Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air and Waypoints?
12Next >
26968 58 2018-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
elgustinjo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9068 ft
Sweden

Hi, This is a confirmation request to anyone that has got their Mavic Air delivered!

I'm trying to find information if the Air has support for Waypoints or not. Can you anyone confirm that the air has support of waypoints?
It is stated on the comparison page under "intelligent Flight modes": https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav

There you can see that  Waypoints is listed but not POI for the Mavic air. I'm confused.

2018-1-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, Mavic Air doesn't support Waypoint Mission. You can refer to the screenshot below to know the intelligent flight modes that Mavic Air has. And I will forward to the relative team to check the comparison web, thank you for your report. Air intefm.jpeg
2018-1-31
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

I ordered mine yesterday taking into account that this mode is advertised on DJI website, so I hope they will enable it very soon...

It's already implemented into Spark and "hidden" from users in the app which is quite a shame in my opinion.

Now if it's advertised and not there this is a different question.
2018-1-31
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-31 01:44
Hi there, Mavic Air doesn't support Waypoint Mission. You can refer to the screenshot below to know the intelligent flight modes that Mavic Air has. And I will forward to the relative team to check the comparison web, thank you for your report. [view_image]

It's still clearly advertised on french version of website, and it was on the english version up to this morning.
I archived the actual page before you guy's remove the mention :

http://archive.is/jUJO2

https://web.archive.org/web/2018 ... ndsite&from=nav

I ordered my device with Waypoint feature and I'm sorry but I want it...
2018-1-31
Use props
JimS99
lvl.2

United States

Matioupi Posted at 2018-1-31 09:12
It's still clearly advertised on french version of website, and it was on the english version up to this morning.
I archived the actual page before you guy's remove the mention :

The Waypoints are no longer listed in the comparison on Air vs Pro.   Looks like the Air will not support waypoints which is a real shame.
2018-1-31
Use props
1px0ff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237238 ft
United States

JimS99 Posted at 2018-1-31 14:08
The Waypoints are no longer listed in the comparison on Air vs Pro.   Looks like the Air will not support waypoints which is a real shame.

Agreed.  Very much a shame.  I think this just further cements the fact that they really should have named this the "Spark Pro"
2018-1-31
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

As far as i'm concerned, i'd like to cancel my order to DJI right now if they do not change their mind...
2018-1-31
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

just cancelled...
2018-1-31
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

To late for me to cancel
2018-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good to see POI is still on there from the original flight modes though
2018-1-31
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

POI and Course Lock were two of my favorite flight modes on my Phantom. Does anyone know if Course Lock has been dropped?
If DJI has dropped some of the more classic features, including Waypoints, it seems that DJI is focusing the Mavic Air (at least for now) as more of a selfie drone (as the current Spark).
However, I do think the new Boomerang and Asteroid flight modes sound like nice additions.
Maybe they are dropping some of these flight modes due to support for obstacle avoidance??
2018-2-1
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
United States

Whats is the difference from POI than flying mannualy in ActiveTrack tracking a subject?

In my Spark I use to have smooth circles around a subject using ActiveTrack
2018-2-1
Use props
JimS99
lvl.2

United States

1px0ff Posted at 2018-1-31 14:31
Agreed.  Very much a shame.  I think this just further cements the fact that they really should have named this the "Spark Pro"

just an update regarding waypoints. I received this email from dji developer support saying waypoints will be supported in SDK in the future so apps like Litchi should work, but no word on when.

Gin (DJI)
2月1日 CST16:57
Hi Jim,

Mavic Air support for mobile sdk in the future.
Mavic air support waypoints in the SDK.

Best Regards,
DJI Dev Team
2018-2-1
Use props
1px0ff
lvl.4
United States

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2018-2-1 06:55
Whats is the difference from POI than flying mannualy in ActiveTrack tracking a subject?

POI will circle an object indefinitely (as long as you have battery) the circle quick shot will only do one circle.  ActiveTrack would require manual input from you while POI can just run and circle the object.  Also POI you can point the drone anywhere, while activeTrack will focus on a single object.  A good example of this that I do with my MP is that I will set a current POI but focus the camera on the horizon to get a nice full smooth 360 shot of the horizon.
2018-2-1
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
United States

Great . Nice. Thank you for the explanation. =)
2018-2-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

windgate Posted at 2018-2-1 05:20
POI and Course Lock were two of my favorite flight modes on my Phantom. Does anyone know if Course Lock has been dropped?
If DJI has dropped some of the more classic features, including Waypoints, it seems that DJI is focusing the Mavic Air (at least for now) as more of a selfie drone (as the current Spark).
However, I do think the new Boomerang and Asteroid flight modes sound like nice additions.

Course lock was not on the Air list as far as I remember.
2018-2-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JimS99 Posted at 2018-2-1 07:16
just an update regarding waypoints. I received this email from dji developer support saying waypoints will be supported in SDK in the future so apps like Litchi should work, but no word on when.

Gin (DJI)

Good to know. Thanks.
Now just wait and see.
2018-2-1
Use props
1px0ff
lvl.4
United States

JimS99 Posted at 2018-2-1 07:16
just an update regarding waypoints. I received this email from dji developer support saying waypoints will be supported in SDK in the future so apps like Litchi should work, but no word on when.

Gin (DJI)

interesting. So they have decided not to support it in the official DJI Go 4 app, but will let 3rd party apps set waypoints.   I wonder if it is b/c the air doesn't have the two custom buttons on the back of the controller? I know that the DJI Go app relies on those pretty heavily when recording waypoints on the Mavic Pro.

Either way, thanks for the info
2018-2-1
Use props
niedenzu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2274 ft
United States

No mention of waypoints in the manual.  Heard a rumor that it will be part of the SDK.
2018-2-1
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Active track is optically based feature and is more suitable for moving subjects.
POI is GPS based feature and is more suitable for static subjects.

I have both on Spark so could do some extensive testing and in my experience situation is like above.
2018-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

1px0ff Posted at 2018-2-1 08:11
interesting. So they have decided not to support it in the official DJI Go 4 app, but will let 3rd party apps set waypoints.   I wonder if it is b/c the air doesn't have the two custom buttons on the back of the controller? I know that the DJI Go app relies on those pretty heavily when recording waypoints on the Mavic Pro.

Either way, thanks for the info

I think we will see many new apps supporting waypoints in the near future.
2018-2-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-1 11:36
I think we will see many new apps supporting waypoints in the near future.

That might get interesting for some of 'us'.
2018-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-1 11:38
That might get interesting for some of 'us'.

I don’t know if you have checked out Litchi for Mavic, it works extremely well with Mavic and is incredibly easy to program and use.
2018-2-1
Use props
Wapiti
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone tried Litchi with the Mavic Air?  Mine connected, but could not get any camera info from it.
2018-2-1
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

it's really a great feature - dunno why would they not include it - maybe just they rush to get it rdy for event, and it's still in "beta" stage
2018-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wapiti Posted at 2018-2-1 11:54
Has anyone tried Litchi with the Mavic Air?  Mine connected, but could not get any camera info from it.

I have contacted Litchi , they just said working on it.
2018-2-1
Use props
JimS99
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-1 12:02
I have contacted Litchi , they just said working on it.

Litchi told me last week they were waiting for the new developer SDK to see if it included support for waypoints on the Air.  Seems the SDK will include support, so just waiting on DJI to come out with new SDK.
2018-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JimS99 Posted at 2018-2-1 12:29
Litchi told me last week they were waiting for the new developer SDK to see if it included support for waypoints on the Air.  Seems the SDK will include support, so just waiting on DJI to come out with new SDK.

Hopefully soon.
2018-2-1
Use props
Siwyleeds mavic
lvl.3
United Kingdom

In POI it will just circle around the object. In active track it can circle around the moving object
2018-2-1
Use props
Wapiti
lvl.1
United States

Matioupi Posted at 2018-1-31 02:13
I ordered mine yesterday taking into account that this mode is advertised on DJI website, so I hope they will enable it very soon...

It's already implemented into Spark and "hidden" from users in the app which is quite a shame in my opinion.

Agreed that DJI deceived a lot of people by advertising Waypoints.  How do you know Spark is capable of Waypoints?  Litchi doesn't do waypoints for Spark either.
2018-2-1
Use props
Wapiti
lvl.1
United States

I'm tempted to return the Mavic Air and get a Mavic Pro.  Really need Waypoints.
2018-2-1
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

why do you think all the reviews were very limited before release.  and manuals didnt show up till after release.  what a company.
2018-2-1
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Wapiti Posted at 2018-2-1 14:41
Agreed that DJI deceived a lot of people by advertising Waypoints.  How do you know Spark is capable of Waypoints?  Litchi doesn't do waypoints for Spark either.

Spark can do it with the modded GO 4, but I have never tried it myself (the waypoints ;-). I have no doubt that the Air can do it as well and that the feature might be released in a while with a future GO 4 version.
2018-2-1
Use props
Wapiti
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-1 16:43
Spark can do it with the modded GO 4, but I have never tried it myself (the waypoints ;-). I have no doubt that the Air can do it as well and that the feature might be released in a while with a future GO 4 version.

I really want to use the Mavic Air with Litchi mission planning.  That's what I bought it for.
2018-2-1
Use props
1px0ff
lvl.4
United States

Wapiti Posted at 2018-2-1 11:54

Almost certainly DJI has not released an updated version of the SDK that supports the Air.  Once they do that Litchi will have to update the app to use the new SDK and test with the Air.  If all goes well then they can push to the stores and update the app.
2018-2-1
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-1 16:43

I confirm it can, and the patch to enable it in app is not addding some coding logics, it's just "re-enabling the capabilities in the GUI page for Spark were DJI choose to remove them by default..." (cheapeast way rather to have to maintain 2 versions of flight controller or other more sensitive software modules...)

https://github.com/Bin4ry/deejay ... tModesOnSpark.patch
2018-2-1
Use props
fans0581316e
lvl.2
Italy

I have good news! Waypoint mode will be added to the Mavic Air by DJi in a future update. See image with the email exchange that I had with DJI support.

2018-2-8
Use props
Kimosabe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 166703 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans0581316e Posted at 2018-2-8 13:49
I have good news! Waypoint mode will be added to the Mavic Air by DJi in a future update. See image with the email exchange that I had with DJI support.

[view_image]

Hopefully they do the same for course lock....
2018-2-8
Use props
fans39c7196e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 480728 ft
United States

Matioupi Posted at 2018-1-31 02:13
I ordered mine yesterday taking into account that this mode is advertised on DJI website, so I hope they will enable it very soon...

Yep.  Just confirmed NO WAYPOINTS option! I too ordered for this feature after seeing it advertised on their website and will be returning soon if this flight mode is not added soon!
2018-2-11
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

I did cancel my order as soon as I realized that I was getttig fooled.
DJI have now removed the initialy advertised feature from the website (english and french pages). I believe you can sit on getting this feature because some "ultra-smart" multi MBA marketing guy decided it will kill the sales of higher grade devices (the guy probably also gave a sales decrease percentage estimation figure with 2 or 3 digits after point)
You can still refer to archive.org or archive.is (links above) if you need to prove that the feature was advertised at time you ordered the product.
2018-2-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules