run it in simulation mode first ?
its a great feature which DJI included as a pre flight option.
also i would never recommend you turn off a transmitter, regardless. in your case to regain control back to the radio, you needed to pause the mission. This action will return control to your transmitter and allow you to gain altitude, hover and then bring it back in. Im most cases when in a sticky situation , gaining altitude will buy you valuable thinking time.
2014-10-26
Use props
markkinley
lvl.4

United States

Eirlink - I appreciate the support and comments.. I have safe practices in place on every flight. I am a private pilot my self. I was able to ground station and setting waypoints and altitudes on one prior flight and it worked PERFECTLY!

this attempt went horrible wrong...  to be quite honest, i didn't even consider the "pause button"  once i saw it heading for the trees.. My first instinct was "Return Home" and redo the mission.
the bird still flies and i will recalibrate everything and return to my open filed and play with the pause feature this week....
Thanks for the advice sir
2014-10-27
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

great, you will know the value of having altitude in a tricky situation so !
altitude is your friend, but not forever.
2014-10-27
Use props
anthony_c
New

United States

Did Squaretrade every cover this under your warranty?
2014-12-30
Use props
markkinley
lvl.4

United States

anthony_c     No they did not cover it. Because the failure (accident) occurred within 30 days of the purchase, they passed it back to Ebay to be resolved. Squaretrade considered it a DOA item as the reason to reject the claim.
Ebay open a case for me to return the item and get my cash back... But I would not do that. I still have it and making the repairs myself.

2014-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules