Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans423de705
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

The size great
The sensors awesome
The flight time..no good. Flight time needs to increase not decrease on new drones
The range..no good. Range needs to increase, not decrease on new drones
The decibal level..no good. Decibal level needs to stay the same or decrease on new drones.
The connection technology..no good. Need OcuSync, Lightbridge or better. Cant go BACK to wifi on a new drone.

Cant wait for the Mavic Air Platinum.

I think the target audience is unhappy Spark customers. If you have a Mavic Pro there is too much downside and not enough upside.
2018-1-27
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I think the mark you are expecting will be hit with Mavic 02... not a "Mavic Air Platinum" which will come in a diferent color and new propellers...
2018-1-27
Use props
Spark23
First Officer
Flight distance : 70577 ft
United States

Sorry, I had to laugh at this post a bit. Not sure what you expect from a drone that can fit in the palm of your hand.  It’s an engineering miracle they could cram all of that technology onboard.  Yes the Mavic Pro 2 will have more, but the size will be significantly greater and of course, more expensive.
2018-1-27
Use props
fans423de705
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2018-1-27 18:39
I think the mark you are expecting will be hit with Mavic 02... not a "Mavic Air Platinum" which will come in a diferent color and new propellers...

Agreed. I wouldnt mind paying $1,000+ for a Mavic Air size drone that can fly for 30+ minutes and have a range of 4+ miles.

I love DJI but I am going to have to wait until their engineers figure out a way to pack all those features in a Mavic Air sized drone.
2018-1-27
Use props
fans423de705
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Spark23 Posted at 2018-1-27 18:43
Sorry, I had to laugh at this post a bit. Not sure what you expect from a drone that can fit in the palm of your hand.  It’s an engineering miracle they could cram all of that technology onboard.  Yes the Mavic Pro 2 will have more, but the size will be significantly greater and of course, more expensive.

ITs not impossible..this is what they can do for a 799 drone...they can pack all the tech we want into a drone that size..but they have to consider cost, profit margin and regulations....I for one would pay more for a drone this size that was comparable in performance to the Mavic Platinum.
2018-1-27
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Range is ultimately limited by the FCC in USA, Max TX power for this type of device. 200mW (<=23dbm) .??
Also the AC & RC need reciprocal power so more range more power and AC gets bigger

Unless they use one of the newer battery technologies Lithium/Oxygen vs Lithium/Ion then flight time = power = size
2018-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Flight time no good, maybe for you but most enthusiasts can plan great stuff with time available.
Range no good. 2.5 miles , why would you need more when it’s illegal to fly beyond VLOS
Decibel level to high, it’s just a little lower than Mavic Pro (almost the same) and if your interest is in flying out of VLOS then you won’t hear anything.
The connection technology is no good, I’m taking it you have tested this or are you just presuming .
You forgot to mention that it’s 400/500 cheaper than MPP and has many features you won’t see until Mavic Pro 2 comes out.

I believe this drone has its place in dji range and most will be very Happy they purchased it.

2018-1-28
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-28 04:22
Flight time no good, maybe for you but most enthusiasts can plan great stuff with time available.
Range no good. 2.5 miles , why would you need more when it’s illegal to fly beyond VLOS
Decibel level to high, it’s just a little lower than Mavic Pro (almost the same) and if your interest is in flying out of VLOS then you won’t hear anything.

Thank you for this, you have taken the words out of my mouth ;-)
2018-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-28 08:48
Thank you for this, you have taken the words out of my mouth ;-)

No problem.
2018-1-28
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

it’s just a new product.  Let it go.  
2018-1-28
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

Good or bad on this one has to depend on where you're coming from. A Mavic Pro or Pro Platinum user probably isn't going to trade or augment their drone fleet for an Air unless they happen to find a specific niche it can cover. Someone new to drones or moving up from the mass drones (Parrot maybe?) might see a lot of value in the Air and take the leap where they couldn't or wouldn't with the MP or MPP.

I have to say, I was disappointed with the announcement after all the build-up. From my perspective (owner of 2 MPPs), I was expecting The MP2 or something with some enhanced features. Waterproof would be nice! Then again, I kind of would like to have seen less effort in a new drone and more in stability and enhancements of existing drones. How cool would it be to see most of the "lost my  drone" and "drone went nuts" posts start to dry up and see more "wow! look what I shot" posts?
2018-1-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14044580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OP - There has never been a Mavic AIR released before now so how can you say it's decreased so much and against what? It's not being advertised as a Mavic Pro 2, It's not a Pro grade or platinum anything and it's not a Spark either. Your post is like saying why did they only bring out 4K video on the Phantom 4 Advanced after bringing out 5.2K on the Inspire 2 - 4K is going backwards right? The Air is in a class of it's own in the DJI line up and should be assessed on it's individual merits as a high tech mini drone. It's not designed to cruise at 30MPH for 25 minutes and reach distances of 3 or 4 miles whilst recording c.4K over a FHD live feed. If you like it buy it if not, wait for the next one and appreciate what you already have in the interim.  
2018-1-28
Use props
Sparky David
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

fans423de705 Posted at 2018-1-27 18:43
Agreed. I wouldnt mind paying $1,000+ for a Mavic Air size drone that can fly for 30+ minutes and have a range of 4+ miles.

I love DJI but I am going to have to wait until their engineers figure out a way to pack all those features in a Mavic Air sized drone.

Could you please explain to me why ANYONE would want to fly a UAV 4 miles or more.

Where do you fly that you have 4 miles VLOS and what sort of eyes/glasses/supervision have you acquired?

Stuff like this will just bring more regulations to stop the idiots.
2018-1-28
Use props
Sparky David
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

I read this article while waiting for a haircut on Saturday, another idiot, trying to spoil things for everyone.

Another post of a near miss
2018-1-28
Use props
fans423de705
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-28 09:03
OP - There has never been a Mavic AIR released before now so how can you say it's decreased so much and against what? It's not being advertised as a Mavic Pro 2, It's not a Pro grade or platinum anything and it's not a Spark either. Your post is like saying why did they only bring out 4K video on the Phantom 4 Advanced after bringing out 5.2K on the Inspire 2 - 4K is going backwards right? The Air is in a class of it's own in the DJI line up and should be assessed on it's individual merits as a high tech mini drone. It's not designed to cruise at 30MPH for 25 minutes and reach distances of 3 or 4 miles whilst recording c.4K over a FHD live feed. If you like it buy it if not, wait for the next one and appreciate what you already have in the interim.

With every drone release they have a target audience. Based on the specs of the MA it looks like they are targeting Spark customers or Parrot customers. If you already have a MP this would be a downgrade in terms of range and flight time.

Thats all I am saying. Anyways. Thanks for all of your responses.
2018-1-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14044580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But a MP/P owner (such as myself) who wants to buy a smaller drone for a different flight dynamic may be interested in buying it to add to their existing set up rather than replace anything as it’s not a replacement of the MP so it’s futile comparing them. People should just buy what suits their needs. The MA looks like a great drone for what it is designed to do.
2018-1-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

I think it's a bit early to be making such sweeping statements.  Let's wait and see some great footage from the first owners.  I've got one on my wish list.
2018-1-28
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-28 04:22

All good points. I plan my flights and rarely exceed 15 minutes.
2018-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

m1shootr Posted at 2018-1-28 13:46
All good points. I plan my flights and rarely exceed 15 minutes.

I think this could be a great drone, looking forward to it arriving.
2018-1-28
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's a great drone already, did you not see all the famous YouTube reviewers on day one, they all loved it, so it must be the best drone ever!  
2018-1-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

As you can see, it has the smaller size of the drone and the battery than Mavic Pro, and the max flight time is 21 minutes (at a consistent 25 kph) for Mavic Air, it has been the optimized version for the best design. The enhanced WiFi for Mavic Air has up to 4000 meters in transmission distance with 2.400 - 2.4835 GHz in FCC mode, may I know how far did you fly? If the distance is not too far, please ensure that you have released the antennas on the front legs, change the antennas of the RC, distance should be greater than height during flight, the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft, make sure the interference is not too much. See if it helps. Mavic Air has the regular props but not low-noise props, hope it will support the low noise props in the future. Thank you for your attention and your support.
2018-1-28
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I don't think the complaint about wifi is as much about not being able to fly 4 miles as it is more about the quality of the signal strength. WiFi is a concern due to high susceptibility to interference over other technologies like Occusync. Maybe this one uses wifi 2.0 or something...
2018-1-28
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

You obviously don't have one in hand yet.... Sorry for you... I have a MPP which I love... but this little guy fills a need, and I HAVE ONE IN HAND TODAY SO I CAN SPEAK TO HOW IT REALLY PERFORMS!  I like it and it fills a niche.  I plan to keep my MPP for local use -- and travel with the Air.
2018-1-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Or the Mavic Pro II
2018-1-29
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4