2460 14 2018-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MaxP4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I'm planning a small tour in London and take my Spark with me. What laws and limitations are there in the UK? Can I fly over the city of London? In the parks? Do I need permissions?
In Italy I am an authorized drone pilot and I have valid insurance throughout Europe.
2018-1-29
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Hardly anywhere, and emphatically not over the city of London or any other.
2018-1-29
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not in the city. You have to be 150meters from a congested (built up) area. 50meters away from anything not under your control (buildings, vehicles, people etc). 150meters away from groups of 1000 or more people. miles away from airports. Most of London is covered with warning and authorised zones. There are probably a few parks you could fly in that are outside of the CAA restrictions but then it depends if those parks allow model aircraft flying. I have heard that some don't. I don't know how your Italian drone authorization would translate in the UK, you might have to apply to the CAA for an exemption.
2018-1-29
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

There is a small flying area in Richmond park and thats about it
2018-1-29
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Some ealing parks are supportive too.
2018-1-29
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

This is how Drone Assist interprets London Airspace. As previously mentioned there maybe some very small areas reserved for recreational use. There is a NOTAM issued today for commercial SUAS use within the city but this will have been provided on a very strict and time limited basis.

5496461D-8762-4268-88B2-75F2217550A4.png
2018-1-29
Use props
darkuser999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51890 ft
United Kingdom

In the city is a no no....but if you have a car and can really access the suburbs....there are definitely places to fly!
2018-1-29
Use props
bazinga
lvl.2
United Kingdom

some areas of Acton park seem to be ok too.
2018-1-29
Use props
MaxP4
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

...and if I try to fly without anyone seeing me?   What problems can I have?
2018-1-29
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MaxP4 Posted at 2018-1-29 06:26
...and if I try to fly without anyone seeing me?   What problems can I have?

Depending on what you do and where you fly. Apart from breaking the law, probably not a lot.
You have a license to fly in your country so I would assume you understand the dangers of flying recklessly.
If you are seen by the police you may be questioned or worse. If you are flying around people or buildings they may be annoyed and report you to the police.
If you are flying around people there is the risk of an accident occurring and if that happens then it will all hit the fan for you and the rest of us in the UK who fly our drones safely.
If you use a great deal of common sense and be very careful you might get away with things but I'm not advocating you fly around London.
2018-1-29
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

There's really only one thing wrong with common sense. It isn't!
2018-1-29
Use props
MaxP4
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Thanks for the answers!
2018-1-29
Use props
WilfredFireSteel 8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182215 ft
United Kingdom

The London police are VERY drone savvy!!!
2018-1-29
Use props
Ram-UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

Download the NATS app on your phone and check the area on the app before you fly. Don’t fly in any restricted airspace. I don’t think using your drone in city of London is a good idea. You could end up in n trouble with police.
2018-1-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. More info, please check in our website and ask the local authority for check: https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=footer. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules