Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Winter Flying | Any Tips for The Cold Weather?
1213 11 2018-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pasta10
lvl.2
Flight distance : 216358 ft
United States

Hello All,
I am new to flying drones in the winter time. Is there anything precautionary steps I should follow - before I fly my drone in the winter time?

Thanks!
2018-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Keep your flight packs warm. Same for your device.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ensure batteries are fully charged: Some drone batteries include technology that automatically discharges battery power after a certain period of inactivity. This maintenance feature helps extend the battery life, but if you haven’t flown for a few weeks it can be easy to forget that your batteries may no longer be at the levels you expect. Before you head out the door, take a minute to verify that your batteries are fully charged.

Minimize heavy control inputs: Flying at high speeds or at full throttle requires a heavy current from the battery and can cause a sudden voltage drop. Avoiding full throttle, especially during the first few minutes of your flight, and minimizing heavy control inputs will help extend the flight time.

Avoid draining the battery: Under normal weather conditions, maxing out the flight time and flying to a low battery level is common. But when you’re flying in cold weather, completely draining the battery can be risky. Fly until the battery drops to 30-40 percent capacity, and then bring the drone back down. Pack a few spare batteries if you know you’ll need a lot of time in the air.
Bring a portable charger for your mobile device: Many popular drones stream live video to a mobile device on the controller. Remember that the battery in this device will also be impacted by cold weather. You may want to purchase a small portable charger to power up your mobile device if needed.

Steer clear of precipitation

Most drones aren’t waterproof and precipitation of any kind can damage the camera and gimbal, short out a motor, or cause other malfunctions to the drone or controller. If your drone does get caught in the rain or snow, land it as soon as possible. Make sure to dry off the props and body of the drone. In particularly cold weather.
2018-1-29
Use props
pasta10
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-29 06:52
Ensure batteries are fully charged: Some drone batteries include technology that automatically discharges battery power after a certain period of inactivity. This maintenance feature helps extend the battery life, but if you haven’t flown for a few weeks it can be easy to forget that your batteries may no longer be at the levels you expect. Before you head out the door, take a minute to verify that your batteries are fully charged.

Thank you for sharing that post! I greatly appreciate it!
2018-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

pasta10 Posted at 2018-1-29 14:09
Thank you for sharing that post! I greatly appreciate it!

Your welcome
2018-1-29
Use props
Steve Og
lvl.3
Flight distance : 938258 ft
United States

In the past week I've flown several hours at -17F. My biggest ah-ha moment has been to use a stylus on the touchscreen so that I can keep my right hand properly covered. The P4P+ has been fine but not my fingers
2018-1-29
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

All good advice & the only thing I'd add is get some good gloves or you could move south for the winter.
2018-1-29
Use props
Input username
New
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-29 06:52

Just flew today in minus 10 C and 30 km wind. Cold batteries. Got 4 minutes in sport mode. Almost lost young sparky. 2nd flight ever. Will try tomorrow with warm batteries.
New playa from the himalaya.
2018-1-30
Use props
pasta10
lvl.2
United States

Steve Og Posted at 2018-1-29 15:17
In the past week I've flown several hours at -17F. My biggest ah-ha moment has been to use a stylus on the touchscreen so that I can keep my right hand properly covered. The P4P+ has been fine but not my fingers

Wow -17F... thats cold. Great idea about the stylus. Never thought about using that. Thanks for sharing!
2018-1-30
Use props
pasta10
lvl.2
United States

Input username Posted at 2018-1-30 19:27
Just flew today in minus 10 C and 30 km wind. Cold batteries. Got 4 minutes in sport mode. Almost lost young sparky. 2nd flight ever. Will try tomorrow with warm batteries.
New playa from the himalaya.

That would be a shame to lose "young sparky." Hopefully the wind calms down and temps warm up a bit.
2018-1-30
Use props
pasta10
lvl.2
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2018-1-29 22:46
All good advice & the only thing I'd add is get some good gloves or you could move south for the winter.

Man... if only I could move down south - that would be great! I wouldn't even have to think about the winter! But, I have to say - the winter time is really amazing time to fly a drone. The footage is just beautiful. So I think it is worth living in the North lol.
2018-1-30
Use props
eliasson69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126824 ft
Latvia

Drone sweaters
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules