Mavic Pro mapping?
7040 4 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RicknCovington
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186322 ft
United States

EDITED: Just had an online chat with DJI Malvar, and DJI does not currently support mapping with the Mavic Pro.  They say they will come out with something, "...in the near future."  So, in the meantime, what third-party app have you found to work best or be the most useful with the Mavic Pro?
Original Question: Does DJI have an app/software to use the Mavic Pro for mapping.  I read where the GS Pro app does not list the Mavic Pro as a compatible aircraft  I have an Ipad Mini 3 and would like to know what is the best or most useful app for mapping with the MP.  Thanks...

2018-1-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Rick, in fact, you can fly the Mavic Pro with GS Pro, so I suggest downloading this app to your iPad mini 3 and use this app for mapping. Hope it provides you with some info. And for our support, may I know the email address that you used for contacting our support? I would like to forward the case to the designated team to check the details and enhance the training to provide a better service for our customers. Sorry for the misleading.
2018-2-1
Use props
DroneMapper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6880 ft
United States

Hello Rick,
We have seen a large number of customers producing georeferenced maps and 3D models with the Mavic.. as Thor said, I would recommend using the GS Pro application. Make sure to fly at a high enough elevation and obtain the required overlap between in-track and cross-track flight lines. You can test out processing your imagery collection for free using desktop photogrammetry software: download dronemapper

..and more information on the processing steps: Quick Start Guide - Rapid

I would also look into the app called Map Pilot for iOS for imagery collection and flight control.

good luck! thanks,
JP
2018-2-3
Use props
RicknCovington
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186322 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-1 01:04
Hi Rick, in fact, you can fly the Mavic Pro with GS Pro, so I suggest downloading this app to your iPad mini 3 and use this app for mapping. Hope it provides you with some info. And for our support, may I know the email address that you used for contacting our support? I would like to forward the case to the designated team to check the details and enhance the training to provide a better service for our customers. Sorry for the misleading.

I appreciate your response Thor, but I also have issue with it.

But, first let me address your request for my email address to help figure out how to "...enhance the training...".  I've given you the name of the DJI support person.  I realize I'm in the states and your support center probably is not, so maybe Malvar is a more common name, say in Europe or Asia, but here in the US I would pretty much bet anything that you couldn't find any place that has more than one "Malvar" working there.  So, it should be pretty easy on your end to determine the individual, and get the record of the help ticket (that I'm sure he was filling out while helping me.) So, you don't need my email address.

But, back to the more important issue....advising "you can fly the Mavic Pro with GS Pro..,"  I find it amazing you would provide that advise to a customer, when history on these DJI forums has shown that the #1 DJI response to most flyaway issues or any issue for that matter, is incompatibility...Go check the compatibility specs.  Yet, it clearly shows in the GS Pro compatibility specs that Mavic Pro is not listed as a supported platform.  If it is compatible, why isn't it listed in the specs, as such?  GS Pro has had numerous upgrades and updates since the Mavic Pro was first released.  So, if GS Pro is truly the compatible app for the Mavic Pro, then why isn't it listed in the specs?  A DJI oversight?  I just don't think it is an oversight.

From a legal liability prospective, until Mavic Pro is added to the GS Pro compatibility specs, I cannot use it.  Insurance companies could deny coverage and FAA could impose big fines on me, should any major mishap or accident ever happened during use of the app with Mavic Pro.

Let me know when you do, and I'll be glad to give it a try.
2018-2-8
Use props
RickGleason
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17946 ft
United States

Good morning

I tried using the app last night with my Mavic Pro and I couldn't launch.  Said to switch to "P" mode before I could launch.  Any suggestions??

Rick
rickgleason83@yahoo.com
2019-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules