ipad for mavic pro
3336 9 2018-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RicknCovington
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186322 ft
United States

I'm an android OS and device user, and not real familiar with the Apple devices or iOS, so I have a question.  Whats the major difference between the Ipad Mini 2/3/4?  Looking at an Ipad 2 mini with wifi, no cellular, 16GB.  Is that good enough?  Do I need one with more  memory?  Do I need the cellular for the GPS service?  I only plan to use this Ipad for flying my Mavic Pro.  I figure I can download/cache the maps over wifi before I leave the house, but I'm concerned about the GPS functionality with or without cellular capable phone.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
2018-1-26
Use props
Virgil Quick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

I am sure that there are members of the forum that know much more about the Apple iPad Mini than me but I believe the main difference in the 2/3/4 is the processor speed.  I am running a Mini 4 with wifi only and then, while flying, I create a hotspot with my phone and connect the iPad to the Internet via that connection.  
2018-1-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, the iPads you listed above are on the support list, you can refer to the support list below. And if you are going to choose an iPad mini 2 or the later generations with no Cellular, since it has no GPS module, Follow Me and refresh current position might not work, but other function can work well with this tablet. Hope it helps. devide support list.png
2018-1-26
Use props
BillTheDroneRev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1211427 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an iPad Mini 4 128GB Cellular version and love it. I would highly recommend a cellular one as if your out in the field you can use apps to get accurate weather data or use other drone apps that require a internet connection. The more storage the better. Also, I would refrain from loading a lot of apps on it as it bogs the iPad down. Also, close all apps except DJI Go 4. Hope this helps.
2018-1-26
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use ipad mini 2 wifi only and have been using for about 1yr with no issue. Gofor what  you can afford they all work. I only upgraded my SD card to a 64.
2018-1-26
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-1-26 20:37
I use ipad mini 2 wifi only and have been using for about 1yr with no issue. Gofor what  you can afford they all work. I only upgraded my SD card to a 64.

Same here.. iPad mini 2 wifi only... works great! (I just teather it to my cellular phone / hot spot for internet.)
2018-1-27
Use props
Mike Mavic in Devon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Only the cellular iPad models have GPS built in.  Some people think that you then also have to have a cellular data plan, at additional monthly costs.
This is not the case, the GPS functions work just fine and you don't need to put a SIM card into a cellular iPad to get GPS functionality.
2018-2-6
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

I bought an iPad mini 2 (cellular 128mb)  as  Android was crashing all the time. I found with the iPad mini 2 (in the cold (0-5degC), haven’t tried the heat) ii get cpu overload errors,t’s glitchy and have had complete shutdowns when the Mavic Pro battery gets low (I have no idea how that is related but it seems to be). Afterward I had bought the iPad mini 2 I read that they are prone to shutdowns.
I have found my iPad Pro much much more stable than either of my smaller tablets.

Maybe someone here can tell me if there is a work around for my iPad 2 mini?
2018-2-8
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

I am using the iPad Mini 2. I have never had the app shut down. I did get a CPU warning a few times. And how I cured that I shut down All the other apps and I put it on airplane mode. That iPad is only dedicated towards my MP. Since I have done that everything has been running smoothly have no complaints.
2018-2-8
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-2-8 10:13
I am using the iPad Mini 2. I have never had the app shut down. I did get a CPU warning a few times. And how I cured that I shut down All the other apps and I put it on airplane mode. That iPad is only dedicated towards my MP. Since I have done that everything has been running smoothly have no complaints.

HI, It’s not the app that crashes, it’s whole machine. I’m not sure if it is the cold but it is above 0deg C (usually around 3-5degC). I have all other apps shut down but I will try in airplane mode....cheers...
2018-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules