Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Have you ever been asked to prove you are registered with the FAA??
1617 15 2018-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansde510068
lvl.2
United States

I got my little Sparky just after Christmas and after some research decided to register myself with the FAA as a recreational operator and mark my craft with my registration number. I know there has been a flip flop on whether you have to register or not but I thought for $5 every three years I might as well just register.

Wanted to ask everyone if you register yourself and mark your craft with your registration number and has anyone ever had a run in where they had to prove they were registered or prove your craft was marked with your registration number?

Interested to hear your stories! Thanks!

2018-1-29
Use props
AdamTheGreat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56991 ft
United States

I have registered my Spark. For five bucks, it was worth it. The more people who follow the rules, the better it is for everyone. I’ve never been asked to prove my registration, but I have a nosy neighbor who wouldn’t surprise me if he checked to see if I registered somehow.
2018-1-30
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

...register or no register not worth it. What am I going to be using my drone for? Taking pics that’s right and when is that license going to be handy? Never
2018-1-30
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

SOUNDWAVE439 Posted at 2018-1-30 05:21
...register or no register not worth it. What am I going to be using my drone for? Taking pics that’s right and when is that license going to be handy? Never

$5 for 3 years not worth it?  Last time I looked the fine for failing to register is up to $27,500, and possible criminal fine could reach $250,000 and up to 3 years prison. $5 bucks for 3 years seems like a great value to me.
2018-1-30
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Registered but never asked.  Better safe than sorry.  The fines are to hefty.  
2018-1-30
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-30 07:36
$5 for 3 years not worth it?  Last time I looked the fine for failing to register is up to $27,500, and possible criminal fine could reach $250,000 and up to 3 years prison. $5 bucks for 3 years seems like a great value to me.

what exactly are you(pilot) going to do that causes the gov't to make you pay? accidentally crashing it on top of ppl?
2018-1-31
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

SOUNDWAVE439 Posted at 2018-1-31 11:01
what exactly are you(pilot) going to do that causes the gov't to make you pay? accidentally crashing it on top of ppl?

I have no idea, what would cause criminal penalties, but they still have failure to register penalties.

By the way I didn’t mean to hit no on your friend request, my iPad is smaller than my fat fingers.
2018-1-31
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

SOUNDWAVE439 Posted at 2018-1-31 11:01
what exactly are you(pilot) going to do that causes the gov't to make you pay? accidentally crashing it on top of ppl?

I have no idea, what would cause criminal penalties, but they still have failure to register penalties.

By the way I didn’t mean to hit no on your friend request, my iPad is smaller than my fat fingers.
2018-1-31
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Another post said DJI said that spark would be classed as sub 250 grams. Battery not to count. Any one know if that's true?
2018-1-31
Use props
Far_North
lvl.4
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Bright Spark Posted at 2018-1-31 11:17
Another post said DJI said that spark would be classed as sub 250 grams. Battery not to count. Any one know if that's true?

I doubt that is true.  Plus DJI has no say in how their drones are classed by the government.  
2018-1-31
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

See: https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/us?from=dji-store
z22b.jpg
2018-1-31
Use props
tvon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

I've found that people adverse to registering their drone are also apt to fly irresponsibly.  
2018-1-31
Use props
fansde510068
lvl.2
United States

There is a whole other thread on the forum about the weight of the spark. Does the battery count, does it not. I believe the FAA said essential flying equipment so battery would be included but something like propeller guards would not.
2018-1-31
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Link to the FAA section regarding registration

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/tex ... 4.1.48&rgn=div5

Hope it helps.
2018-1-31
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have never been asked for proof, but I carry the card in my wallet.
When one follows the rules, there is no need to look over one's shoulder!
2018-1-31
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Dear TVON,to set the record straight I am in no way averse to registering my spark .
And no one could be more concerned to fly within the rules which are so stifling here in the uk that hardly any flying is possible.
If a sub 250 gram drone is deemed by the authorities a toy or whatever, I infer
that  no one can object much to its reasonable operation.  
2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules