How works WIFI Channels with RC ?
834 4 2018-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
romainmalin
lvl.2
France

Hi there,

First of all I apologize for my poor English.

I bought a Spark recently and tried to figure out how WIFI Channels works, I'm a real newbie.
I live in France so I understood that I'm under CE regulation so I'm limited to 300m on 5.8Ghz and 500m on 2.4 Ghz.

When I use the phone (S7 European) to pilot the drone the Wifi appears to be set to 2.4Ghz on DJI GO (I've let the setting on Auto).
When I use the RC the Wifi appears to be set on 5.8Ghz on DJI GO  (I've let the setting on Auto).
When I use the RC and a Wifi Anlyzer it's says to me that the Spark-RC-[...] is on 2.4 Ghz.

Does that means that when I use the RC, the connection between AC and RC is on 5.8Ghz and the connection between the phone and the RC is on 2.4Ghz ?

I tried to change this in order to get 2.4Ghz between the AC and the RC so I get 500m (which is a dream I think because I barely get 80m with the actual configuration) but I dont know what am I doing when I change the channel to custom and choose one on 2.4Ghz because it says that the SSID is Spark-RC[...] so I think that I change connection between RC and phone which doesn't appears to be useful....

Moreover when I trie to change channel to custom mode on channel 2 or 3 (or another one on 2.4 Ghz) I lose connection between phone and RC and I'm forced to restore the RC to default (9 sec) to get the connection again... However the connection between the aircraft and the RC continues to work even without the phone...

I could let the  application choose in automatic mode but what's annoying is that when I  look at the channel that is chosen by the application it's still 149  (5.8Ghz) and it always appears with a lot of interference (very high bar compared to others) ....

I there a way to make my Spark get more than 80m playing with Wifi setting ? How to be sure that I have 2.4Ghz between RC and AC ? How can I keep this working with the phone without having to restore default mode ?

Thanks for reading !

2018-1-26
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Your assumptions are correct.
The trouble is that many android phones can’t see the 5.8Ghz channels the rc uses (from channel 149 and up).
That’s why there is a lot of fuzz about using an OTG cable to replace the 5.8GHz phone<->rc link, and downgrade the go app to 4.1.15, where it happened to work.
Iphone works with those 5.8GHz channels.
2018-1-26
Use props
romainmalin
lvl.2
France

heliman Posted at 2018-1-26 06:43
Your assumptions are correct.
The trouble is that many android phones can’t see the 5.8Ghz channels the rc uses (from channel 149 and up).
That’s why there is a lot of fuzz about using an OTG cable to replace the 5.8GHz phonerc link, and downgrade the go app to 4.1.15, where it happened to work.

I assume that the frequence between RC and phone is 2.4Ghz because my android can't read 5.8Ghz am I correct ?

Then the frequence I see on DJI GO when I try a custom one which is always 5.8Ghz on 149 Channel is the frequence between RC and Aircraft because the 2.4Ghz is kind of occupied by the RC-Phone connection ?

I don't want to buy an Iphone and I don't want to void my warranty downgrading...
But I still want to get what DJI promise which is at leat 300m and not the actual 80...

Is there a way to turn my Android Phone to a capable 5.8 Ghz ?
An application or a custom firmware ?

Could DJI do something ?
2018-1-26
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

romainmalin Posted at 2018-1-26 06:55
I assume that the frequence between RC and phone is 2.4Ghz because my android can't read 5.8Ghz am I correct ?

Then the frequence I see on DJI GO when I try a custom one which is always 5.8Ghz on 149 Channel is the frequence between RC and Aircraft because the 2.4Ghz is kind of occupied by the RC-Phone connection ?

Yes, you can root your Android phone and enable 5.8GHz band.
And yes, DJI probably can do something but they are currently busy with Mavic Air so it will probably take a while.
2018-1-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

As mentioned in the first response you could use app version 4.1.15 and an OTG cable. This would free up the 2,4 Ghz connection for RC and AC.
2018-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules