Mavic Pro - Unable to Calibrate Compass
9030 22 2018-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebCo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 137362 ft
Australia

I've had my Mavic Pro for a little over a year and have up to now had very few issues with flights or updates.

However, in the last couple of weeks, I am constantly getting a "magnetic field interference detected" message and been prompted to recalibrate the compass.

I make sure that I am in an open area, without metal objects (keys/phone/RC) nearby but have been unable to calibrate correctly in the last few weeks (although I have had no problems in the past)

I am running the latest firmware on Mavic and RC and have tried recalibrating in more than 6 different locations (most of which I have successfully calibrated at before), however, the calibration ALWAYS fails when trying to do the second (downwards facing) spin.

I have reset factory default settings and tried different batteries... no success...

I can ignore the error message and fly the drone OK .... but am not keen on doing this for obvious reasons.

I have read threads on this and other forums, and it seems to be an occasional issue - usually requiring the drone to be sent back to DJI for repair.... It is (of course) just outside my 12 month DJI Care program... so I want to make sure I have exhausted all other options before I send it off.

In various forums, there are suggestions that DeGaussing the compasses (there are two on the Mavic Pro) may resolve the issue, but I am not keen to do this unless there seem no other alternatives.

Anyone else been having ongoing compass calibration issues... or have any suggestions for a fix?

2018-1-27
Use props
PabloMontini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 675663 ft
Argentina

Hi all,
I have de same error with my new Mavic (2 week old).
"...the calibration ALWAYS fails when trying to do the second (downwards facing) spin..."
I updated to the last version of firmware and then reset to factory values.

Compass 1: green bar
Compass 2: yellow or red bar

What more can I do?
2018-1-27
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

PabloMontini Posted at 2018-1-27 08:29
Hi all,
I have de same error with my new Mavic (2 week old).
"...the calibration ALWAYS fails when trying to do the second (downwards facing) spin..."

I recall that issue, I'd never calibrated my P3A before, & only reason i did calibrate was prompted to do so.
Had same issue as you are having.
I ended up reloading the Go 4 app, never had issue since.
There is a guy over at Phantom/Mavic pilots site, his company called thunderdrones, he suggested a simple fix, i just can't find his old post.
Post your issue over at Phantom/Mavic pilots site, either thunderdrones he or msinger another DJI pro,  should help you through
2018-1-27
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

fans987d278a Posted at 2018-1-27 11:23
I recall that issue, I'd never calibrated my P3A before, & only reason i did calibrate was prompted to do so.
Had same issue as you are having.
I ended up reloading the Go 4 app, never had issue since.

Thanks... I will check it out
2018-1-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I take it you've calibrated the IMU too?
2018-1-27
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

I hadn't recalibrated the IMU....but will also try that.
2018-1-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WebCo Posted at 2018-1-27 15:33
I hadn't recalibrated the IMU....but will also try that.

Do that indoors on a dead level surface then calibrate your compass outside as per usual. Slow, constant anti clockwise rotation and don't start the next rotation until the led turns green. Also ensure your RC/mobile is a all east 5' away when doing the compass calibration and that you are not wearing an apple watch or even have keys in your pocket - all of these items can cause the cal to fail.
2018-1-27
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-1-27 15:37
Do that indoors on a dead level surface then calibrate your compass outside as per usual. Slow, constant anti clockwise rotation and don't start the next rotation until the led turns green. Also ensure your RC/mobile is a all east 5' away when doing the compass calibration and that you are not wearing an apple watch or even have keys in your pocket - all of these items can cause the cal to fail.

Thanx A CW...

I have done the IMU Calibration
Uninstalled and reinstalled DJI Go 4 App
Even removed the ND filter in case that was somehow causing interference

Still no success... the first (horizontal) spin goes green, but the 2nd (vertical) spin results in an error again.

I will try it again later today out in the middle of a field (there may be some interference at/near home)...

Below is a screenshot of my Sensor Status   :
2018-1-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try the field and see how that goes!
2018-1-27
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

As a quick test, set your drone on a table and monitor the compass as shown on your screenshot, pass a steel object, screwdriver for example, across the nose of the aircraft, you should see the Compass 2 sensor respond to the piece of steel, and then drop back as the test piece moves away. Pass the same tool across the back of the Mavic and Compass 1 sensor should respond to the test piece. if you get no response from the compass you have a faulty sensor. the Compass 1 sensor is part of the GPS module, Compass 2 is on its own in the nose of the A/C.

Not sure a de-gauss will have much effect on an electronic sensor & the covers for the GPS module are aluminum as are all the screws used to secure the compass & GPS covers.
2018-1-27
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

WebCo Posted at 2018-1-27 16:11
Thanx A CW...

I have done the IMU Calibration

I suspect Compass 2 is faulty or have a dodgy data connection as it would give you a 'Compass Disconnect' fault otherwise.
2018-1-27
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-1-27 17:47
As a quick test, set your drone on a table and monitor the compass as shown on your screenshot, pass a steel object, screwdriver for example, across the nose of the aircraft, you should see the Compass 2 sensor respond to the piece of steel, and then drop back as the test piece moves away. Pass the same tool across the back of the Mavic and Compass 1 sensor should respond to the test piece. if you get no response from the compass you have a faulty sensor. the Compass 1 sensor is part of the GPS module, Compass 2 is on its own in the nose of the A/C.

Not sure a de-gauss will have much effect on an electronic sensor & the covers for the GPS module are aluminum as are all the screws used to secure the compass & GPS covers.

Thanks Buzzy,

Some excellent suggestions there that I hadn't thought of... Good to know which sensor is associated with which compass... and it hadn't occurred to me that I could monitor the sensors as conditions changed.

I tried holding some metal (a tyre iron) near to both sensors... whenever the tyre iron was anywhere within a foot or two of the AC Compass 1 (sensor at the back) went off the scale... whereas there was minimal change to Sensor 2 (at the front) no matter where I held the metal.

I also noticed that with the aicraft just sitting on a table.. inside... that Sensor 1 was stable on green (excellent) whereas sensor 2 was mostly red (poor) althogh occassionally flickered to yellow (good).

Looking more and more to me like it is a faulty compass sensor 2 as you suggested.

Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and send it off to DJI for repair (but I will wait until my Mavic Air arrives next week )   
2018-1-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-1-27 17:52
I suspect Compass 2 is faulty or have a dodgy data connection as it would give you a 'Compass Disconnect' fault otherwise.

Yeah, does appear that compass 2 has had it. You can still fly with one compass of course (like the Spark and Mavic Air) but for added safety I'd suggest sending it in to DJI for repair sooner rather than later
2018-1-28
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-1-28 00:00
Yeah, does appear that compass 2 has had it. You can still fly with one compass of course (like the Spark and Mavic Air) but for added safety I'd suggest sending it in to DJI for repair sooner rather than later

Yeah... I acknowledge that I can fly with only one compass.... and have actually done a few simple test flights.... but it is bad enough worrying about the potential for a fly-away when everything is working properly.

I also do some commercial flying with this AC and knowingly flying with a technical issue would not be a great look on the Risk Assessment
2018-1-28
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

Have created a support ticket and they agree it needs to be sent back to be checked...  

Just outside of 12 months since I bought it and my DJI Care has probably just expired too... So looks like I get to pay for shipping and the repair service fee... lucky me ... Grooaann
2018-1-28
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

On the plus side... My new Mavic Air Combo has just been delivered... so at least I will have that to play with
2018-1-28
Use props
PabloMontini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 675663 ft
Argentina

Hi,
Today I passes a steel object, across the nose of the aircraft, and the Compass 2 sensor respond to the piece of steel with a green, yellow and finaly red bar, and then drop back as the test piece moves away, staying to a yellow or red bar again (index 680-750)

Pass the same steel object across the back of the Mavic and Compass 1 sensor respond to the test piece, with a yellow and red bar. Drop back the test piece and get a green bar again.

Conclusion: both sensor react when a steel object approach to them, but I can´t calibrate compass #2.
a) Could a de-guass tool fix this?
b) Is there a way to reset both compass?

Thank in advance and sorry for my english.
2018-1-29
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

Quick Status Update....

I did send my Mavic off to the DJI Repair Center in Australia...

It took them a week or so to receive/process it... but the outcome is a $5 board replacement, $60 service cost, and $15 shipping return... a total of $80.... which is pretty good I reckon.
I have paid and they are currently doing the fix... so I anticipate it will be another week before I get it back... but all in all a pretty good outcome I think
2018-2-7
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

Finally got my "fixed" MP back yesterday....  

It took a day for me to have it delivered to DJI Support....  a week for them to look at it... a few days for them to "fix" it... but a week for them to deliver it back to me.

Compass Calibration is now good.... However... Instead of them "replacing a circuit board" they have actually replaced the whole Mavic Pro .. New serial number and all.

Now.. I don't mind this in principle... but DJI Support did not tell me they had done this (or were going to do it)... I don't know the history of this unit...

Is it a new unit, or a refurbished one ?
What is its flight history ?
Does it have some other issue that I am not (yet) aware of ?  
What is it's warranty/repair status ?  

DJI also didi not explain that I would have to re-link the Remote Controller.

I now (apparently) have a functioning unit... and it only cost me $80... but I am concerned about what may go wrong next...
2018-2-16
Use props
fans39df542b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28645 ft
Australia

Same happened to us. They said they were repairing my husbands MP and the one that turns up has a different serial number. No explanation either. Not a good customer experience. When we tried purchasing Care it said we’d already purchased Care for that serial number. Ummm we didn’t!! Doesn’t feel right having a machine we know nothing about now
2018-3-9
Use props
Dennis Prado
New

United States

man im having the same problem
2023-11-15
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 4532428 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unforetunately it sounds like you're doing everything right. Have you contacted support? It may betie for a service call.
2023-11-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Dennis Prado Posted at 11-15 11:22
man im having the same problem

Hello there. Are you still experiencing the issue? This issue may happen if the electromagnetic interference is relatively strong or the compass hardware is damaged. It is recommended to try to calibrate again in another environment. If the calibration still fails, then it is recommended to send the drone to the repair facility for further checking. You can submit a repair request here: https://repair.dji.com/us/repair/index. The warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the assessment including the warranty period of your unit. We appreciate your patience.
2023-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules