Short range loss of connection
1994 16 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3c2f97f0
lvl.1
United States

Hey everyone! Hope you're al enjoying your Mavic Air.

I took mine out on its maiden voyage this afternoon, and when I flew it over 40 feet, all connecting and video transmission cut out which then required an emergency landing.

Has anyone else experienced this?
2018-1-31
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What controller were you using and in what environment?
2018-1-31
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1868376 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try using the 5Ghz band instead of the 2.4ghz band. If you are flying in a congested area with a lot of 2.4ghz wireless signals such as home routers, you will get really bad signal. This is because there are only 3 bands in the 2.4Ghz range. The 5Ghz range has more bands that don’t overlap and has a stronger signal. You would only use the 2.4Ghz band for really long distance flights where there is no interference.
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geez - 7 of the first posts on here are about problems with the Mavic Air - glad I waited now!
2018-2-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, please first ensure that you had unfolded the antennas in front of the drone as well as the RC. And check if there is too much interference in the current channel, choose a channel with less noise. Also, please try to fly in another open area to avoid the interference if possible. While flying, you might also need to adjust the antennas on the RC, make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft. BTW, check if the firmware has updated to the latest version. If the issue persists, please provide me with the screenshot of the Wi-Fi settings, the screenshot of the firmware info on About in General Settings. Thank you.
2018-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-2-1 02:01
Geez - 7 of the first posts on here are about problems with the Mavic Air - glad I waited now!

Think you might easily pick up seven problems on the Mavic forum, and it’s almost 18 months.
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-1 02:31
Think you might easily pick up seven problems on the Mavic forum, and it’s almost 18 months.

Well I don't have any problems with my Mavic Platinum at all I'm very pleased to say - which only launched 5 months ago. Still, I've also seen pictures of peoples fingers cut to shreads with an Inspire 2 so perhaps I'm just lucky but one thing is certain - the Mavic Air is in the same club
2018-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-2-1 03:45
Well I don't have any problems with my Mavic Platinum at all I'm very pleased to say - which only launched 5 months ago. Still, I've also seen pictures of peoples fingers cut to shreads with an Inspire 2 so perhaps I'm just lucky but one thing is certain - the Mavic Air is in the same club

It takes a while for all these things to settle down, I’m expecting problems to increase exponentially as soon as more people get their MavAir, I’m waiting for the first apas accident to happen when somebody tries to fly around their head, now that could be serious.
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-1 03:58
It takes a while for all these things to settle down, I’m expecting problems to increase exponentially as soon as more people get their MavAir, I’m waiting for the first apas accident to happen when somebody tries to fly around their head, now that could be serious.

Problems are part of the fun I think. Anyone who expects absolute perfection from a consumer grade drone has their expectation bar a little too high. I've seen one post before of a guy who wrote an essay on here because he had a scratch the size of an ant on his Mavic's LCD screen... They're out there LOL. You and I know that there are some serious faulty drones out there but probably 1 in 100 if that.
2018-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-2-1 04:04
Problems are part of the fun I think. Anyone who expects absolute perfection from a consumer grade drone has their expectation bar a little too high. I've seen one post before of a guy who wrote an essay on here because he had a scratch the size of an ant on his Mavic's LCD screen... They're out there LOL. You and I know that there are some serious faulty drones out there but probably 1 in 100 if that.

“It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right.”
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-1 04:07
“It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right.”

Never a truer word spoken
2018-2-1
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

I bet you work in Bureaucracy...
2018-2-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I wonder where you always find your wonderful quotes hitting the nail... :-)
2018-2-1
Use props
fans3c2f97f0
lvl.1
United States

braddahjosh808 Posted at 2018-2-1 01:39
Try using the 5Ghz band instead of the 2.4ghz band. If you are flying in a congested area with a lot of 2.4ghz wireless signals such as home routers, you will get really bad signal. This is because there are only 3 bands in the 2.4Ghz range. The 5Ghz range has more bands that don’t overlap and has a stronger signal. You would only use the 2.4Ghz band for really long distance flights where there is no interference.

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't even thought of that.

I went to a different area of the city and it flew with no issues. I think it was just the area I was in.
2018-2-1
Use props
sica
Second Officer
Flight distance : 679 ft
Israel

If I am wrong with the forum administrators to correct me: in the latest firmware versions they have reduced the aircraft power / RC! This explains the loss of signal at relatively small distances from what DJI says! FCC mode ... CE mode ... already the product is no longer compatible with the specifications in the prospectus! Next week I want to test the RC's real emission power in the lab, with an oscilloscope at RC Mavic.
2018-2-1
Use props
Riotcontrol
lvl.3
United States

Good to know about 5ghz!  I received my Mavic Air yesterday but was not able to get it up in the air behind my office till late   it was on 2.4ghz and within 30-40 feet I had strong interference from the surrounding buildings/wifi etc.
2018-2-1
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1868376 ft
  • >>>
United States

Riotcontrol Posted at 2018-2-1 09:00
Good to know about 5ghz!  I received my Mavic Air yesterday but was not able to get it up in the air behind my office till late   it was on 2.4ghz and within 30-40 feet I had strong interference from the surrounding buildings/wifi etc.

Yah. The 2.4Ghz band is so congested especially in suburban areas where every house has a wifi router. I can't even get a decent wifi signal to my laptop from my home WIFI using the 2.4Ghz band because there so much interference.
2018-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules