Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI changed the compass calibration instructions!
5375 10 2018-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi guys,
all the years I calibrated the compass of my Dji drones once (after unboxing) and then only when the App or Aircraft asked about it.

Now (Mavic manual V2.0) Dji instruct to calibrate the compass when:

•     Flying at a location farther than 10 km away from the last flight location.
  •     The aircraft hasn’t been flown for more than one month.
  •     A compass interference warning appears in the DJI GO 4 app, and the warning persists after changing    location.

compass.jpeg
    Has Dji changed anything in the FW/Compass calculations?

Maybe this should be made as a sticky thread, because I just read this randomly...

2018-1-30
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Wow this amazes me.
It is not like they corrected a typo, this completely different from what I've red 1 year ago.
Yes I do like this to be a sticky,  wondering what motivated DJI to change this important piece of information.This could mean that a larg group of users need to calibrate their compass every time they go flying..
Thank you for your useful post!

*this is a easy way for DJI to get rid of warranty claims*
2018-1-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, it is always recommended calibrating the compass in the situations the new manual stating. Thank you.
2018-1-30
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-30 20:59
Hi there, it is always recommended calibrating the compass in the situations the new manual stating. Thank you.

Hi Thor,
I think it is very interesting that all the time (the last years I think) Dji and the manual said:
Only calibrate when prompted to do so.

Now there is a complete new announcement:
You have to calibrate when moving 10km(!) away from your last flightlocation, when the Aircraft was grounded for more than a month or when prompted.

Is there a reason why Dji changed the directions?
I also think this change should be made clearly visible for all users here because the compass is one of the most important parts in our hightech drones.
2018-1-30
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m waiting for my apology........
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good find though I have always calibrated the compass on every flight with every drone and it always returns to me on the rare occasions the signal is lost. I just make damn sure there is nothing in my vicinity to cause magnetic interference before calibrating - this update comes as no surprise other than the update not being written in the first place.
2018-2-7
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-2-7 09:52
Good find though I have always calibrated the compass on every flight with every drone and it always returns to me on the rare occasions the signal is lost. I just make damn sure there is nothing in my vicinity to cause magnetic interference before calibrating - this update comes as no surprise other than the update not being written in the first place.

Me too, it is no hardship doing the cali dance, same as I always check RTH height settings, distance etc before every flight without fail and then I double check. It costs nothing and could save thousands/hundreds whatever drone you fly and crash/loose.
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-2-7 10:41
Me too, it is no hardship doing the cali dance, same as I always check RTH height settings, distance etc before every flight without fail and then I double check. It costs nothing and could save thousands/hundreds whatever drone you fly and crash/loose.

I calibrate the MPP in my hands through a central axis rather than around me - though still do the DJI dance with my P4P.
2018-2-7
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Good find! (Maybe I should go an re-read the new manual one of these winter evenings)

The re-calibration instructions make sense. Local geomagnetic signature may be quite different from the one where you flew last. I think I came across such situation last summer, when Mavic went BATTI in what looked like completely safe environment.
2018-2-7
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Deviations in geographical locations can trigger a re-calibration, personally I have driven 20-30 miles from my last flight location and flew my MP & P4P with nor problems and no app requests to calibrate, On the other hand my P3P wants me to calibrate the compass if I move 100 meters !

This was the latest chart available I could find
[url=%5Burl=https://postimg.org/image/vlbt3hcl1/%5D[/url]]Magnetic Deviation Chart[/url]
2018-2-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI need to make a policy decision here I think, Mavic Pro 10km & Mavic Air recommends 50km distance before calibrating, the flagship P4 Pro does not require to be done until advised by system.

I've done the same as you Dirk52, and have never had a need to recalibrate compass as yet when changing locations.

Although strangely enough I always have a compulsion to do all the calibrations after a firmware update, working on the principle its one less thing to look at should there be any problems.
2018-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules