Mavic lands in the sea with full up throttle
1400 25 2018-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9e3a82bd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3737 ft
United States

I took off from the boat dock behind my house. The drone went to about 12 feet high 25 feet away from  me. Said “max alitude reached” “new home base set” “landing”. The drone started descending at which point I put full up throttle. The drone continued descending. I steered the drone close to the shore still having full up throttle, until it impacted the water. I recovered the drone explained what happened to DJI in the box that I shipped the drone to them. They immediately sent me an E mail stating the damage was not covered under warranty and the repair cost would be $795. I called DJI told them that I did not agree with them denying my claim because once the flight records were reveiwed it was obvious it was a malfuntion. At that point they ask  my sign on to the DJI app to look at the recards. They said they would get back to me in a day or two. It has been a week already.   Any thoughts or ideas would appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
Pompano Beach Fl
2018-1-27
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

Honestly get ready to dish out the money. They will not cover that. Personally I don’t understand why people just don’t call State Farm insurance company and get these insured. It’s $60 a year full replacement value no questions asked. DJI is there to make money not friends. Lol. That refresh program that’s nothing but another way to get money out of people.
2018-1-27
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

Sorry for your loss Dave.

There are so many things that could have gone wrong including pilot error and without the flight log impossible to form an opinion.

Hope that you get sorted out soon and keep on pushing for an answer, the live chat sometimes gets results or PM a mod. Good luck.
2018-1-27
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer
Australia

Sorry to hear that . Check with your house insurance for next time . I fully insured mine for only $6 a month if anything happens they replace it.
2018-1-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sorry for your lost. Please wait patiently for the analysis of the support. If you have doubt, please inform us.
2018-1-28
Use props
fansfb1bf277
lvl.3
Flight distance : 104449 ft
Ukraine

This looks like visual sensors malfunction people say caused by faulty firmware 0200
2018-1-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Without more information nobody can offer more than speculation on whether DJI was right or wrong. If you believe the landing was caused by a defect then please upload the flight log (TXT file from your mobile device) to PhantomHelp using these instructions and post a link to it in this thread so that we can see what happened.
2018-1-28
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-1-27 23:37
Honestly get ready to dish out the money. They will not cover that. Personally I don’t understand why people just don’t call State Farm insurance company and get these insured. It’s $60 a year full replacement value no questions asked. DJI is there to make money not friends. Lol. That refresh program that’s nothing but another way to get money out of people.

The drone coverage is like $8 a year... the $60 is the minimum. You can add more items to your policy until you reach the $60 mark...
https://www.statefarm.com/insura ... nal-articles-policy
2018-1-28
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gregbella Posted at 2018-1-28 01:58
Sorry to hear that . Check with your house insurance for next time . I fully insured mine for only $6 a month if anything happens they replace it.

OP: Sorry without the logs there is no way any of us can determine who is at fault.
2018-1-28
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed post flight logs.
2018-1-28
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Seems to me that you took off before it got GPS so while it was over water, it gained GPS and set its current location as the home point. It probably was low on battery and started to RTH. Since it was near the home point it landed at its current location
Tip: To cancel auto landing, full throttle stick up and release and push it up again continuously until it stops landing.

Only the flight log can tell what actually happened.
2018-1-28
Use props
fans9e3a82bd
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for your help. I'm new at this I hope this link works to get the flight records. I don't have a Mac only a PC
Regarding the insurance, when I purchased the drone I bought an insurance policy from CPS through the  the shop where I bought the drone. There brochure specifically says liquid damage is covered. BUT when I filled the claim they produced some fine print that says full salt water submersion is not covered. So forget CPS I will with Allstate or my home owners policy.

I think you are right about the GPS issue but the battery was fully charged. Unless I am missing something it should have responded to the up throttle command even in ATI mode. Also I am a restricted airspace and went to the DJI GEO app put my controller number in and got a release where I could take off, called the Pompano Beach control tower and got approval.. I have done this several times in the past and it worked fine.  
Thanks
Dave
Pompano Beach FL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egg056 ... 4-01-32%5D.txt?dl=0
2018-1-28
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

With practically no information it sounds to me like you may have used a battery that had self discharged and even though it may have said it was 60% charged it may not have been because what you are describing sounds like the quad went into a low voltage auto land....
2018-1-28
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

fans9e3a82bd Posted at 2018-1-28 07:43
Thanks for your help. I'm new at this I hope this link works to get the flight records. I don't have a Mac only a PC
Regarding the insurance, when I purchased the drone I bought an insurance policy from CPS through the  the shop where I bought the drone. There brochure specifically says liquid damage is covered. BUT when I filled the claim they produced some fine print that says full salt water submersion is not covered. So forget CPS I will with Allstate or my home owners policy.

Posted it for you.
Fly log
Looks like NFZ.
2018-1-28
Use props
fans9e3a82bd
lvl.1
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-1-28 08:09
Posted it for you.
Fly log
Looks like NFZ.

Thanks for your help posting the flight data. I have flown off of the dock several times and have gone to the DJI GEO APP and but in my controller number, which I did this time and it would let me take off. If I didn't do that it would not let me start the engines.  I am still a having a problem understanding why I didn't respond to my up throttle.
Any ideas? would this be coincided a malfunction?
Thanks again for your help.
2018-1-28
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

fans9e3a82bd Posted at 2018-1-28 08:39
Thanks for your help posting the flight data. I have flown off of the dock several times and have gone to the DJI GEO APP and but in my controller number, which I did this time and it would let me take off. If I didn't do that it would not let me start the engines.  I am still a having a problem understanding why I didn't respond to my up throttle.
Any ideas? would this be coincided a malfunction?
Thanks again for your help.

Sorry to say it but looks like pilot error.
You started with CSC command witout GPS and witout the drone knowing it was in warning zone.
Whe you get GPS it is inside NFZ and therefor it auto land which you can't abort.
Might be wrong  but I newer take the chance to take of near NFZ without GPS.
2018-1-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That looks like a perfect explanation.
No GPS on take off - flies into an NFZ, satellites received to create a GPS lock mid air then the drone realises it is in a restricted GEO fenced area and auto lands into the water... If you waited for a home point to be recorded on the map before take off this would have been avoided as the drone would not have taken off in the first place. Very sorry to read this and for your loss but this does appear to be pilot error. I hope DJI Support can do something for you here.
2018-1-28
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... only 5 satellites isn't enough... why not wait a little longer before take-off?
2018-1-28
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

A CW Posted at 2018-1-28 09:21
That looks like a perfect explanation.
No GPS on take off - flies into an NFZ, satellites received to create a GPS lock mid air then the drone realises it is in a restricted GEO fenced area and auto lands into the water... If you waited for a home point to be recorded on the map before take off this would have been avoided as the drone would not have taken off in the first place. Very sorry to read this and for your loss but this does appear to be pilot error. I hope DJI Support can do something for you here.

Is it right understanding that using CSC command without GPS somehow bypass the app and therefor the Goe NFZ which the OP had permission to fly in? Then when it get GPS it don't look if he has that permission just force landing?
2018-1-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

G_Sig Posted at 2018-1-28 11:09
Is it right understanding that using CSC command without GPS somehow bypass the app and therefor the Goe NFZ which the OP had permission to fly in? Then when it get GPS it don't look if he has that permission just force landing?

My understanding is that without a GPS connection and home point recorded prior to take off the drone will set the home point at it's current location during flight when enough sat's are received mid air - which is obviously not a good idea if thats far from away from you. With a GPS module in a cellular device you can activate the dynamic home point function and switch to set the home point at your location mid air as a way to overcome this.
With regards to geo fencing, you can take off manually even without a device connected to the RC but there are height and distance restrictions during flight. In this case, with a device connected, the NFZ identified it's location upon a GPS connection after take off and landed itself as in a NFZ. If permission was granted to fly there this must have been checked within the app before take off after setting the home point. Nobody should ever take off without a home point set on the map and especially over water with no land between you and the drone in the middle of a NFZ. If you take off near a NFZ there will be warning pop ups to afford the pilot time to stop and fly back before auto landing. This sitaution was really worse case scenario from the outset.
2018-1-28
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

There is only one reason which is NFZ forced to auto landing.

This is pilot's mistake. He should know about his area.
2018-1-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Two major items others have pointed out already.  First GPS coverage was not good enough.  Second, NEVER take off without having the the home point recorded first.  Start the motors, let it idle on the ground until you hear it say Home Point Has Been Recorded (or whatever that last word is-just from memory).  I then take off several feet and watch it hover to check stability and then go fly.
2018-1-28
Use props
fans9e3a82bd
lvl.1
United States

As I mentioned in previous posts I have flown in this area before. I am well aware it is Class D NFZ which you have the option of flying in this area by going to the DJI GEO app putting in the controller serial number and confirming that you have followed the procedure which is notifying the tower which I did and got approval. Nothing like experience for learning
2018-1-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans9e3a82bd Posted at 2018-1-28 12:09
As I mentioned in previous posts I have flown in this area before. I am well aware it is Class D NFZ which you have the option of flying in this area by going to the DJI GEO app putting in the controller serial number and confirming that you have followed the procedure which is notifying the tower which I did and got approval. Nothing like experience for learning

Indeed, just afford time in the future for GPS to connect before take off and the app to recognise that permission with a home point set at your location.
It's so important to do that. In beginner mode you can't even take off until a home point is set on the map - indicating that this is part of the first steps you need to learn for safe flight.
2018-1-28
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

fans9e3a82bd Posted at 2018-1-28 12:09

Did you test the auto take off button in the app. It might have saved your AC as I think it had warned you.
I have also seen this warning when your RTH line is inside NFZ  but both your AC and RC is out of NFZ.
I think this is just good example of how NFZ should work.
2018-1-28
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I know with my P3P & P4P if I am within a "Restricted NFZ" it wont even let me start the AC, right away it prompts me " You are in a restricted NFZ, Flight is not allowed" never tried it with the Mavic, I am assuming it would do the same thing as it uses same Go4 App.

I also remember some many threads back that if you fly into a "Restricted NFZ" the AC will initiate a forced landing. There were many complaints about losing the AC due to this, as you lose control of the AC in what may be a populated area such as highways ect. Have any of the latest updates corrected this problem to where the AC just stops and hovers until you turn it around and fly away from the NFZ?
2018-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules