No RTH with OTG (incident or new OTG issue)
910 3 2018-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DTL555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177313 ft
  • >>>
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Today I tried OTG connection with RC by myself.

I’m in Europe and my setup is iPhone 8+, iOS 11.2.5, latest DJI Go 4 version. Everything was perfect. Weather ideal, sunny, no wind, even I was at the mountain cca 1670m above sea level. I fly around, telemetry was perfect, everything was really nice, battery around 70%.

BUT at the distance around 360 m and altitude of 70 m, over some mountain peak, I’v got message “Aircraft disconnected”. I lost video link and communication with the DJI Go app (radar map was completely unusable, and red triangle stayed in one place), and there was not initiation of RTH.

I freaked out for a second, than I try my best to drive it to me. RC was responsive, so I did it (but you can’t see it at that distance, let’s be honest). VERY important remark, if you can’t see it, you can hear it! It’s an mountain, practically clear silence, and that was my only orientation.

Than (how foolish you should be), I send Spark in the same direction and in the same altitude, but this time without OTG, pure Wi-Fi. Approximately at the same spot I lost connection again with the same message.

BUT..... this time RTH function was initiated immediately as it should be, after few seconds video link was established again, and app started to work normally.
Sparky happily flayed back home, without problem.

I continued with my walk around, and from different position, after half hour, I discovered GSM tower on another mountain peak, not very far from peak where I flayed. From my initial position I couldn’t see it at all. After an OTG cable incident, I spent 4 complete batteries flying around with WI-Fi, without problems. I presented this incident, with only one purpose: how we can be sure that OTG is so much better, OK video link, telemetry, and all that factors, and of course problem with European legislation about 5G networks and DJI marketing strategy.

But, after today’s incident, I don’t want to use OTG until somebody test it more.

This could be another/new issue with na OTG.

2018-1-28
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
India

Good feedback.
Would like to add in here that when you fly for a long distance and have connectivity issues or image transmission issues, please try to fly backwards instead of doing a 360 degree turn . Why because the SPARK has got its Wifi module somewhere at the back of the housing and therefore while you do a 360 degree turn for RTH, sometimes you get the warning that image transmission is weak. But when you fly backwards during RTH instead of a 360 degree turn , you don't get this warning message.  i have tried and tested this at 1.4 kilometer distance.
2018-1-28
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you pushed the RTH Button on RC?
2018-1-28
Use props
DTL555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177313 ft
  • >>>
Bosnia and Herzegovina

No, in first few seconds of panic, I totally forgot that button. Good point. Next time flying, I will try OTG again and try with RTH RC button.

Thanks
2018-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules