Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Problem with Course Lock mode
3556 6 2014-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nfatoys
lvl.3

United States

I’m not having any success trying to fly my Phantom 2 with CL mode enabled.   IOC and Home lock seems to work fine.  But CL is not behaving like it should.

I enabled CL & HL mode in the DJI software.  And then took my Phantom 2 out for a test flight.  Good satellite reception and successful compass calibration.   I started the Phantom on the ground facing away from me (battery towards me) ascended to about 20 feet, then flew it out about 100 feet.   I switched to CL mode and pushed the right stick Forward expecting the quad to move away from me.  Instead it flew off to my left.   Playing with the right stick confirmed that CL appeared to be rotated left 90°, with Forward to my left.

I repeated the Startup, and compass cal process.  Only this time I switched to CL mode before it ascended.  I pushed the right stick Forward and again the Phantom flew off to my left.

I’m not sure if it means anything, but to my left was Magnetic North.   Is this a case of pilot error?  Or is there a possible hardware / software issue at play here?
2014-10-27
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Power on.
Do the compass calibration after you see the rapid series of green LED flashes that indicates a forward direction has been recorded.
Power off.
Then, power on, and wait until you see the rapid series of green LED flashes that indicates a forward direction has been recorded.
Then, take off, fly out, and see if the directions are correct...
2014-10-27
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

you need to get two sets of rapid green flashes before take off

the first burst comes after 30 secs indicating it has recorded it heading, ie course lock.
the second burst of greens will come once its established enough satelites and when you power up the motors.this burst indicate home position has been recorded.as Tj mentions its important to power cycle after the compass calibration.

lastly course lock wont work unless the craft is out a distance, from memory i think its 20 meters.. you say in your post you "switched to CL BEFORE it ascended " ...afraid that wont work.
Remember for CL to work it needs to know your out a distance from home, thats why its important to wait for the second burst of greens as explained above
2014-10-27
Use props
nfatoys
lvl.3

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-27 23:59
Power on.
Do the compass calibration after you see the rapid series of green LED flashes that indica ...

TJ, I just tried your suggestion and it worked.   I don't know what I did wrong the past couple of times I tried CL mode, but this time it worked.   

By powering down, then back up after compass and GPS calibration and lock, does that do something different, than just doing a GP lock and compass cal and continuing on to fly the quad?   Or was this just an exercise to make sure I didn't miss a step?

Thanks again.
Gary ...
2014-10-27
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

Okay, let me first say that nobody here is wrong.
This stuff is just hard to keep straight sometimes...
I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
Eirlink:
HL will not work < 10m from Home Point.
When you get in that close, it reverts to CL.
CL works at any position.
nfatoys:
I was afraid that when you did the compass calibration, you might be getting the rapid green LEDs while you were doing it.
Then, you really can't be sure what might have been recorded.
The aircraft needs to be still when the rapid green LEDs flash.
Also, most pilots (myself included) do the compass calibration and don't fly without powering down and back up again.
It does not specifically say that you have to, but I started doing it because I needed to stop and put my watch, cell phone, magnetic money clip, glasses, belt, and pocket knife back in place on my person...
If it works, go with it...
I can't give you a specific reason why.
2014-10-27
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

TJ is correct , home lock only works outside the 10m cordon.
so many things to remember , it hard at times
2014-10-27
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

Man, I'm getting so bad lately that it scares me!
It's not Alzheimers...
It's just "Old Timers"...
2014-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules