Do I need to calibrate the IMU and Vision systems?
1758 5 2018-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirSnaps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5423 ft
United Kingdom

My Mavic Air is due to arrive some time today and I was wondering if these systems need to be calibrated straight away or is this something that needs doing if you have issues?
2018-1-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

According to the DJI tutorial videos both come calibrated at delivery: https://forum.dji.com/thread-130974-1-1.html
2018-1-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would recommend calibrating the IMU on a flat surface after updating the firmware and NFZ database but the vision sensors will only need to be calibrated when the app tells you. I would also calibrate the compass when you arrive at your first flight location - ensuring that there is no interference in the area. The manual has been recently updated to do this with the compass and no longer wait only when the app advises.
2018-1-30
Use props
AirSnaps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5423 ft
United Kingdom

ok, great. I take it the compass is done in the same way as my P3a was done?

After IMU calibration on my P3a it used to take ages to start up saying it was "warming up" is this still a thing with newer DJI drones or have they resolved this?
2018-1-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, if there is no relative error message in the app, you can choose to calibrate or not.  But for my personal preference, I would like to calibrate them first, for the tutorials, you can refer to Wachtberger's link above. And compass is calibrated just like Phantom 3A does. Hope you enjoy your flight!
2018-1-31
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AirSnaps Posted at 2018-1-30 04:28
ok, great. I take it the compass is done in the same way as my P3a was done?

After IMU calibration on my P3a it used to take ages to start up saying it was "warming up" is this still a thing with newer DJI drones or have they resolved this?

Don’t calibrate IMU or Vision sensors, unless it asks you to. There’s no point unless there are specific issues. My compass sensor values were quiet high and I got a compass error after upgrading, so a quick compass calibration sorted that out.

The IMU in the Mavic range don’t seem to need the temperature to be stable after start up, so chilling the drone is not required.
Compass calibration is the same as others, anti-clockwise in the flying plain, anti-clockwise nose down plain.
2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules