Problems sport: ski or bike descents
2229 11 2018-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lionel Pla Ball
lvl.1
Spain

The two problems that I present do not know if they have a quick solution or it is a software issue. Let's see if DJI could give me an answer. For this the first thing will be to introduce you. I like to ski or do bike descents off track and have the opportunity to watch and make promotional videos of my descents. And in this sense, two problems have arisen that are: 1 - I do not know how to block the "Remote Control". The idea is to put the spark in "tracking mode" with the help of the "remote control" because it gives me the security that mobile wifi does not give me to get away in excess, skiing or downhill bike long distances easily and I am afraid that I will lose the wifi on the phone with what I lose believing that it follows me. That's why I use the remote control. The problem is that by keeping the remote control in your pocket or bag and unintentionally touch the controls and this stops following me or worse still liars and I lose it. Is there a way to block the command ?. 2 - The second point I want to comment on is that when going down and doing a follow-up mode the SPARK stays hooked on the same height line, so it is getting farther, because it stays fixed on the line but I'm descending . I do not know if you understand? Yes, in the flat areas it makes good shots but when descending quickly, even if it follows you, each time it follows you from higher altitude, which is none other than the start, but you know how fast it descends in these sports. Do you know any solution in tracking mode that allows me to follow a constant distance?  Thank you so much
2018-1-28
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Do you have a RC control lock device that fits over the controls and keeps them from moving???  About $7 on Amazon or Ebay...I normally use them when I'm dumping the RC in a backpack, but they could be used for your needs.
2018-1-28
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Spark has a simple optical tracking mode.  You are talking about a difficult shot following a subject.  You could try a bunch of short decents and then edit them together.  

You really need another biker/skier to fly the drone for you.  Should be someone piloting the drone even if tracking subject mode is doing a lot of the work.  Flying an RC model requires more attention and care that a camera on a tripod.  Trying to be the subject and the cameraman is going to be one screw up after another.  
2018-1-28
Use props
Lionel Pla Ball
lvl.1
Spain

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-28 10:54
Spark has a simple optical tracking mode.  You are talking about a difficult shot following a subject.  You could try a bunch of short decents and then edit them together.  

You really need another biker/skier to fly the drone for you.  Should be someone piloting the drone even if tracking subject mode is doing a lot of the work.  Flying an RC model requires more attention and care that a camera on a tripod.  Trying to be the subject and the cameraman is going to be one screw up after another.

Thank you very much for your comment, without envargo the images you take on the plane, say on the flat path are very good, even in the option of tracking profile, so it would be interesting to make some change in the software that allows you to descend parallel and longitudinally to the subject in following mode. It can not be very complicated and programming. And I'm sure that for DJI it has to be a small thing and on the contrary a great advance for the filming "in follow-up"
2018-1-28
Use props
Lionel Pla Ball
lvl.1
Spain

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-1-28 10:05
Do you have a RC control lock device that fits over the controls and keeps them from moving???  About $7 on Amazon or Ebay...I normally use them when I'm dumping the RC in a backpack, but they could be used for your needs.

Yes, I know that device ... but it seems unsafe. I am sure that one of the two free buttons could be programmed to lock and unlock the "remote control". All the phones, radio and audio equipment, broadcasters, usually have this option in the devices. I think it's a very interesting breakthrough that can prevent many incidents.
Thank you very much
2018-1-28
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Another thing to consider with Spark, is it has a very rudimentary obstical avoidance system, when it encounters an obstical it just stops and hovers in place, if you are descending thru forested areas, Spark will have problems.
Mavic Air seems to have a more active system and might be a better choice for your needs. Only time will tell.
2018-1-28
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

I have the same question... I hope there is a better answer out there. Let me know if you learned anything from more experience trying to get the drone to descend.
2018-2-13
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Try to fly your spark lower we you start. Say 2 to 3 meter above ground (within the downward sensor range), it will track you down. I have tried it in running downhill. I suppose it will work for bike too. For skiing, I will try it tomorrow in Les Arcs. But, beware of hitting something or someone when flying that low.
2018-2-13
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

When in active tracking modes the drone will not receive inputs from the control sticks, so you don't need to worry about that (I have the opposite problem, i want it to active track but also allow me to guide the drone as well). I've seen several Youtube videos where cyclists attach the remote to the handle bars of their bikes, so you could also try that.

I'm not sure about the height/decent problem though, have you actually tried it? I know it doesn't gain altitude when flying into a slope but i'm not sure if it doesn't descend when flying away from one?

Also, remember to activate the Dynamic Home Point or it won't fly more than 100m from its take off point.
2018-2-14
Use props
fanscb1f02eb
lvl.4

South Africa

My experience is that it keeps the altitude at which it starts. I strap the RC to my MTB handle bars. I sometimes have connection issues when it is higher and behind me (standard following position).
2018-2-14
Use props
Firehawk989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

Edd_88 Posted at 2018-2-13 21:34
Try to fly your spark lower we you start. Say 2 to 3 meter above ground (within the downward sensor range), it will track you down. I have tried it in running downhill. I suppose it will work for bike too. For skiing, I will try it tomorrow in Les Arcs. But, beware of hitting something or someone when flying that low.

This is a great idea, I'll have to give it a try next time I have a chance to film in an open area.
2018-2-14
Use props
MEMYSELFANDI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 444921 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hello everyone, I had the same problem this WE, I was skiing in Italy with my Spark and I try to put the Spark in profile mode, it did a nice job but it always stay at the same altitude and after few meters I had to stop because while I was descending on the snow I become too small on the screen
2018-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules