Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

I've only had the Mavic Pro for a few weeks and intially used the default Mode 2 but soon changed to Mode 3 and found it easier for some reason.
Just wondering what remote controller Stick Mode everone is using?

(Sorry this is a repost!, only unlocked Poll now)

Thanks!

Single SelectVote, Total 73 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

8.22% (6)
82.19% (60)
8.22% (6)
1.37% (1)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-1-26
Use props
Vincent.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459738 ft
United States

I voted 2, I'm not sure it's this one, but I use the left stick for altitude / rotation and the right one to go in all directions, so the opposite as you
2018-1-26
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Vincent. Posted at 2018-1-26 06:01
I voted 2, I'm not sure it's this one, but I use the left stick for altitude / rotation and the right one to go in all directions, so the opposite as you

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm new to the Mavic Pro. I used Mode 2 for the first week or so but have been flying Mode 3 for the last two.
2018-1-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Vincent. Posted at 2018-1-26 06:01
I voted 2, I'm not sure it's this one, but I use the left stick for altitude / rotation and the right one to go in all directions, so the opposite as you

seY siht noitarugifnoc si edom 2, oops sorry typed this in mode 3

Yes this configuration is mode 2, thats better!
2018-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good poll
2018-1-26
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

QuadKid Posted at 2018-1-26 06:30

I experimented briefly with a custom mode (having used a 3-axis chopper without the roll before), but fell back to mode 2. Much safer to train oneself to use it, than getting used to the other modes and not being able to fly everything.

Btw, made a similar poll about half a year ago:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-107941-1-1.html
2018-1-26
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

I like the default settings for the sticks. Keeps it simple for me if/when I switch to another aircraft.
2018-1-26
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

BumblerBee Posted at 2018-1-26 11:55
I experimented briefly with a custom mode (having used a 3-axis chopper without the roll before), but fell back to mode 2. Much safer to train oneself to use it, than getting used to the other modes and not being able to fly everything.

Btw, made a similar poll about half a year ago:

Thanks! Will check out this poll also.
2018-1-26
Use props
LC17SMP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 331217 ft
United States

Mode 3 here. Too much XBOX i guess.
2018-1-26
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for the input!

I’ve been told there may have been a a similar poll before but I could find that one..

2018-1-26
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

LC17SMP Posted at 2018-1-26 12:52
Mode 3 here. Too much XBOX i guess.

I know what you mean! When I switched to Mode 3 it took me back to the Ghost Recon Future Solder and flying the UAV there
2018-1-26
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

Mode 2 is the standard for U.S. I believe. No right or wrong though. I'm glad the preference is there. I haven't tried any others yet.
2018-1-26
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Brian88 Posted at 2018-1-26 15:40
Mode 2 is the standard for U.S. I believe. No right or wrong though. I'm glad the preference is there. I haven't tried any others yet.

Thanks for your feedback!
2018-1-26
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-1-26 06:30

OK, you get 10 clever points for that one.  
2018-1-26
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Not voting, although I use 2.  On a related note, I did see a YouTube video by Billy Kyle where he talked about a different way to hold the remote.  He preaches using two fingers on each stick, middle finger on the front dials, ring finger on the buttons underneath, and little fingers to hold it up (recommends a lanyard over you neck too).  But the big part is thumb and pointer finger on each stick.  When I remember to do that, I have much better control.
2018-1-26
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mode 2                  
2018-1-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-26 19:00
Not voting, although I use 2.  On a related note, I did see a YouTube video by Billy Kyle where he talked about a different way to hold the remote.  He preaches using two fingers on each stick, middle finger on the front dials, ring finger on the buttons underneath, and little fingers to hold it up (recommends a lanyard over you neck too).  But the big part is thumb and pointer finger on each stick.  When I remember to do that, I have much better control.

Yup, in the FPV racing world it called the "Pinch" method, and gives you a finesse in controlling minute input to the RC.
2018-1-27
Use props
Hexacopter
lvl.4

Australia

I am the bunny who voted for mode 1 as that's the way I have been flying my r/c models for quite a long time

Maybe it's because I am in Australia and everything is upside down here.

I even met a bloke with a reversed throttle, he told me that to pull back the stick to go up was the same for elevator and throttle, it was quite logical to this self taught pilot, he flew quite well so who was I to argue?

At the end of the day it all boils down to what you are comfortable with because once one gets out of the beginner's habit of looking at the sticks it's all in the muscle memory and corrections are made automatically.

* hex *
2018-1-27
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hexacopter Posted at 2018-1-27 02:15
I am the bunny who voted for mode 1 as that's the way I have been flying my r/c models for quite a long time

Maybe it's because I am in Australia and everything is upside down here.

Thanks Mate,

I was expecting that the reversed throttle... was one of the options.
I appreciate your feedback.
2018-1-27
Use props
Hexacopter
lvl.4

Australia

When I was a young bloke, one of my favourite r/c controller set-ups was 'Single Stick'.

Elevator and ailerons as usual, twist the stick for rudder, throttle on a separate sliding/rotary trim.

It was a very natural way to fly but never caught on and I always wondered why?

Plenty of info on a web search. It could be a hit for new pilots if somebody has the balls to re-invent it!

* hex *   
2018-1-27
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-26 19:00
Not voting, although I use 2.  On a related note, I did see a YouTube video by Billy Kyle where he talked about a different way to hold the remote.  He preaches using two fingers on each stick, middle finger on the front dials, ring finger on the buttons underneath, and little fingers to hold it up (recommends a lanyard over you neck too).  But the big part is thumb and pointer finger on each stick.  When I remember to do that, I have much better control.

Using the two finger method is tough on carpel tunnel issues after a lot of flights.
I am a thumber.
2018-1-29
Use props
Peaugh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105295 ft
United States

I've stuck with Mode 2 so far, but plan to check out some of the other control schemes when I can get some air time.
2018-1-29
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks again for everyone’s reply.
I went out today and gave Mode 2 a good go. For some reason my head was stick finding it odd and maybe is the gamer in me...
Happy with either at the end of the day and like what a few have said, it’s what you get use to.

Happy flying!
2018-2-3
Use props
slyfox0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118 ft
Mexico

Mode 2 felt strange and unfamiliar. Switched to mode 3 and it all made sense. Mode 3 for everyone who played FPS games
2018-2-3
Use props
Archie9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47943 ft
Germany

Mode 2 is the best for me..fly safe
2018-2-3
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Interesting, might have to try mode 3, it does sound more natural because of the wasd and mouse control when gaming on a computer.

2018-2-3
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Mode 2 for me since the beginning.
2018-2-5
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Old school here... mode 2 for more than a decade now.
2018-2-5
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-1-29 02:50
Using the two finger method is tough on carpel tunnel issues after a lot of flights.
I am a thumber.

I can firsthand confirm that. But nothing that a surgery or two cannot solve.
2018-2-5
Use props
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

As a Call of Duty player, I use Mode 3 as to closely mimic the controls of most first person shooter video games.
2018-2-5
Use props
Guido-Italy
First Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Hi to all about joysticks: is it possible to remove them in mavic pro controller ?
2018-2-6
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

I was taught in mode 1 when I was about 12 (standard in Australia or at least it was back then) and have been flying RC Aircraft for over 40 years since, so I naturally set it up mode 1. However after doing a training course on the weekend and having to fly the companies 3kg X8 that was in mode 2 I kinda liked it. Mode 2 is a goood mix for heli’s as you have the cyclic on the right with forward back left right and throttle and rotation on the left. Changed the Mavic to mode 2 for a bit but will switch back to mode 1 as it’s just burnt into the brain
2018-2-6
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

SeaComms Posted at 2018-2-6 03:08
I was taught in mode 1 when I was about 12 (standard in Australia or at least it was back then) and have been flying RC Aircraft for over 40 years since, so I naturally set it up mode 1. However after doing a training course on the weekend and having to fly the companies 3kg X8 that was in mode 2 I kinda liked it. Mode 2 is a goood mix for heli’s as you have the cyclic on the right with forward back left right and throttle and rotation on the left. Changed the Mavic to mode 2 for a bit but will switch back to mode 1 as it’s just burnt into the brain

I agree with you that it’s what you started with that sticks!
2018-2-6
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

I'm on mode 2 but only got the Mavic Air yesterday and it's my first drone. I thought it felt weird but seeing the comments about CoD, I now know why, my brain is wired more for mode 3 I think. Will try it out tonight after work
2018-2-6
Use props
DroneMoney#1
New
Flight distance : 8471 ft
United States

I voted #2, because that mode works best for my skillset.
2018-2-6
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-5 12:10
I can firsthand confirm that. But nothing that a surgery or two cannot solve.

MMM. Want me some of that surgery.
If I do I'll get a discount coupon for you.
Maybe they'll offer a BOGO.
2018-2-6
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

So I've tried about tree batteries flying in Mode 3 because it might be more familiar with gaming, but the muscle memory of Mode 2 was to strong and I couldn't get a good feeling for it.

Back to Mode 2 for me
2018-2-20
Use props
JayJ03
lvl.1
United States

Im still experimenting but leaning towards mode 1 or 3.
2019-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules