CrystalSky 2000 nits, 5 hours use overheats burn smell
3612 24 2018-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans98d63e0a
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I know these units get hot...looks like the heat is getting to the components and causing failure.  What is the latest on servicing time direct from DJI, as the Dealers don't have authority to send a replacment.
2018-1-28
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Did the backlight burn out ?

2018-1-28
Use props
fans98d63e0a
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-1-28 20:57
Did the backlight burn out ?

Likely, Now it won't come on... Went from normal Ultra Bright...to hardly being able to be seen.... to nothing..
2018-1-29
Use props
fans98d63e0a
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans98d63e0a Posted at 2018-1-29 04:37
Likely, Now it won't come on... Went from normal Ultra Bright...to hardly being able to be seen.... to nothing..

It will make Button sounds...but no picture.  Going to check if HDMI Out works.
2018-1-29
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans98d63e0a Posted at 2018-1-29 10:29

If your installed Crystalsky battery has a remaining charge and the screen won't come on at all or you can just barely see an image (possibly with a bright light shining on the powered-on screen), then the backlight has gone out.
2018-1-29
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fans98d63e0a Posted at 2018-1-29 10:29

I think it's over bar the shouting, the backlight is gone, circuit burn't out by overheating
2018-1-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sir, we are sorry for the late response, may I know if you have contacted our support to send in the device for evaluation? If yes, may I have the case number please?
2018-2-3
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-2-3 01:15
Sir, we are sorry for the late response, may I know if you have contacted our support to send in the device for evaluation? If yes, may I have the case number please?

DJI Mindy: I was just going to purchase the 7.85 Ultra Bright in a few weeks.

In your HONEST opinion, are all of these issues reported in the forum going to be resolved with a future firmware update. Or, could the problems go even deeper with faulty hardware too?

This will certainly influence my purchase of a very expensive product.
2018-2-7
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Rickyber Posted at 2018-2-7 17:48

In your HONEST opinion, are all of these issues reported in the forum going to be resolved with a future firmware update. Or, could the problems go even deeper with faulty hardware too?

Hold off on buying , the android version of DJI 4.2.6 and the CS is still on 4.1.18 about 5 versions in arrears. There has not been a firmware upgrade for 9 weeks

Also there is no support for the MA on the CS at the moment, so you can't use the MA with the CS.
I'd actually be recommending the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses as a superior option to the CS.

Many people have been converted to the new technology

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... so-far.33410/page-4
2018-2-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Rickyber Posted at 2018-2-7 17:48

Rickyber, we have located the problem and will get it fixed in the next firmware.
Currently, when you encounter the overheat issue during flight, we recommend to land or return the drone, long pressing the power switch and then select reboot the device, the overheated error should disappear.
We apologize for the trouble caused, appreciate your patience for the next firmware.
2018-2-8
Use props
ehcropydoc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27523688 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the exact same problem. Brand new CS Ultra (less than 1 hour on) - second flight today we experienced a flicker and then boom, completely dark screen. All buttons work and audio feedback works. I can even still see the screen when I shine a light at it. But this thing is dead. I've contacted my dealer, waiting on a reply now.

As far as the burning smell, I experienced this prior to the first flight. Meaning, I thought I smelled something funny but it seems to have worked for 30 minutes after the smell happened before the backlight went out. Not sure if this is unrelated or not but my instinct says its not a coincidence.
2018-2-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-2-8 07:30
Rickyber, we have located the problem and will get it fixed in the next firmware.
Currently, when you encounter the overheat issue during flight, we recommend to land or return the drone, long pressing the power switch and then select reboot the device, the overheated error should disappear.
We apologize for the trouble caused, appreciate your patience for the next firmware.

Hi Mindy, I own a CS Ultra, can you please ask the engineers is the overheat message a "real" error message, that is the unit is actually overheating  and not a bug error message.

If it is a real error message, I would not like to keep resetting the CS to remove the message when in fact the something on the circuit board is about to burn out.

Could we also please get from the engineers what the maximum temperature the CS can operate in ? , that is the CS internal temperature, is it something like 60 centigrade ?

Thanks for your help
2018-2-8
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-2-8 07:30

DJI Mindy: Wow!!!!
This seems like a major issue with the Crystal Sky beyond a firmware upgrade and is surely steering me away from purchasing one. I can't see myself purchasing one and then having it burn up, then sending it back for service at DJI which may be a lengthy process since it looks like you will be getting a lot of them back for service.
Can you please keep all of us updated as to the progress of the engineers working on this matter and if the firmware upgrade will indeed correct the problem.
I already own a Mavic Pro, Spark, and just got a pair of the DJI goggles this week, which I need to become proficient at. So, I was thinking of the Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian next and possibly the Crystal Sky.
Using my total common sense, the monitor purchase will be affected (when my tax refund arrives) as to how these problems are handled.
2018-2-8
Use props
ehcropydoc
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Ok so I managed to hold the power button down long enough to "reboot" the device. After restarting, theres a clear issue with the backlight. One half of the monitor is dim and the other is slightly brighter. Issue is, I have ZERO control when sliding the brightness slider.

This thing is defective and/or broken.
2018-2-9
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I've tested the Crystalsky Ultra with DJI Go 4.2.4 for 1.5 hours continously on full brightness and with the latest firmware for the AC, 3 full flights with the MPP and MA, ambient temp 23c and there wasn't a single glitch in the monitor, this was 4k 24fps, with caching back to the CS at 7gb

The hottest the Ultra panel got on max brightness was 41.5c , the side ports got to 38.6c and the back panel near the ports to 40c.

The CS fan never came on at all during the 1.5hrs and the temp was pretty consistent from about 15min from start up to the end. I'm not sure what the normal operating temperatures are for the CS Ultra, so the fan not comming on might be an issue, funny thing to note was the RC fan was humming away after 30mins and that has never come on before in longer flight sessions

DJI Go 4 4.2.4 worked flawlessly, there was no latency or pixelation at anytime in RC signal out or HD signal back, mind you I was using a Titan Cyclone 2.4ghz amplified panel.

I think they may have fixed the overheating problem for now, my CS build date it the 15/10/17 for reference, a couple of us who have this build date have CS Ultra's that get hot but have never failed.
Interesting to see how the other CS Ultra owners are fairing with the need firmware and 4.2.4
2018-2-9
Use props
ehcropydoc
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Mindy, I've been instructed to complete a repair form online. However, I want a replacement instead (as the product failed within 15 days). However, when I try to select replacement, DJI said I need to contact support which I have and they send me to the same link.

How can I request a replacement monitor asap? Thanks
2018-2-12
Use props
fans98d63e0a
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ehcropydoc Posted at 2018-2-12 11:08
Mindy, I've been instructed to complete a repair form online. However, I want a replacement instead (as the product failed within 15 days). However, when I try to select replacement, DJI said I need to contact support which I have and they send me to the same link.

How can I request a replacement monitor asap? Thanks

I had the same problem...failed in 3 days...
2018-2-12
Use props
ehcropydoc
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

My dealer asked me to send it back to them and I have. We will see how this all plays out. I have another unit with the same exact firmware so I am nervous to test it out.
2018-2-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I don't have a Crystalsky, so I can not test this idea...

Mount Crystalsky on an aluminum plate with a cut-out for battery.
Use thermal pad or tape between Crystalsky and aluminum plate to aid in heat transfer.  Allowing Crystalsky to be removed without a mess of thermal paste.

Around battery cut-out of plate, mount bars of aluminum cooling fins.  Use regular thermal paste between aluminum plate and aluminum cooling fins.
2018-2-13
Use props
sitka_rn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3107 ft
United States

fans98d63e0a Posted at 2018-2-12 13:17
I had the same problem...failed in 3 days...

I have the same issue and even if replaced with a new unit... the warranty does not "reset". So DJI will not stand by a replacement new product for 12 months ...  Your original date of purchase remain in effect.  I have read on the forums of multiple returns... each time the warranty clock is running out.  I have given up on purchasing any further CS units  for the near future. Amazon reviews not inspiring. My Samsung Galaxy S8+ has great nits... but would prefer my CS Ultra to just work
2018-2-27
Use props
fans6342994e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10669 ft
United States

I just bought my cs ultra hoping that it wound be better than ipad mini 4 but after 2nd flught it start to flicker, i hope i read this forum before I purchased one so expensive.
2019-3-17
Use props
mAIRs
Second Officer
Australia

To me it seems like majority of the CS hardware issues are with the Ultra bright version... and mainly it's with the LCD back light... so I'm thinking that all of you CS UB users paid a few hundred $ extra for a standard CS HB with either a overdriven back light or just a brighter $4 back light which generates more heat that the units are not designed to handle.
2019-3-17
Use props
mAIRs
Second Officer
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-2-13 11:51

That's a monstrosity mod that no one who paid a premium for a professional piece of gear should resort to...
2019-3-17
Use props
mAIRs
Second Officer
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-2-13 11:51

2019-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

mAIRs Posted at 3-17 18:23
That's a monstrosity mod that no one who paid a premium for a professional piece of gear should resort to...

I agree.  Unfortunately when you get stuck with a problematic device, and manufacture is not addressing problems, you are left with do nothing and getting nowhere or trying a few things in hops of making progress.
2019-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules