Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Buying new inspire 2
1938 19 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m in the initial though process of investing in an inspire 2, does anyone have any advice as to what is the best camera setup and if it’s worth it because at this time I fly the inspire 1 Pro x5. Is the photo/video quality dramatically better than the inspire 1 Pro? Any thoughts or advice is welcome....
2018-1-31
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Well, thanks for the help....
2018-1-31
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

lol relax only 18 people have viewed this, and only 2 hours since your first post. Wish I could help, but from my limited knowledge I would think keeping the I1 with X5 be better. Unless you get the I2 with the X7. Could also just check the DJI website to compare specs on X5 and X5S and go from there.
2018-1-31
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

If I already owned an I1, I would definitely not purchase the I2.  In my opinion, it is not worth the extra money.  

Product (software) capabilities advertised for the I2 more than a year ago have not been delivered, and features supported on the I1 such as offline mode have been removed on the I2.  It seems less reliable than the I1, not more reliable.  This is firstly because of recurring single-point-failure software bugs that defeat the objective of "failsafe batteries" and "redundant controller".  And secondly it is because of flight instability and unreliability with loose propellers, broken "quick mounts" for propellers, and motors falling off in flight.  The manufacturer DJI has placed almost no priority in delivering the promised reliability or software features of the I2 for commercial use.  Those of us who bought an I2 have been short changed and conned.  Also, there are several aspects of the I1 that are better engineered than the I2, for example the motors seem more securely attached on the I1 and seem to fall off in mid-flight less often than on the I2.

It seems to me that DJI's priority has been in developing the Mavic Pro and now the Mavic Air for the mass market, and they seem to have abandoned the commercial / professional movie market that at one time had so much potential with the I2.  The Mavic product line is where all the software features are fully supported, and where bugs in software seem to get fixed rapidly, and where there is fairly good customer support.  

So, my suggestion is to keep the Inspire 1 for when you need slightly better camera resolution, and buy a Mavic Pro Platinum for when you need software and a drone that works with all software features you need for pro use.  If you buy an Inspire 2, you will end up with a very expensive drone that spends 80% of its time incapable of flying or filming due to numerous software bugs and hardware failures, and in which only 50% of the advertised features have been delivered.

I am not saying in any way that DJI are incapable or lacking in engineering skill.  The Mavic Air is an engineering marvel and a testimony to the skill of DJI's engineering team, and it seems to be a very good buy.
However DJI management have conned and abandoned commercial customers of the I2, because they have not delivered either on reliability or features that were advertised for commercial users.
They seem not to care about the I2 any more!!
2018-1-31
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-1-31 11:18
If I already owned an I1, I would definitely not purchase the I2.  In my opinion, it is not worth the extra money.  

Product (software) capabilities advertised for the I2 more than a year ago have not been delivered, and features supported on the I1 such as offline mode have been removed on the I2.  It seems less reliable than the I1, not more reliable.  This is firstly because of recurring single-point-failure software bugs that defeat the objective of "failsafe batteries" and "redundant controller".  And secondly it is because of flight instability and unreliability with loose propellers, broken "quick mounts" for propellers, and motors falling off in flight.  The manufacturer DJI has placed almost no priority in delivering the promised reliability or software features of the I2 for commercial use.  Those of us who bought an I2 have been short changed and conned.  Also, there are several aspects of the I1 that are better engineered than the I2, for example the motors seem more securely attached on the I1 and seem to fall off in mid-flight less often than on the I2.

Thanks for your input and you are right about dji, the inspire series are too expensive for the average joe so instead of delivering promised feature for the inspire series the are pumping out cheaper drones that everyone can afford... it’s all about the$$$$$$$$
2018-1-31
Use props
Orind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129754 ft
United States

What is the I1 lacking that has you thinking about upgrading?  Is the flight time to short?  Is it not as stable in the air as you would like?  Is it just the I1 is getting long in the tooth and you want to move to a more current platform?

2018-1-31
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-1-31 11:18

Product (software) capabilities advertised for the I2 more than a year ago have not been delivered, and features supported on the I1 such as offline mode have been removed on the I2.  It seems less reliable than the I1, not more reliable.  This is firstly because of recurring single-point-failure software bugs that defeat the objective of "failsafe batteries" and "redundant controller".  And secondly it is because of flight instability and unreliability with loose propellers, broken "quick mounts" for propellers, and motors falling off in flight.  The manufacturer DJI has placed almost no priority in delivering the promised reliability or software features of the I2 for commercial use.  Those of us who bought an I2 have been short changed and conned.  Also, there are several aspects of the I1 that are better engineered than the I2, for example the motors seem more securely attached on the I1 and seem to fall off in mid-flight less often than on the I2.

Wrong. The inspire 2 never crashed because of the propeller design or mount.

It has crashed many times because the legs can come off and the motors can come off.
And the battery error.

Both inspire 1 and inspire 2 never had crashes from the oem T prop design.
The inspire 1 however used to have multiple crashes on the S prop design both threaded and QR.
2018-1-31
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-1-31 09:11
Well, thanks for the help....

The inspire 3 will likely come out in 6 months or so. Stick with inspire 1 till that comes out. Main difference is camera from 4k to 5.2k.
2018-1-31
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-1-31 12:46
Thanks for your input and you are right about dji, the inspire series are too expensive for the average joe so instead of delivering promised feature for the inspire series the are pumping out cheaper drones that everyone can afford... it’s all about the$$$$$$$$

It depends how important 5.2k cam is in your work
2018-1-31
Use props
dan_vector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 613753 ft
Oman

Don't do it. My I2 has been terrible from day 1. Wobbling and vibrating props and very unstable in flight. I've grounded the I2 and haven't flown it in a while.

DJI simply don't give a sh1t and each and every time I contact support on the issue I get a promise and then some supervisor overrules the CS agent and tells me it's not a design flaw or a problem.

I've had enough so my advice is avoid the I2 like the plague and keep your I1 because it is a much better made aircraft.
2018-1-31
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dan_vector Posted at 2018-1-31 21:46
Don't do it. My I2 has been terrible from day 1. Wobbling and vibrating props and very unstable in flight. I've grounded the I2 and haven't flown it in a while.

DJI simply don't give a sh1t and each and every time I contact support on the issue I get a promise and then some supervisor overrules the CS agent and tells me it's not a design flaw or a problem.

I think I’ll just keep my inspire 1 Pro, thanks for the advice....
2018-2-1
Use props
skypal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 560256 ft
Germany

Dji do you listen to this thread?

Does it make you proud how customers talking about your products?

Well thats what you get, well deserved Dji
2018-2-1
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansd845e849 Posted at 2018-1-31 20:57
The inspire 3 will likely come out in 6 months or so. Stick with inspire 1 till that comes out. Main difference is camera from 4k to 5.2k.

Why would you buy an Inspire 3 when they have not stood behind the Inspire 2. My Inspire 2 drifts all over the place in a hover. I have a Phantom Obsidian that doesn't move an inch in a hover in  a 12 Knot wind. Instead of taking care of the I2 they come out with an I3. Just trash my I2 and sink another $10K on an I3 and hope they remedy the previous problems. I hardly think so.
2018-2-2
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I was disappointed when they took away the ability to use an Osmo in the I2 design where they put the licensing chip inside the bird.  Meaning an external Osmo would need another licensed chip in the handle and another $1,200 if ever done which now seems remote too.  I don't think that will happen now being there are cheaper gimbals working with cheaper M43 cameras out there and not trapped into a licensing arrangement.

They should issue a recall to maybe rivet or secure the motor arms better to prevent them from coming loose due to poorly glued joints.  There's a lot of stress applied to the feet in normal use that might break that joint.  Inspire 1 legs were a lot beefier too.

Then I have issues with magenta images too since DJI does not allow for tint controls in manual white balance conditions.  Other makers do, but not DJI which could be added in GO to address.

The X7 and lens system may become an Edsel too.  Don't know if the lens mount will be supported by others and is a locked system as is with the cinema chip inside the bird too.  I like the ability to use other makers lenses as well as some of my own creations with the M43 mount.  Led me to buying into an Olympus Pen-F and later to an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II camera which I will keep if I do get rid of the drones being the X5S camera uses that standard Olympus/Panasonic camera mount and not a proprietary X7 one.

2018-2-2
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2018-2-2 08:27
I was disappointed when they took away the ability to use an Osmo in the I2 design where they put the licensing chip inside the bird.  Meaning an external Osmo would need another licensed chip in the handle and another $1,200 if ever done which now seems remote too.  I don't think that will happen now being there are cheaper gimbals working with cheaper M43 cameras out there and not trapped into a licensing arrangement.

They should issue a recall to maybe rivet or secure the motor arms better to prevent them from coming loose due to poorly glued joints.  There's a lot of stress applied to the feet in normal use that might break that joint.  Inspire 1 legs were a lot beefier too.

Thank you for the advice, I’m going to stick with my inspire 1 Pro.....
2018-2-2
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

what are you looking to gain with the I2, as you have an X5 the X5S is the natural choice, you gain at minimum new 20mp, 10mbps H264 and 265 footage and a massively improved craft, the Inspire 2 is by far the best pro tool DJI have released, there is a lot of BS and nonsense posted as issues like above are extrlty rear, overall its a fantastic bit of kit and the used as a single operator with Cendence and Spotlight Pro it can really produce some amazing footage.

2018-2-2
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Wow, yet another thread about I2 that gives me chills!
Im still on the fence for a Inspire 2, and a "full package" really is allot of money...
2018-2-2
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-2-2 11:25
Wow, yet another thread about I2 that gives me chills!
Im still on the fence for a Inspire 2, and a "full package" really is allot of money...

I also have the phantom 4 Pro/ advanced, I use the iPad Pro 10.5 I have it “unlocked” using the digdat0 method and I must say, it’s a very nice set-up. It has basically the same camera as the inspire 2 with the x4 camera and it’s much less expensive. Like you said, “gives me the chills” it gives me chills sending 6 grand up in the air on a quad that’s arms fall off because of cheap glue? Really?
2018-2-2
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2018-2-2 11:13
what are you looking to gain with the I2, as you have an X5 the X5S is the natural choice, you gain at minimum new 20mp, 10mbps H264 and 265 footage and a massively improved craft, the Inspire 2 is by far the best pro tool DJI have released, there is a lot of BS and nonsense posted as issues like above are extrlty rear, overall its a fantastic bit of kit and the used as a single operator with Cendence and Spotlight Pro it can really produce some amazing footage.

I am in agreement here. Sure, there're some issues, but it's not nearly as bad as others describe them. I had both crafts and I think the I2 is much better. Of course, it's just my opinion
2018-2-2
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

How bad is bad. For a $10k drone, it is not acceptable in my humble opinion.
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules