Quick Newbie question before my first flight
1528 16 2015-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

Hi,

I still have not taken my new P2V+ for its first flight.  I have read manuals, watched videos, updated firmware, tested links etc.

I was just want to be sure I have done everything I should before the first flights so any last minute advice appreciated.

- I did do the IMU Calibration but did not do the "advanced calibration"?   Is this important?

- I did not switch to NAZA mode ... thought I would try it first with factory settings ... Just for a short flight.  OK?

- Should I put an altitude limit of 50 feet or so for the initial training flights?  Distance setting?

Larry
2015-4-25
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

Just make sure your in a open area. Naza will allow you to set course/ home lock and set options for RH switch for failsafe or manual, etc. Distance and height can be set at your comfort level. I would set the "go home" altitude to at least 150ft to clear any trees nearby in case you get into that situation where you need to use failsafe or when the battery gets low, It will fly back at that altitude then stop overhead and land where it took off from (home point). Its default set at 65 ft which I think is to low for the average tree. For your first few flights, set altitude at 50-75 ft and radious to around 200 to give you some room. You can always increase it later.
2015-4-25
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Phantom mode is fine to start with.
Basic IMU is ok as long as it was done on a completely level surface.
The first thing you must do right is the compass calibration, well out in the open away from any magnetic interference.
The self tightening props could do with a "nip" just to make sure they are on correctly.
Wait for the slow Green flashes and 7 or more sats on the app display before taking off.
When you do take off, give it a burst of full throttle to hop it into the air, then hover at a few feet to make sure all is well.
Lastly, relax, take your time, slow and steady inputs on the controls, have fun...
2015-4-25
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-25 23:28
Just make sure your in a open area. Naza will allow you to set course/ home lock and set options for ...

David,

You are sure becoming an asset around here. It's nice to see you providing such great info and research to others. Thank you!

Jerry
2015-4-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Larry,

Know your surroundings first off, make sure the weather is descent and not too much wind, try to find a nice open area where you will not feel cluttered or threatened to have to react too quickly and don't bring an audience but maybe someone who will console you should you have a mishap (which you won't do, right!)...
Before you take off, make sure you have acquired adequate sat's and have properly performed the compass calibration...
Make sure when you take off to give it good throttle up...don't baby it on the take off......First time up you will be in awe at it and best to keep attention to it and become very familiar with the RC controls, and the orientation of the front vs. back etc....Landing for the first time can be a bit daunting for many...Don't rush the landing ie. go slow throttle to the ground as you land and use only your left stick in the lock/all the way down position to turn off the motors...(do not worry, the lock position will not shut off the bird in flight if bringing it down from high as the motors will only shut off in this position if it detects no change in movement after about three seconds and i use it regularly to drop from very, very, very high up without any concern!!)...Keep an eye on your battery level and make sure you give yourself plenty of time to land.

I did do the IMU Calibration but did not do the "advanced calibration"?   Is this important?
I never did this nor have i had to do it after nearly 100 full batteries through the Phantom..though i do check it regularly in the Phantom Vision Assistant...If all settings look within spec when you checked them i would leave it alone...and do make sure to calibrate your RC if not done...

- I did not switch to NAZA mode ... thought I would try it first with factory settings ... Just for a short flight.  OK?
Absolutely o.k., if you are doing a short flight, you won't care for what NAZA is until you want to really go out further and really important to know what the switches do in NAZA as you can cause yourself more grief then not if you get into a bind...I flew my first 10 flights or so in Phantom Mode then after watching videos and reading up on NAZA made the switch and never looked back...

- Should I put an altitude limit of 50 feet or so for the initial training flights?  Distance setting?
Not sure i would do a 50' ceiling, in fact i would say if you were concerned to set it to maybe 150-200' and set your distance to maybe 500' to 1,000' or so if that concerned and just keep in it your line of sight!!, you can reach those heights and distances in seconds, not minutes depending on your speeds! I left everything at the default my first few flights!!
Make sure you have an adequate Return to Home Height set if you have selected Return to Home as your failsafe option vs. land otherwise if you initiate the RTH/Failsafe by shutting off the RC then you could run into something on your way back to your home point!!Too many people to mention have made this mistake...
Be sure to be familiar with the Failsafe/RTH in the event of a canundrum!..Worst Case, shut off the RC and have it Return To Home/RTH or Land

I am sure there is more, just go out and have fun and take your time.....
This is one of the best links i have found for additional information with links to numerous videos and great explanation...HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!....https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1h ... ry%20Guide.pdf?dl=0
2015-4-25
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

And if you want to look back on your first flight to see what went well and what went not so well, remember to remove your gimbal guard and lens cap, and insert the camera card
2015-4-25
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-4-26 02:24
And if you want to look back on your first flight to see what went well and what went not so well, r ...

Although, one of the beginner videos suggests removing the camera prior to first flight.   good idea?  

i was thinking of launching from a stiffish padded bath mat to minimize scrapes and scuffs.  make sense?

Larry
2015-4-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-4-26 05:55
Although, one of the beginner videos suggests removing the camera prior to first flight.   good id ...

I would not remove the camera, bad idea I think!..Just make sure the lens cover and gimbal guard are off, otherwise leaaving the gimbal guard on will burn out the camera if left on for any length of time while the Phantom is on...very costly mistake!!
As for the bath mat, what ever works as a launch and touch down pad...seen some strangle ones for sure but whatever works....
Get out and fly it!
2015-4-25
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

bath mat

What a great idea if you have to take off from the dirt(which in Nevada happens a lot) I bet you can go to the dollar store and pick up one very cheep
2015-4-25
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-26 08:22
Or maybe you could take this overload of information with a grain of salt and rely on your own resea ...

Most are good ideas, if it was me, I would leave it in GPS mode until I got used to the pressures I had to put on the sticks to make it react.  The reason to keep in GPS mode at the first few flights is, if you accidently hit a switch and not notice it.  the Phantom would not react as you would think, possibly resulting in a crash.
2015-4-25
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-4-25
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

Thanks to all of you. I hope I am replying properly.

I tend to drive myself nuts over these things...so now what is concerning me is whether ( before I fly the new P2V+) I should try to trade it in for the P3???

I am being bombarded with ads for the P3. Is it a bad decision to have purchased a new P2V+ at this time?

Larry

2015-4-26
Use props
davidw63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-4-25 23:43
David,

You are sure becoming an asset around here. It's nice to see you providing such great info ...

Thanks.. Im still a "senior" amatour working on "Novice" LOL. I did allot of you tubing before my first flights..
2015-4-26
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Larry,
The only one that can really answer that question is you....and there are too many ways to analyze and over analyze it, too many variables we do not know about...

If i had just recently bought a new P2 and did not realize the P3 was being announced and i could return the P2 "as new", i would do it in a heart beat and without remorse!!...Otherwise, if used or not returnable and if it does what I wanted/expected it to do when I bought it, then I would be happy with it, it is no more or no less than what it was reported to be the day I purchased it...I Purchased mine in Dec 2014 and have near 100 full batteries through it, it has worked and lived up to every expectation i had when i purchased it...and more!!

We don't know what all your buying factors were or what your return options are/if any, how much you paid for it, how long ago you actually bought it, how urgently you needed one, could not wait for the P3, did not know about the P3 and so on and so on....

You will get varying opinions from, wow, you were nuts to buy that with the Phantom 3 just announced and with competitive Quads soon being released..Between the P3 Advanced and the P3 Pro which are both based on the P2 (which is a proven product - at least for most of the folks that own them), the P3 Advanced looks to be the best value with many upgrades and i would have already returned the P2V+ if i could and only if I had "just" purchased the P2 and only if it were that simple and only if it would not cost me anything significant... i would do it in a heart beat!..Again, I Purchased mine in Dec 2014 and have near 100 full batteries through it, it has worked and lived up to every expectation i had when i purchased it...and more and i have Zero regrets about the purchase...

Technology is always changing and no matter what you buy, Computer, TV, Cell Phone, anything electronic, there will always be something newer in the very near future...

And on that note..pardon any contradictions in my response....Hope you are happy with whatever you end up doing and do not lose any sleep over it...You will have fun with whatever you end up with...
2015-4-26
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-27 02:12
Larry,
The only one that can really answer that question is you....and there are too many ways to an ...

Thanks.
The other complication for me is that my wife purchased this as a gift and so if I return it I risk insulting and hurting her.
2015-4-26
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-4-27 05:21
Thanks.
The other complication for me is that my wife purchased this as a gift and so if I return  ...

You could always reciprocate and buy her the P3! And  advise her the P2 is the trainer and she can't use the P3 until she is totally familiar with the P2...
2015-4-26
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-27 05:27
You could always reciprocate and buy her the P3! And  advise her the P2 is the trainer and she can ...

Cute idea!

I am now thinking that I will stick with this as my trainer and sell it on ebay if and when i want the upgrade.

larry
2015-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules