An interesting idea for crash recovery
649 4 2018-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41801 ft
United States

I subscribed to Make Magazine (an inventor magizine of sorts).  This is a link to an article on how to build a parachute for a drone that will deploy if it runs out of power and starts to crash.

https://makezine.com/projects/diy-drone-recovery-parachute

I am not sure this would be very practical for a smaller drone due to the weight but it is an interesting idea.  Maybe somebody will get some ideas on how to create something light enough that could work although just running out of power and crashing does not seem like the typical problem.

2018-1-30
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

It probably wouldn't be that hard to do.  A parachute for a spark wouldn't be that big...I'm confident a spark could easily accommodate that size payload.

Triggering a release on low battery or high speed descent would be relatively easy.

But I think you make a good point...that probably isn't your typical issue.  It's more often crashes and fly aways.
2018-1-30
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
India

this method is only when there is no power or during a battery fall out. But there are many instances the SPARK simply falls from the Sky with power on board and motors spinning.
To add a parachute system such as described, we have an additional weight from an extra battery !!
2018-1-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It sounds like a cool idea, but I'm afraid that it is still not practical at this moment.
2018-2-4
Use props
Mark S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41801 ft
United States

Yes ... I would agree ... not practical.

But maybe it will be inspirational for some other ideas.

2018-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules