DJI Assistant 2 - Problems Running as Administrator
11929 19 2018-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd28c655f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 899659 ft
United States

DJI Assistant 2 is not running correctly on my machine.

First, I am part of a corporate network that is managed by our IT department. They installed the package (1.2.0 from Mavic page) and successfully ran the program once while they were still in control of the machine. They were on my user account but installing with their administrator password.

After the program was closed, it continued to ask for administrator credentials upon start. The IT guys then set the program to "Always run as administrator" and gave me administrator read/write access to the home directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\DJI Assistant 2). Still, the program wants administrator credentials when opening.

Are there other directories that the software is attempting to access that may need administrator read/write access?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you have to offer.
2018-1-30
Use props
swrutherford
lvl.1
Flight distance : 899659 ft
United States

Running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
2018-1-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, may I know what's the version of the DJI Assistant 2? Please try to reinstall the Assistant to see whether the issue remains.
2018-2-4
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Assistant 2 v1.20 works well on windows 10 64 bit
2018-2-5
Use props
bendevriese
lvl.1

Belgium

We're having the same issue with the current DJI Assistant 2 version 2.02. I wonder why this application needs elevated permissions to launch.
2018-6-6
Use props
bendevriese
lvl.1

Belgium

Jos A Posted at 2018-2-5 00:49
Assistant 2 v1.20 works well on windows 10 64 bit

Indeed, the software works on Windows 10 x64, but only if your user account has local administrator permissions.
In enterprise environments users usually don't have these local admin permissions on theire PC's. This makes the DJI Assistant 2 software useless in an enterprise environment.
2018-6-6
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

The IT guys then set the program to "Always run as administrator"
If your IT guy set that, it will ALWAYS ask for an admin password to launch.   The only way that is going to start is if you have your admin remove that setting.
Then you'll need to have your user account set as a local admin on that machine.  Once you do that, I would then install the latest version of the assistant using your account, without launching as ADMIN.

If that is not possible, then you'll probably want to use a different machine to host the Assistant program.
2018-6-6
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

bendevriese Posted at 2018-6-6 05:59
We're having the same issue with the current DJI Assistant 2 version 2.02. I wonder why this application needs elevated permissions to launch.

Well for one you are installing unsigned device drivers which are required for this to work.  This is primarily the reason and you absolutely need to install with elevated privileges.  
2018-6-6
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Please don't take this question wrong.  I'm actually asking for information, as i am curious.  

What enterprise are you working for that requires you to run the DJI assistant?
2018-6-6
Use props
bendevriese
lvl.1

Belgium

3-D Posted at 2018-6-6 07:33
The IT guys then set the program to "Always run as administrator"
If your IT guy set that, it will ALWAYS ask for an admin password to launch.   The only way that is going to start is if you have your admin remove that setting.
Then you'll need to have your user account set as a local admin on that machine.  Once you do that, I would then install the latest version of the assistant using your account, without launching as ADMIN.

Thanks for the answers.

Set "always run as admin" asks admin password, but our users don't have these permissions. Usually users don't have an account with admin permissions in enterprise environments.

"Run as administrator" require that the user has an account with these privileges.

I removed the requirement to run "DJI Assistant 2.exe" as admin (by changing the exe-file and replace the requestedExecutionLevel from requireAdministrator to asInvoker). But without admin permissions the DJI Assistant 2 software doesn't even launch.

Only solution we have is a different machine, like you said.
2018-6-6
Use props
bendevriese
lvl.1

Belgium

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-6 07:40
Well for one you are installing unsigned device drivers which are required for this to work.  This is primarily the reason and you absolutely need to install with elevated privileges.

We are installing with elevated (admin) permissions. Installing the software isn't an issue.
After the software is installed by an administrator, the user logs in. But users cannot use the software because they don't have elevated (admin) permissions. These permissions seems to be a requirement for this software to run.

I've contacted DJI support.
2018-6-6
Use props
bendevriese
lvl.1

Belgium

3-D Posted at 2018-6-6 08:03
Please don't take this question wrong.  I'm actually asking for information, as i am curious.  

What enterprise are you working for that requires you to run the DJI assistant?

I work for an electricity transmission company. We like to use DJI Matrice drones to inspect the high voltage power lines.
Users need the DJI Assistant 2 (For Matrice) software to update the firmware for the drone body, controllers, battery ..  Firmware updates can be done by IT when it doesn't work out with the admin permissions. But it seems the software is also needed for reading out logs and settings. That is what users told me. I'm a sysadmin (IT).
2018-6-6
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bendevriese Posted at 2018-6-6 23:41
I work for an electricity transmission company. We like to use DJI Matrice drones to inspect the high voltage power lines.
Users need the DJI Assistant 2 (For Matrice) software to update the firmware for the drone body, controllers, battery ..  Firmware updates can be done by IT when it doesn't work out with the admin permissions. But it seems the software is also needed for reading out logs and settings. That is what users told me. I'm a sysadmin (IT).

Very interesting.  Also good to know you're the sysadmin.  The application doesn't launch when not run as administrator because it was installed as administrator.  Is it possible to grant the users the Power User permission on the  local PC, and then allow them to install the application and not 'instal as admin'

If this is a test you can perform, that may help you.  If you cannot, I'll see if I can run it in one of our labs to test.  On my local PC, however, I did not install as administrator, but i do have local admin rights. And my tests will not be equivalent to your environment, because i don't know what policies you have running.

Another option that you have is to create an account that has elevated permissions to the local PC but not to the domain.  Give the user that account to launch the Assistant with,   With no permission to any domain resources, the users will still be forced to manage all of their normal tasks with their user account and only launch the assistant with the elevated account.
2018-6-7
Use props
bendevriese
lvl.1

Belgium

3-D Posted at 2018-6-7 02:55
Very interesting.  Also good to know you're the sysadmin.  The application doesn't launch when not run as administrator because it was installed as administrator.  Is it possible to grant the users the Power User permission on the  local PC, and then allow them to install the application and not 'instal as admin'

If this is a test you can perform, that may help you.  If you cannot, I'll see if I can run it in one of our labs to test.  On my local PC, however, I did not install as administrator, but i do have local admin rights. And my tests will not be equivalent to your environment, because i don't know what policies you have running.

Sorry for my late reply.

Thanks for the suggestion but I do not think you proposition makes sense.
Installing software in user-locations like the Desktop or AppData is possible without admin permissions. However, most of the applications do install in locations like C:\ProgramFiles and need write permissions in the HKLM (registry), all that require elevated permissions.

I do not think the Power Users membership will help us dealing with this issue, Power Users is only remaining in Windows for backwards compatibility. It was taken out, but brought back for AppCompat. It is a legacy feature in Windows.
I’m reaching out to DJI support.
2018-6-19
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bendevriese Posted at 2018-6-19 00:59
Sorry for my late reply.

Thanks for the suggestion but I do not think you proposition makes sense.

my apologies.  I rarely used power users when was a viable option, so I completely blanked on the fact that it was now useless.

I hope you get it worked out. I'll run some tests in our lab today to see what can be done.
Let us know if DJI supports gets you a solution
2018-6-19
Use props
rain81
New

Estonia

Hello!

Is there any fix for this problem? I have exactly the same problem - domain network, user don't have admin rights and software will not work when you don't have administrator rights.
2019-2-14
Use props
rain81
New

Estonia

3-D Posted at 2018-6-19 02:52
my apologies.  I rarely used power users when was a viable option, so I completely blanked on the fact that it was now useless.

I hope you get it worked out. I'll run some tests in our lab today to see what can be done.

Hello!

Is there any fix for this problem? I have exactly the same problem - domain network, user don't have admin rights and software will not work when you don't have administrator rights.
2019-2-14
Use props
djiuser_c9d6ZmkMvtVO
New

United States

rain81 Posted at 2019-2-14 22:31
Hello!

I'm with you. We're on a very similar setup.  Anyone that keeps admin rights open for the users is just asking for trouble.  Folder permissions is set to full control, just cannot find the Registry entry.  Nothing comes up at all.  Very frustrating.
2020-4-28
Use props
fans428ec9c0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14941 ft
United States

There is a way to make a script to add the admin credentials to the launch process of the program. My IT department just set it up on my computer. While I am not IT, I will try and give a rundown of what they did and how it works.

1. Rightclick the shortcut on the desktop to the DJI Assistant. (It may also work to rightclick the .exe file at the install location. I am not positive on that, I just know how they set it up on my machine.)
2. Click "Properties.
3. Click the Shortcut tab.
4. In the "Target:" line, add the following (without the quotes) BEFORE the double quotes that show "C:\Program Files...\DJI Assistant": "C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /profile /env /savecred /user:XXXX\administrator" (Note, you need to change the XXXX after user to the domain to match your local network setup.)
5. Doubleclick the shortcut to run the program. (The shortcut icon will have changed, just fyi.)
6. A command window will pop up and prompt for the admin password. Enter the admin password.
7. The program should run as normal.

Now everytime the shortcut is used to launch the program, it will first run the script and enter the stored admin password so the program will run. I apoligize that I do not know the exact details of how the script works and it is possible that the script is entirely made by my IT department, but hopefully this will give enough information to help others figure out how to solve the problem on their own networks by using a script.

2020-7-16
Use props
djiuser_bUgkZcAdwBWY
New

Romania

Hello!

Is there any fix for this problem? Having the program open by using  savecred is not an option for me.
The computer is a corporate device, where admin pass is managed by LAPS.
Any registry or any folder where user needs to be given access to?
2021-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules