Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Under 250 Grams
12Next >
62459 40 2018-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quintanova
lvl.1

Canada

Hi All,
Im brand spanking newbie here to both droning and this forum. I am from Montreal, where in Canada, the government has introduced necessary but highly restrictive laws regulating drone flying. originally the new laws basically grounded just about every hobby pilot flying a drone above 250 grams (totally unregulated below 250 grams). They have subsequently pulled back somewhat due to outcry from the community, but still have a long way to go in my opinion. Anyone else here from Canada?
Basically, I've been practicing on a small Syma X5 (toy) in order to get used to flying manually before graduating to what I thought would be a Mavic. I am now so upset about these Canadian regulations that I am seriously considering purchasing a drone that falls under the 250 gram category. As I am sold on DJI products, having read countless reviews and opinions, I was further disappointed to learn taht DJI does not have a product under 250 grams, at least not yet. Then I heard rumors that DJI was working on a new version of the Spark that will be under 250 grams. Oh joy!!!
Has anyone heard about this? Any idea of the quality...launch date...price point? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Quint

2018-1-27
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

Haven't heard of new spark. But there is the tello drone from ryze robotics which has dji tech in flight controller onboard.
2018-1-27
Use props
Quintanova
lvl.1

Canada

spookster Posted at 2018-1-27 06:25
Haven't heard of new spark. But there is the tello drone from ryze robotics which has dji tech in flight controller onboard.

Thanks I'll check that out.
2018-1-27
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

Tello in the DJI store.
Should launch in March

https://www.ryzerobotics.com/?utm_source=dji&utm_medium=store&utm_campaign=product_page

2018-1-27
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Tello is very sophisticated, but has no gps, and brushed motors. I shall get one ,only 100 quid, but it's along way from a spark
2018-1-27
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Ya the take off weight if the spark is about 305 grams and yes im in Canada too so all the laws apply to me as well. If your flying for recreational  purposes you dont need anything like insurance etc.. you just have to follow a few simple rules. https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docum ... to_fly_my_drone.pdf
2018-1-27
Use props
deedub35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 131680 ft
Canada

I live in Kelowna and bought a Spark for Christmas. As a newbie I don’t find the regulations restrictive at all.

Keep it in sight and within 500m. Well within my comfort zone as a new pilot. Why would I want to go farther given a 12 minute battery?

Keep it under 90m. Again, why do I need to go higher as a newbie? It’s the size of a dot that high.

Keep 30m away from others and 5.5km from airports. Common sense.

Don’t need a license, safety course, or permission. Not restrictive at all.
2018-1-27
Use props
Quintanova
lvl.1

Canada

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-1-27 07:25
Ya the take off weight if the spark is about 305 grams and yes im in Canada too so all the laws apply to me as well. If your flying for recreational  purposes you dont need anything like insurance etc.. you just have to follow a few simple rules. https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-opssvs/Infographic_-_Do_I_need_permission_to_fly_my_drone.pdf

I guess I'm ill informed as I was under the impression that if you are flying a drone over 250 grams, that you still needed to take a sfety course/online exam and liability insurance? Is that no longer the case?
2018-1-27
Use props
deedub35
lvl.3
Canada

Quintanova Posted at 2018-1-27 10:04
I guess I'm ill informed as I was under the impression that if you are flying a drone over 250 grams, that you still needed to take a sfety course/online exam and liability insurance? Is that no longer the case?

That was never the case. Read the regulations on the link provided a few posts up. If you fly your drone for fun and it is under 35kg then you are good.
2018-1-27
Use props
deedub35
lvl.3
Canada

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... safely-legally.html
2018-1-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

deedub35 Posted at 2018-1-27 11:51
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/flying-drone-safely-legally.html

Apart from the altitude at 90M (120M in the UK) the rest is practically the same and quite common regs in most countries. Quite fair really.
The main thing that I remember from the Canadian authorities when they brought out the new rules is that they encouraged members of the public to report drone offences and if caught you would get an immediate $3,000 fine. There again, no fine if you follow the rules in the first place.
2018-1-27
Use props
Quintanova
lvl.1

Canada

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-1-27 07:25
Ya the take off weight if the spark is about 305 grams and yes im in Canada too so all the laws apply to me as well. If your flying for recreational  purposes you dont need anything like insurance etc.. you just have to follow a few simple rules. https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-opssvs/Infographic_-_Do_I_need_permission_to_fly_my_drone.pdf

Thank you, I like the simple flow chart. Very helpful. What about liability  insurance. Do any of you take out such insurance.
2018-1-27
Use props
Far_North
lvl.4
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

deedub35 Posted at 2018-1-27 11:43
That was never the case. Read the regulations on the link provided a few posts up. If you fly your drone for fun and it is under 35kg then you are good.

Our Canadian regs are changing this year.  Transport Canada has posted what will most likely be the new rules later this year.

Very small drone operations
Very small drone more than 250 g to 1 kg

Most recreational users will fit into this category. The rules that apply are easy to understand and follow.

Pilots must be 14 years old or older and will be required to:

mark their device with their name and contact information;
pass a basic knowledge test;
have liability insurance $100,000; and
fly at least:
5.5 km from airports
1.85 km from heliports
30 m from people
2018-1-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Far_North Posted at 2018-1-27 15:25
Our Canadian regs are changing this year.  Transport Canada has posted what will most likely be the new rules later this year.

Interesting to know - thanks for the update
2018-1-27
Use props
deedub35
lvl.3
Canada

The proposed new rules are on the website as well. I will be keeping an eye on those. If they pass legislation having to get liability insurance changes the game. The knowledge test won’t be a big deal - probably some common sense questions and reciting those safety distances on an online test.
2018-1-27
Use props
djiuser_yxfdr03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338222 ft
Canada

Good old Canada. My guns don't need liability insurance but my drone might lol.
2018-1-27
Use props
Quintanova
lvl.1

Canada

Far_North Posted at 2018-1-27 15:25

I cant say I'm in agreement with the insurance. Anyone have any idea how much $100k insurance will cost? Sounds like a money grab.
2018-1-27
Use props
deedub35
lvl.3
Canada

How much damage can a 300g drone cause? In an accident the drone will be damaged or destroyed. It’s a game of what-ifs. What if the drone hits a car and the car plows into a house?

Then again kids playing basketball on the driveway could cause the same accodent if the ball rolls onto the street. Are they going to propose insurance on playing sports outside?

2018-1-27
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

deedub35 Posted at 2018-1-27 07:45
I live in Kelowna and bought a Spark for Christmas. As a newbie I don’t find the regulations restrictive at all.

Keep it in sight and within 500m. Well within my comfort zone as a new pilot. Why would I want to go farther given a 12 minute battery?

If you follow the links to the Canada Gazette the rule that is only partially stated in the forum is actually this.
(3) No person shall operate a model aircraft having a total weight of more 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 1 kg (2.2 pounds) at a lateral distance of less 100 feet (30 m) from vehicles, vessels or the public, including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft.
That means 30m away from any street or passers by.  This is difficult to do in an urban environment.  But its a lot better than when the included houses and animals in this rule.
2018-1-27
Use props
Quintanova
lvl.1

Canada

djiuser_yxfdr03 Posted at 2018-1-27 15:43
Good old Canada. My guns don't need liability insurance but my drone might lol.

Yeah, go figure.
2018-1-27
Use props
Quintanova
lvl.1

Canada

deedub35 Posted at 2018-1-27 16:02
How much damage can a 300g drone cause? In an accident the drone will be damaged or destroyed. It’s a game of what-ifs. What if the drone hits a car and the car plows into a house?

Then again kids playing basketball on the driveway could cause the same accodent if the ball rolls onto the street. Are they going to propose insurance on playing sports outside?

Good point.
2018-1-27
Use props
deedub35
lvl.3
Canada

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-1-27 18:10
If you follow the links to the Canada Gazette the rule that is only partially stated in the forum is actually this.
(3) No person shall operate a model aircraft having a total weight of more 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 1 kg (2.2 pounds) at a lateral distance of less 100 feet (30 m) from vehicles, vessels or the public, including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft.
That means 30m away from any street or passers by.  This is difficult to do in an urban environment.  But its a lot better than when the included houses and animals in this rule.

I've never heard of this Canada Gazette till just now. I am reading up on the Interim Order No. 7 and Regulations Amending the CAR (UAS). Thanks for pointing this out!
2018-1-27
Use props
changary
lvl.1

Canada

If you refer to AirMap: https://app.airmap.io/geo?49.893012,-119.456397,11.560584z

Unless you live in Westbank or the Indian Reserve, you are in the no fly zone.
2018-1-29
Use props
deedub35
lvl.3
Canada

changary Posted at 2018-1-29 14:47
If you refer to AirMap: https://app.airmap.io/geo?49.893012,-119.456397,11.560584z

Unless you live in Westbank or the Indian Reserve, you are in the no fly zone.

The large box on the map is class D so you are correct.  In that zone is Kelowna International Airport and some heliports.  So I guess they just made it a box to make it easier.  I live at the southern edge of the box and fly south and east.
2018-1-29
Use props
deniscarl.gmail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26001 ft
Canada

Well, one of the new laws was also about not having the right to fly in a controlled airspace, I live in Montreal and I got to drive at least 20km to get out of that restricted area.

I got thousands of great pictures I don't have the rights to take again because of those stupid new laws.
As for a few examples you can look these 2 sphericals on Google Maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/oj9tZZAtXPS2
https://goo.gl/maps/MUD51b9mDW62

2018-2-25
Use props
deniscarl.gmail
lvl.1
Canada

If you look airmap where I live it's just a big blob of no fly zones over no fly zones all around.
https://app.airmap.io/geo?45.488914,-73.546382,9.533508z
They just got a total load of contempt towards us, I'm not pleased.
2018-2-25
Use props
Meantux
lvl.1
Canada

So? Is it coming? Is DJI committed into producing one day a Spark under 250gr? Or should we start looking somewhere else?
2018-4-13
Use props
Meantux
lvl.1
Canada

So? Is it coming? Is DJI committed into producing one day a Spark under 250gr? Or should we start looking somewhere else? It has been 13 months now since our (retarded) Minister of transport had produced and put into immediate effect his special anti-drone laws. My Phantom3Adv has been collecting dust on a shelf since then.  I need a drone under 250 grams with a decent camera, GPS/Glonass stabilization and a camera stabilizer to resume what was my most satisfying hobby. Right now it's just rage and sorrow­.
2018-4-13
Use props
In-mexico
New
Mexico

I live in Mexico. As of December 1st. flying a drone over 250 gm without registering can cost you up to $24,000 in fines, Want to register? OK, you can, but only if you were born in Mexico. Looks like I'll be putting my P3A and P3P up for sale, just in time for Christmas.
2018-11-3
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

It is quite worrisome, but most of these regulations are unfortunately the result of people that are not responsible enough when flying a drone.
2018-11-3
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

Hi,

A source of info for us Canadians:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... safely-legally.html
2018-11-3
Use props
Mhinc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

I am not sure what you read, but you are highly mistaken in regards to Canada's laws regarding drones.  I would suggest you read over the
2018-11-4
Use props
Mhinc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

I am not sure what you read, but you are highly mistaken in regards to Canada's laws regarding drones.  I would suggest you read over the link below, Canada's laws aren't very strict at all, it's just a matter of being smart:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... safely-legally.html

Specifically:
Review these rules before flying a drone for fun, if the drone weighs over 250 g and under 35 kg

Fly your drone:
  • below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)
  • at least 76 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 1 kg and up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.6 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
  • at least 1.9 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number

2018-11-4
Use props
Goldorak
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36890 ft
Canada

I started to look into buying a DJI Spark to make vacations movie and film my adventures.  I agree that the rules regulating the drone are not that bad and are for safety. Did someone ever thought what happen if a drone loose power, battery, run away and it crash causing a deadly accident somewhere? $100K is not even sufficient! You can get insurance for about $210 for $1M or $220 for 2$M, but this is just for Canada. In the US they offer pay per hour insurance, hopefully when the new law come in, more insurances will react here in Canada. I call my home insurance and most home insurance won’t even cover you for liability in case you cause or injure someone with your drone! They have been a few cases of drone crashing into people’s after malfunction, and peoples are going after the operators!

I personnaly wont fly a drone for fun without being insure!
2018-11-26
Use props
fans0511846b
New

Canada

Looks like it is comming soon I will wait until spring

/bestdroneunderhalfapound.com/dji-spark-2-drone-under-250-grams

You also have some other more or less serious contenders : CX-23, Dream, etc.

Now as for these highly restrictive cacanadian laws, it looks like there are still (?) few adventages if under 250g.

Am I righ to say that if under 250g, you ONLY have to follow these:

Tips for safely flying recreational drones
Fly your drone during daylight and in good weather
Keep your drone where you can see it with your own eyes – not through an on-board camera, monitor or smartphone
Make sure your drone is safe for flight before takeoff
Ask yourself, for example: Are the batteries fully charged? Is it too cold to fly?
Respect the privacy of others - do not fly over private property or take photos or videos without permission
Find more safety guidelines for recreational drones (model aircraft) and unmanned air vehicles in Advisory Circular AC 600-002.

So, you do not have to consider the airports "No Flight Zone" ?

Of course if Recreative flights only...

Thanks for helping

Denis
2018-12-8
Use props
Obtuso
lvl.3
Flight distance : 770046 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I live in Spain and I just sold my beloved Mavic Air because I'm tired of trees, rivers, countryside... I want to take pictures od my city!! The monuments, the local castle, many interesting places that are not allowed to film with a drone over 250 grs.
I really hope DJI just listen to the market. It's a clear case of an unnexplored niche market. There is literally no drones out there with a true decent (1080p / 3-axis stabilized) camera and proper flight behavior (GPS / hover control). I mean, I'd be glad to pay $1000 for a Mavic Air-like drone under 250 grs. I know this is very difficult to achieve for the time being, but it's not so difficult to imagine a 249grs Spark, maybe with a smaller battery. Personally I'd rather less flight time if I could fly over urban areas. There is no problem for me in replacing batteries after 10 minutes, after all, I couldn't take it away over 500 m aprox. (0,3 miles) due to the fact that the drone must be controlled within visible range, and that's no very much in urban areas.
Maybe some day...
2018-12-11
Use props
Hixbot
New

Canada

More than 30 meters away from any person seriously limits the ability to take family photos the way the Spark marketing demonstrates.  Not to mention pretty much all urban spaces are no fly zones, or controlled air space.

If there was a drone that can do decent photography under 250g, I'd like to buy it.
2018-12-12
Use props
fans581ec539
New

Canada

I would definitely buy a drone under 250 grams
I won’t buy over that weight because it’s too hard to find a location where I could legally fly in Canada
2019-4-28
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

fans581ec539 Posted at 4-28 09:47
I would definitely buy a drone under 250 grams
I won’t buy over that weight because it’s too hard to find a location where I could legally fly in Canada

I fully agree with you, a drone like the spark weighing 249g would be ideal!
S.
2019-4-29
Use props
Droningalex (Alex B.)
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

My guess is that the spark 2 will be under 250 grams

Flysafely all
Droningalex aka Alex B.
2019-4-30
Use props