Phantom 3 Pro Camera Reboot W/ DJI Logo
2227 19 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cd_207
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

When I try to take a photo or start recording my screen will turn black and the DJI logo will appear. If anyone has an idea on why this is happening or how I can fix it that would be great. I've formatted the memory card, used a different memeory card, reinstalled the app, and used a different device to use the app but still get the same result.

App Verison: 3.1.27
Aircraft: 1.11.20
Remote Controller: 1.9.2

Thank you,

2018-1-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It looks like the SD card is taking a month of Sundays to write the file, so look at getting a better card. The best card you can buy is a Sandisk Extreme series card.
2018-1-31
Use props
cd_207
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-31 18:46
It looks like the SD card is taking a month of Sundays to write the file, so look at getting a better card. The best card you can buy is a Sandisk Extreme series card.

I have the SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB in the drone. I have another in my dslr and tried that but it does the same thing.
2018-1-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cd_207 Posted at 2018-1-31 18:48
I have the SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB in the drone. I have another in my dslr and tried that but it does the same thing.

Have you formatted the SD card in the drone?
2018-1-31
Use props
cd_207
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-31 20:11
Have you formatted the SD card in the drone?

I did format the memory card and when I tried a different memory card I formatted that one too. Running out of ideas on what the issue could be. I took it into a drone repair shop and they couldn't figure it out. I'm wondering if the camera is bad and if swapping it would fix the issue.
2018-1-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cd_207 Posted at 2018-1-31 20:32
I did format the memory card and when I tried a different memory card I formatted that one too. Running out of ideas on what the issue could be. I took it into a drone repair shop and they couldn't figure it out. I'm wondering if the camera is bad and if swapping it would fix the issue.

No, I don't think the camera is bad. The clue is to watch the 'wait a moment' animated ring around the shutter button. It is indicating that some processing is going on after the shutter button was pressed. Normally that delay is the system writing to the SD card. When you say you formatted that card, the important thing is whether you performed that format in the aircraft, rather than a computer. Also, are you shooting RAW or RAW plus JPEG? If you are, they take a long while to write, try switching to plain old JPEG and see if the problem goes away.
2018-1-31
Use props
cd_207
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-31 21:24
No, I don't think the camera is bad. The clue is to watch the 'wait a moment' animated ring around the shutter button. It is indicating that some processing is going on after the shutter button was pressed.

That's a good point. I sent DJI a message to their support team so I hope they have some ideas on this so I don't have to buy a new one. My only other guess is there could be something wrong with the centerboard.
2018-1-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cd_207 Posted at 2018-1-31 21:29
That's a good point. I sent DJI a message to their support team so I hope they have some ideas on this so I don't have to buy a new one. My only other guess is there could be something wrong with the centerboard.

You are far more likely to get useful help on here than through the DJI Support team. Even the moderators on here are much more help than support are. But perhaps you could answer my questions?

And no, it is not the main board, all camera functions are controlled by a processor in the gimbal section.

2018-1-31
Use props
cd_207
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-31 21:42
You are far more likely to get useful help on here than through the DJI Support team. Even the moderators on here are much more help than support are. But perhaps you could answer my questions?

And no, it is not the main board, all camera functions are controlled by a processor in the gimbal section.

Sorry about not answering your question. I didn't see it until just now. My email only showed the first part of your response.

The memory card was formatted using the DJI GO app with the card inside the aircraft.
I tried shooting RAW, RAW + JPEG, and jPEG. Nothing happens and when I press the play icon to view my photos on the DJI GO app, it says Empty SD Card.
2018-1-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cd_207 Posted at 2018-1-31 21:53
Sorry about not answering your question. I didn't see it until just now. My email only showed the first part of your response.

The memory card was formatted using the DJI GO app with the card inside the aircraft.

Ah, that's interesting. Have you looked at the SD card to see if anything is on it? Pop it out of the aircraft, place it in an adapter, and connect it to your computer.
2018-1-31
Use props
cd_207
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-31 22:04
Ah, that's interesting. Have you looked at the SD card to see if anything is on it? Pop it out of the aircraft, place it in an adapter, and connect it to your computer.

I just popped out the micro sd, put it in an adapter for my Canon 6D, took a few photos to make sure it was writing on the card and they showed up just fine.
Here is another video I just uploaded showing me trying to format the card and change the image formats.

2018-1-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cd_207 Posted at 2018-1-31 22:15
I just popped out the micro sd, put it in an adapter for my Canon 6D, took a few photos to make sure it was writing on the card and they showed up just fine.
Here is another video I just uploaded showing me trying to format the card and change the image formats.

I am not sure if I read you correctly on this, but are you saying you shot photos with your 6D on the same card? If so, that is a no-no, the card should not be used in another camera once it is formatted for the Phantom. Try formatting the card in the aircraft using the DJI app, then take a couple of shots, pop the card out, put it in a computer and look to see if there are any photos on the card.
Don't let the card go anywhere near the 6D or any other camera, they have completely different folder structures to the Phantom, and some cameras will automatically alter the folder structure as soon as they spot a card that has been inserted that does not have 'their' structure. This may be confusing the system in the aircraft.
2018-1-31
Use props
cd_207
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-31 22:33
I am not sure if I read you correctly on this, but are you saying you shot photos with your 6D on the same card? If so, that is a no-no, the card should not be used in another camera once it is formatted for the Phantom. Try formatting the card in the aircraft using the DJI app, then take a couple of shots, pop the card out, put it in a computer and look to see if there are any photos on the card.

Oh, I had no idea that was bad.
Before I took photos on the 6D, I did format it using Canon's format in the settings and then took a few test shots. The memory card doesn't show anything on the computer. So something is blocking the Phantom from writing to the card. I could buy a new card tomorrow and see if that does anything.
2018-1-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cd_207 Posted at 2018-1-31 22:38
Oh, I had no idea that was bad.
Before I took photos on the 6D, I did format it using Canon's format in the settings and then took a few test shots. The memory card doesn't show anything on the computer. So something is blocking the Phantom from writing to the card. I could buy a new card tomorrow and see if that does anything.

Try the sequence in my post #12, the bit in blue. Then see if it is showing any files. I suspect your card is OK.
2018-1-31
Use props
cd_207
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-31 22:41
Try the sequence in my post #12, the bit in blue. Then see if it is showing any files. I suspect your card is OK.

Alright, Just did that and the card is showing an empty folder when I put it into my computer
2018-1-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cd_207 Posted at 2018-1-31 22:51
Alright, Just did that and the card is showing an empty folder when I put it into my computer

OK, so now we are getting somewhere. Do you have the card that came with the aircraft? You could try that and see if it works.

The other possibility is that the card you have is counterfeit or simply not fast enough. It may be fine for your Canon, but the Phantom makes pretty heavy demands on the card. Also, Sandisk seem to make slower cards that end with 'Plus' for some reason. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro cards and they give me no trouble at all. As to counterfeit cards, the rogues out there seem to make bogus cards and brand them Sandisk, so it is important to buy them from reputable dealers.
2018-1-31
Use props
cd_207
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-31 22:57
OK, so now we are getting somewhere. Do you have the card that came with the aircraft? You could try that and see if it works.

The other possibility is that the card you have is counterfeit or simply not fast enough. It may be fine for your Canon, but the Phantom makes pretty heavy demands on the card. Also, Sandisk seem to make slower cards that end with 'Plus' for some reason. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro cards and they give me no trouble at all. As to counterfeit cards, the rogues out there seem to make bogus cards and brand them Sandisk, so it is important to buy them from reputable dealers.

I pre ordered the Phantom 3 Pro when it first came out just under 3 years ago and had the SanDisk Extreme Plus MicroSD card in it from the beginning. I bought the memory card from Best Buy so I don't think it would be counterfeit. I do still have the original 16GB card it came with and I did try that one again but it did the same thing. I've shot 1080p at 60 fps and 4K at 30fps for the past few years on the drone using the SanDisk without any problems on the Phantom.

I feel like it would be a firmware thing but with having the latest firmware and taking it to a drone shop, everything came back good. I have been using my iPhone 7 and iPad Pro 10.5 which shouldn't be a problem but I could always try another device.

2018-1-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cd_207 Posted at 2018-1-31 23:44
I pre ordered the Phantom 3 Pro when it first came out just under 3 years ago and had the SanDisk Extreme Plus MicroSD card in it from the beginning. I bought the memory card from Best Buy so I don't think it would be counterfeit. I do still have the original 16GB card it came with and I did try that one again but it did the same thing. I've shot 1080p at 60 fps and 4K at 30fps for the past few years on the drone using the SanDisk without any problems on the Phantom.

I feel like it would be a firmware thing but with having the latest firmware and taking it to a drone shop, everything came back good. I have been using my iPhone 7 and iPad Pro 10.5 which shouldn't be a problem but I could always try another device.

The problem will not have anything to do with the iPhone or iPad, it is completely within the gimbal unit. It would be worthwhile refreshing the firmware, one of the updates may have caused a problem. But at worst you might have to buy a new gimbal & camera assembly, but they are not all that expensive.
2018-2-1
Use props
stuartmac
lvl.2

Canada

did you ever fix this ,  mine is doing the same thing
2021-2-27
Use props
fans0627ff73
New

United States

stuartmac Posted at 2-27 06:28
did you ever fix this ,  mine is doing the same thing

Hey there,

I sent it in to DJI for repair. I don't remember exactly what was fixed since it's been a few years, but attached is my receipt from DJI.
I believe it was something with the motherboard or a faulty connection. $209 to fix the problem.

Drone Repair.jpg
2021-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules