Choosing H3-3D "Vibration Absorbers"
6795 26 2014-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Anyone know of any instruction explaining the use of the vibration isolators included with H3-3D?

Stands to reason that since the 3D ships with a variety isolators, ranging from very soft to very ridged, there must be some predetermined intended use.

The trial and error process in choosing a set which best combats rolling-shutter (jello) is tedious at best.  I'm hoping someone has already done the "math", and come up with some sort of reference guide.   i.e. The heavier the payload, the firmer the isolator… etc.
2014-10-27
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

White ones worked well for me. No Jello. Perfectly stabilized. Seems they don't work the same for everyone. Maybe that is why the include different ones.

I do have a question about the plastic inserts. Is there any way of reusing them? I could not get mine to come off to save my life, so I just cut them. They do their job! Ain't no way that gimbal is falling off!
2014-10-27
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

No jello at all, that's great!  Wish I could say that.  I've had three Phantom 2's, and 4 3D gimbals, and all of them had at least some jello.  I know some times the cause is actually the gimbal itself (vibrating).  The old 2D was fantastic in this regard.  I do miss that.  

Replacement pins are pretty cheap...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... t_securing_kit.html
2014-10-28
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

away-point Posted at 2014-10-29 05:51
No jello at all, that's great!  Wish I could say that.  I've had three Phantom 2's, and 4 3D gimbals ...

White ones here too, working great for me.
Some change it up a bit but I see most using the white ones (medium stiffness)

Some of the vibration could be coming from those plastic pins. They rattle like crazy and would block my gimbal on swift turns.
Lots of folks using zipties or whatever, I used these. No rattle, no blocking.

2014-10-28
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-29 10:26
White ones here too, working great for me.
Some change it up a bit but I see most using the white  ...

Glad you're having good luck too.  

What are those you're using?  Paperclips?  
2014-10-28
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

away-point Posted at 2014-10-29 12:19
Glad you're having good luck too.  

What are those you're using?  Paperclips?

No, I tried zip ties like some others but didn't like the look so I used something from DJI I thought would never get any use from..prop guard string

Prop guards for my original Phantom came with some thick, high quality(nylon?) string. It's durable - like kite string, looks good and matches the white body well.

Just make sure you've got a little slack. NO vibrations here. If you still got some vibrations, you might need to balance or replace props, but this string works really well for me.
The props, not so much.

2014-10-29
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Good idea.

All my jello worries are over.  The latest DJI update killed my gimbal!   
2014-10-29
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

away-point Posted at 2014-10-30 05:41
Good idea.

All my jello worries are over.  The latest DJI update killed my gimbal!

Ouch, what do you mean broken?Does it come on? Is it doing a constant shake? Might have to reset the gimbal or apply that downgrade trick.a DJI rep posted before.
2014-10-30
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-30 21:03
Ouch, what do you mean broken?Does it come on? Is it doing a constant shake? Might have to reset t ...

Fortunately, I got it working again after the three-handed reset.  
2014-10-30
Use props
Pixarfilm
New

Denmark

away-point Posted at 2014-10-29 05:51
No jello at all, that's great!  Wish I could say that.  I've had three Phantom 2's, and 4 3D gimbals ...

Hi i got 100% the same problem and i got over 6 phantom 2 and 4 gimbal the last half year as i sell it once i se the Jello i sell the phantom 2 , bat this time i fix it i put thick 3 M tape on the phantom 2 before i put the gimbal on the phantom 2, then i take the black / gray is okay to and put on the gimbal, then i slow the speed on the go pro 3+ from 1080P 60 fs to 1080P 25 fs and tilt the go pro 3+ and the settings from w /mode to N/ Mode and this time it work better with no jello. My log 2D gimbal have no problem like the new 3d models. best regards kenneth
2014-10-30
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

You mean 3M sticky tape?  I have tried using longer mounting screws, and sandwiching a piece of soft fuel line between the gimbal and the Phantom.  

Black/Gray... You mean ones that shipped with H3-3D?

Thanks!  

2014-11-3
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

@away point

can i just comment on your avatar for a second...its quite distracting when reading your posts as it leads the eye over to it. sorry to say his but your posts may not get the attention they deserve as a result...dont take this the wrong way pls. !
2014-11-3
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

Eirlink Posted at 2014-11-3 20:17
@away point

can i just comment on your avatar for a second...its quite distracting when reading you ...

Gonna have to agree with Eirlink. That gif man..it's hard not to find distracting

On topic, I had the vibration/jello issues on my Phantom 1 about a year ago. Tried new props, balancing, etc. It could be the props or motors need balancing but those motors are a real pain to take apart.

This should help a lot: Drum Gel

Stick a layer or two between the gimbal/Phantom and it should absorb a good amount of vibration.
It won't fix the vibration from the source, but will dampen them before it hits the camera.

2014-11-3
Use props
michael.haws
lvl.2

United States

Eirlink Posted at 2014-11-3 20:17
@away point

can i just comment on your avatar for a second...its quite distracting when reading you ...

Also gonna have to agree with Eirlink,   very distracting avatar.
2014-11-3
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Man, I hope you guys are not so easily distracted while flying!  

I really like that avatar, and yet I changed it.  Now you guys owe me!  lol  (just kidding!)

Thanks for the suggestion Cloud9.
2014-11-3
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

away-point Posted at 2014-11-4 10:06
Man, I hope you guys are not so easily distracted while flying!  

I really like that avatar, and  ...

Lol I know it was hard for you..but our eyes and attention spans are eternally grateful
2014-11-3
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Have not tried it yet, but here is my latest vibration dampening setup.  Fuel tubing, nylon pull ties, and longer mount screws.  The bracket floats just a tad, so perhaps it will actually help.  Note the slight space between the Phantom body and the gimbal bracket.

2014-11-5
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

away-point Posted at 2014-11-6 09:46
Have not tried it yet, but here is my latest vibration dampening setup.  Fuel tubing, nylon pull tie ...

Looks like you could see an improvement. As long as the vibrations don't cause the gimbal frame to vibrate against the body between the gap.

Interested to see the results..let us know how it goes!
2014-11-5
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Today isn't looking very encouraging to fly, wheather wise, but I will certainly share.  

I was mistaken about battery clearance on one of the pull ties, and switched it to another machine screw, like two shown above.

Another thought is about clearances between the yaw motor and the Phantom shell.  Look at the first pic and note the hole in the shell is not as large as the center hole in the gimbal bracket.  Doesn't take a lot of gimbal movement to bring the gimbal yaw motor into contact with the Phantom shell, which of course would negate all vibration dampening.  Occurs to me to try temporaryally adjusting camera tilt to look up, in order to get some idea of movement.

I sure miss how the H3-2D just worked.  I've had so many frustrations with the 3D!  
2014-11-6
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

away-point Posted at 2014-11-6 20:15
Today isn't looking very encouraging to fly, wheather wise, but I will certainly share.  

I was m ...

away-point, is it just "jello" in your video or can you actually see the Phantom itself shaking?

http://youtu.be/hGtqLUSiQYo?t=37s
2014-11-28
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-11-29 07:09
away-point, is it just "jello" in your video or can you actually see the Phantom itself shaking?

Sorry for the late reply... been swamped last couple of days...

90% of the time, the problem is in the recorded video, with no visible camera shaking as in your link.  Although, I have seen mine do that, but only once in a while, and I have no idea what's different between when it happens and when it doesn't.  At the moment, I have a velcro strap between the bottom of the two landing gear (applies a slight tension) to dampen any shaking motion.  I have not seen that shaking occur since adding the strap, but since it is random, takes time to build a firm conclusion.  

I would say the added isolation (pics at top of thread) have helped reduce jello video.  But the most effective things are either set the camera's exposure compensation down a notch or two, or use a neutral density filter.  Recently purchased an ND filter, and so far, I like it.  The added weight hasn't been a problem, although I did hot glue a nickel on for improved balance.

Jello video is difficult to diagnose, since ambient light and wind levels are major factors, and different every flight.  In my experience, the H3-3D is a significant factor in the equation.  They do vary unit to unit (I've had 4 of them on three different Phantom 2's). On the first 3d I had (which was the most problematic), I've seen video jello occur even without the Phantom armed -- jello purely from the 3D buzzing.  

If it can be established the new props can be used safely, I will try a set in the jello fight.  Seems to me there are resonance frequencies in play here, and the slower spinning new props might just serve to improve camera stability.

Right now, my setup is virtually jello-free.  All it took was the added isolation, camera adjustments or ND filter, and tension between the two landing gear.

Rob
2014-11-29
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

away-point Posted at 2014-11-30 12:04
Sorry for the late reply... been swamped last couple of days...

90% of the time, the problem is i ...

Good to see you're getting results. I asked because mine started to get the shakes like the video posted. Tried various solutions including opening the canopy with no luck.

I eventually replaced the white dampeners with the stiffer grey ones and my vibrations are gone. I'm thinking the white dampeners got loose over time, hence the shaking.
I also followed your idea and added small rubber washers between the gimbal and the body.

Now we can sleep at night!
2014-12-1
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-12-2 00:35
Good to see you're getting results. I asked because mine started to get the shakes like the video  ...

Not sure if I've tried the firmer gray ones, but I have tried the black ones from the H3-2D.

The white ones I'm using are one week older than the announcement of the updated Phantom, so wear isn't a factor here.  (Don't ya just love it when the purchase of a current model becomes the purchase of the previous model, in the scope of one week! :-/ )

It's so difficult to iron out these issues, since there are so many variables.  But yes, good to be sleeping nights!  lol  
2014-12-1
Use props
hungrydude5
lvl.2
United States

Hate to bring this old forum up, but I've been just recently having problems with the motor that is nearest the underbody of the frame ( the motor that pans as you move the rotate axis left or right) was tight against the phantom body.  I took some 3M velcro sticky strips, cut out 2 strips and made the mount "float" so to say off the body.  I don't have any longer screws, so i used the stock screws, had to use a little muscle to get them started.  Do you think they'll back out?  Opinions?  BTW, this floating mount procedure I did cured the motor problem.  It was so hot it burnt my finger!!!!

Ben
2015-8-1
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't look at the video just yet - hover the phantom near you and watch the gimbal and gopro. If its oscillating then consider doing 2 of the following things:
1 - make sure the gain settings are at default.
2 - change to the stiffer dark grey dampeners.
2015-8-2
Use props
Mex
lvl.1

Netherlands

why are you using 4 dampers?? it should be 2 as with every gimbal.
if you still have trouble with the jello effect.try 2 dampers instead of 4 like it was intended to be.
hope this helps your problem
2015-8-4
Use props
hungrydude5
lvl.2
United States

2.....dampers?  You mean 2 of the securing pins?  I use zip ties instead of those pins.  But I have everything worked out, the motor closest to the body was seized up as it was tight against the body.  A little rubber shim helped matters.  Good to go!

Ben
2015-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules