Flying in Class B airspace
6492 14 2018-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
peselito
lvl.2
United States

Hi all.

I have a question concerning flying my drone. I just went out for some test flights and got the message that I'm located in a class B airspace. As a newbie to drone flying, I don't really have a clue if this means that I am not allowed to fly at all or not.

I know that I have to inform surrounding airports and heliports withing 5 miles of my location and I follow these regulations. According to B4uFly app and Airmap app I was surrounded by 7 heliports which I have to inform. I also found this map (https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 8e19806ebf6a06754ad) on the FAA webpage which shows my the circle around Boston Logan international airport. when I zoom in, I'm located in one of the outer boxes where it says 300 ft. in Newton. (see picture below). I'm assuming that this means that I have to inform the Logan airport (even though I'm more than 5miles away according to maps and the 2 apps I mentined above) and I'm not allowed to fly higher than 300ft. Am I correct?

zoom.png
2018-1-26
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Try this, I hope it works.
https://www.dronelaw.pro/faa-air ... s-class-e-airspace/

It explains the grid maps, I think you are correct, I’m still learning.
2018-1-26
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-26 11:58
Try this, I hope it works.
https://www.dronelaw.pro/faa-airspace-authorization-grid-maps-class-e-airspace/

From the link above :

Here is what the FAA said about the grid maps:

The maps depict areas and altitudes near airports where UAS may operate safely. But drone operators still need FAA authorization to fly in those areas.
    The maps are informational and do not give people permission to fly drones. Remote pilots must still submit an online airspace authorization application.

2018-1-26
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

So according to FAA, you need to not just inform airports, you need to get FAA approval.
2018-1-26
Use props
PS013
First Officer
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-26 12:45
So according to FAA, you need to not just inform airports, you need to get FAA approval.

Well, the problem is that the box you are pointing to is just at the limit between two shelves of the Class B airspace.
Around 8 miles of BOS, the class B airspace is from surface to 7000 feet.
After that it is from 2000 ft to 7000ft, then from 3000ft to 7000ft.
EVERY aircraft (huge or tiny) need an authorization from the tower before entering Class B airspace.
At time, even small single engine airplane on VFR will not be cleared to enter a Class B airspace, so it is unlikely that the FAA will allow you to fly inside class B without a PART 107 certification

Look at the map below: If you are outside of the inner circle ( BOS 8NM ) you shoud be OK by just contacting the airport in 5 miles radius of your location.

2018-1-26
Use props
PS013
First Officer
United States

From https://www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/airspace_restrictions/:

"Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both  the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a  tower.
However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B  airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic  permission and coordination."

I added the Class B airspace on the FAA map below, you can ( barely ) see the zone were the surface class B ends.

Untitled.jpg
2018-1-26
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Ok, correct me if I’m wrong.
In the circular chart, the airspace under the area that is 3000 to 7000, could still be class G from the ground to 1200ft AGL
But then if you add the grid chart,  the class G space would be restricted to 300ft AGL under the grid.
2018-1-26
Use props
PS013
First Officer
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-26 13:58
Ok, correct me if I’m wrong.
In the circular chart, the airspace under the area that is 3000 to 7000, could still be class G from the ground to 1200ft AGL
But then if you add the grid chart,  the class G space would be restricted to 300ft AGL under the grid.

Well it could be CLASS G up to 1200ft, but in this case, this airspace is in a CLASS E transition area, so Class E starts at 700ft AGL  

Now regarding the grid chart, I would follow the rule and get an online authorization if flying in that box, or at least make sure to stay well below 300 AGL, and stay clear from the Class B.
But the logical choice would be: Don't fly in that box!
2018-1-26
Use props
peselito
lvl.2
United States

PS013 Posted at 2018-1-26 14:19
Well it could be CLASS G up to 1200ft, but in this case, this airspace is in a CLASS E transition area, so Class E starts at 700ft AGL  [view_image]

Now regarding the grid chart, I would follow the rule and get an online authorization if flying in that box, or at least make sure to stay well below 300 AGL, and stay clear from the Class B.

Thanks for the response. I flew again today and got the same message from my DJI GO app. Even though I am 100% not in the box but further west from it towards Newton, it says that I'm in Class B airspace and should fly with caution.
2018-1-27
Use props
peselito
lvl.2
United States

@PS013: Which website / app are you using for these circular charts?
2018-1-27
Use props
PS013
First Officer
United States

peselito Posted at 2018-1-27 15:13

Skyvector.com or FltPlan.com
2018-1-27
Use props
PS013
First Officer
United States

peselito Posted at 2018-1-27 15:13

Skyvector.com or FltPlan.com
2018-1-27
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

The b4ufly app is the official faa app - you should be able to use it and follow its instructions if flying is allowed and what requirements are needed if any.

You can use the map function place a pin to check out an area before going.

Some larger airports and cities have class b areas with surface restrictions larger than 5 miles (the 5 mile rule is not always correct sometimes it’s larger) always check the b4ufly app it is the official faa resource for hobbyists to see if it is safe to fly

A good rule of thumb to remember is class b - the b stands for busy, don’t fly,
2018-1-27
Use props
peselito
lvl.2
United States

dansmar Posted at 2018-1-27 21:58
The b4ufly app is the official faa app - you should be able to use it and follow its instructions if flying is allowed and what requirements are needed if any.

You can use the map function place a pin to check out an area before going.

I am using this app. When I am planning my flights as you describe, I only get the advisories to contact the heliports around me. I did that but when I start flying the app tells me that I am in class B airspace...
2018-1-28
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

peselito Posted at 2018-1-28 06:27
I am using this app. When I am planning my flights as you describe, I only get the advisories to contact the heliports around me. I did that but when I start flying the app tells me that I am in class B airspace...

Go by what the b4ufly app states - what class airspace does the b4ufly app indicate. This is the official faa app

Use the map function, I have the same issue with the dji app at times, but always fly class g per the b4ufly app
2018-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules