1405 14 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans582568a5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3304 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Mavic Pro and I'm looking to carry out some editing on a laptop, as I'm on a budget I found this and just wanted some advice to see if this was suitable for 4K editing ?
Medion X6603 i5 15.6 In 8GB 1TB GTX1050TI Gaming Laptop at Argos for £719.99
I'm guessing when you edit your footage that everyone carries this out at 4K and not 2.7K ?
Thanks in adavance, all new to this side of it.
Rob.
2018-1-31
Use props
KatotterFGCU
lvl.1
United States

Been dabbling in editing myself, I got the Surface Book 2 15", very pricey, that said similar specs.(i7/1060 B's i5/1050)

Works flawlessly. So I can't imagine you'd have much trouble. Hope this helps!
2018-1-31
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

You need allot of memory, try 16GB memory. Fast HDD, like SDD is preffered. Good grafic accelorator, at least 1050Ti.. GTX 1060 (6GB mem.) or GTX1070. Want to use Adobe premiere for editing, take at least 6 cores for processing power(this is more important than expensive grafic accelorator). If you use program like Davinci resolve, then grafic card becomes more important. At least make a reservation for about 2000 euro to edit 4K on a laptop.

Need to be cheap, take a look at AMD processors, skip intel.
Buy quality for the best price not cheap stuff that stops working after 3 years
2018-1-31
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anoniem Posted at 2018-1-31 04:20
You need allot of memory, try 16GB memory. Fast HDD, like SDD is preffered. Good grafic accelorator, at least 1050Ti.. GTX 1060 (6GB mem.) or GTX1070. Want to use Adobe premiere for editing, take at least 6 cores for processing power(this is more important than expensive grafic accelorator). If you use program like Davinci resolve, then grafic card becomes more important. At least make a reservation for about 2000 euro to edit 4K on a laptop.

"At least make a reservation for about 2000 euro to edit 4K on a laptop"
100% agree...maybe the OP should look into getting a desktop.  He'll get a lot more for his money.
2018-1-31
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

See you are in the UK.?

Unless you really need a Laptop.?
Desktop is a better option, you can configure and upgrade as your needs change.

I have had dealings with QuitePC, bit expensive, but good support.

Like the NanoCube Range

No connection, just a satisfied customer
2018-1-31
Use props
Airhopper 1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3304 ft
United Kingdom

KatotterFGCU Posted at 2018-1-31 03:47
Been dabbling in editing myself, I got the Surface Book 2 15", very pricey, that said similar specs.(i7/1060 B's i5/1050)

Works flawlessly. So I can't imagine you'd have much trouble. Hope this helps!

Great, thanks.
2018-1-31
Use props
Vincent.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459738 ft
United States

Anoniem Posted at 2018-1-31 04:20
You need allot of memory, try 16GB memory. Fast HDD, like SDD is preffered. Good grafic accelorator, at least 1050Ti.. GTX 1060 (6GB mem.) or GTX1070. Want to use Adobe premiere for editing, take at least 6 cores for processing power(this is more important than expensive grafic accelorator). If you use program like Davinci resolve, then grafic card becomes more important. At least make a reservation for about 2000 euro to edit 4K on a laptop.

I'm editing with a 1050 on a xps 15 and it's enough, Adobe use processor mainly
2018-1-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am editing on a laptop. Works ok for 4K, but not very smooth.
But choose a i7 with the highest available clockspeed.
Also 16GB+ fast memory
I also have a fast videocard (6Gb mem) not sure if that helps with the editing, but some say it makes a difference.
2018-1-31
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-31 06:23
I am editing on a laptop. Works ok for 4K, but not very smooth.
But choose a i7 with the highest available clockspeed.
Also 16GB+ fast memory

In Adobe the grafic card is mostly needed for real time applying changes like color grade, change of speed for playback.
All these things just go smoother but the best investment is processing power, more cores if you use premiere.

I have a AMD build, ryzen 7 1700 processor(cheap) and clocked at 3.6Ghz.
Using 32 GB memory and GTX1070.
500GB ssd for scratchdisk and 4 TB to backup files.
This was cheaper than 2000 euro, but very fast with editing in 4K.
2018-1-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Anoniem Posted at 2018-1-31 07:23
In Adobe the grafic card is mostly needed for real time applying changes like color grade, change of speed for playback.
All these things just go smoother but the best investment is processing power, more cores if you use premiere.

That is similar to mine indeed, but 4K is still a lot of data to process....
2018-1-31
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

I'm having lots of trouble editing with my bad I5 laptop. Do you guys think it'll go better if I take 2.7k videos instead of 4k? I'm using Davinci Resolve and the export speed is horribly slow.
2018-1-31
Use props
VLOGNOSIS
lvl.3
United States

GPU's are vital to video editing. The GTX1050 is a decent GPU, so I think you'd be satisfied. I wish I had known this before I bought my current laptop... it's an i7, SSD, etc... but the GPU is an Intel whatever, and it creates a bottleneck in performance when video editing.
2018-1-31
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Netherlands

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-31 08:01
I'm having lots of trouble editing with my bad I5 laptop. Do you guys think it'll go better if I take 2.7k videos instead of 4k? I'M using Davinci Resolve and the export speed is horribly slow.

Davinci resolve is free and is having allot of professional tools for color correction and grading, it needs a solid grafic card. And of course if you are having more processing cores it wil take less time to output your video. Why not download the adobe cloud and select premiere, you can try this 1 week without limitations. Some users are are applying a "repair" patch to continue working after the trail has ended.
2018-1-31
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Anoniem Posted at 2018-1-31 10:09
Davinci resolve is free and is having allot of professional tools for color correction and grading, it needs a solid grafic card. And of course if you are having more processing cores it wil take less time to output your video. Why not download the adobe cloud and select premiere, you can try this 1 week without limitations. Some users are are applying a "repair" patch to continue working after the trail has ended.

I will try those out. What's the "repair" patch and where do you get it?
2018-1-31
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Netherlands

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-31 10:58
I will try those out. What's the "repair" patch and where do you get it?

Adobe premiere can used for limited time, if you want to keep using then you need to pay for it.
If a person is avoiding the payment by using crack (patch) then this illegal.
Some people are doing this.
I think that if you are just playing with the software and not using it very often the monthly fee is to high.
Of course you can choose a free software package that will do just fine for some basic editing.
2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules