Altitude ground level vs. sea level
1820 3 2015-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is covered already, but I have a flight scheduled for next week. How do you deal with ridges. I have a flight that starts at 500' above sea level and then goes down into a valley about 100' above sea level. When I want the inspire 1 to return home, what altitude should I set so it doesn't run into the side of the ridge. Since the inspire 1 doesn't care about sea level it assumes where ever it is to be the 0 altitude. Any help understanding this would be great.

Thanks
2015-4-27
Use props
Scotflieger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26875098 ft
United Kingdom

The I1 displayed altitude is that at the launch/take off site.  I have sent the I1 below this point at seen a negative attitude (only to -5m).  I have always manually taken the bird up to a positive altitude before pressing RTH. The I1 has climbed to the safe return height before returning to the home point. I would test this out before using the auto return to home.
2015-4-27
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

Hi Scot, thanks for the advice. The bigger concern is that when it can potentially act up or running on low battery. I know as an operator you can override the rth, but it would have been better for DJI to build the system based on sea level and as the operator, much like a pilot does, set the altimeter accordingly. This way it will flying without the concern. Maybe I am over thinking it, but will have to test it out on a building first.
2015-4-27
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

Several other posts address this issue. The consensus seems to be that the INSPIRE will climb to the RTH height set RELATIVE TO THE HOME POINT, regardless of negative or positive relative altitude. However, Scotflieger's advise is sound; try it for yourself in a safe location.
2015-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules