Handheld Gimbal for iPhone??
4238 7 2014-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jbreakstone
New

United States

So I currently own a Tiffen Steadicam Smoothie with mounts for my old iPhone 4s and 5s.  The Steadicam works well, but it is a bit difficult to control, as you must gently use your thumb to keep it steady and to tilt it up or down once it is balanced.  In the wind, it is much more difficult to control..  I recently upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus and I checked Tiffen's website to see if a Steadicam mount was available yet -  it is not, but should be available soon.  I am concerned that the phone is much larger and will catch more wind, thus making it even more difficult to control, so I thought....  Why not check to see if DJI makes a handheld gimbal for iPhones and Android device.  Doesn't look like they do...  Ronin is amazing, but wayyyyyy more powerful and expensive for my needs (and most other smartphone videographers). Ronin has a VERY limited market.

There is an inexpensive Chinese handheld gimbal for Gopro cameras, but nothing for iPhone/Android as far as I can tell...  As an owner of a DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, I am absolutely sold on DJI's gimbal technology, so I humbly ask that DJI use their knowledge and experience to develop a handheld gimbal for smartphones.  Not sure how much people would be willing to spend on this, but I would imagine that $300 to $500 would be well worth it to many, many people.  This would then become a much more mainstream item for DJI (compared to UAVs) and I truly believe this would be a blowout hit.  Newer smartphones like the 6 plus have Optical Image Stabilization, but I can tell you that from experience, OIC is not enough.  A motorized gimbal is the answer and DJI is the company that I know can bring it to market.  I hope the right people at DJI see my post and try to make my dream a reality...  A reply/post from a DJI representative would be awesome!  Hope to hear from you.

Keep making great stuff!!  I love my P2v+!

Thanks!
Jeff
2014-10-26
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I saw a handheld gimbal for an iPhone at Photoshop World.  I do not know the make but someone was using it.
2014-10-27
Use props
Jbreakstone
New

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-10-27 23:56
I saw a handheld gimbal for an iPhone at Photoshop World.  I do not know the make but someone was us ...

Thx. I will look for it...

Jeff
2014-10-31
Use props
Jbreakstone
New

United States

Ok...  I found a Swiftcam M3L from Dict-Creative on eBay ($299) that seems to be what I am looking for, but...  It is not clear whether or not an iPhone 6 plus will work in it.  Helipal's website says it works with iphone 6, but specifically says it will NOT work with the 6 plus.  Some of the eBay listings say that it does work with the plus.  I don't believe it is a weight issue, but rather a size issue.  If anyone can clarify, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
2014-10-31
Use props
Jbreakstone
New

United States

Looks like the M3L WILL work with my 6 Plus....  It's just starting to ship now from Hong Kong.  I'll wait a bit till some reviews are out before I take the plunge...
2014-11-2
Use props
luiggib
New

United States

Jbreakstone@me. Posted at 2014-11-3 09:52
Looks like the M3L WILL work with my 6 Plus....  It's just starting to ship now from Hong Kong.  I'l ...

Jbreakstone, unfortunately it did not hold the Iphone 6 Plus, I just return my m3L that I received on friday from dronesetc.com. I follow the instructions and it did not hold it the Iphone 6 plus is too heavy and the motors just can't hold it. Sorry to let you know.
2014-12-14
Use props
Bleach.e46
lvl.1
Germany

DJI released DJI Osmo Mobile: http://www.drohnen.de/12065/dji- ... -iphone-smartphone/
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

More information on the OSMO Mobile can be found on the DJI Website:

http://www.dji.com/product/osmo-mobile
2016-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now