IOS better than android, why?
9855 19 2018-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jasiak Radoslaw
lvl.2

Poland

what makes drones work better with ios than android?
2018-2-1
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

With iOS there is one and only one iOS. With android every manufaturers version is slightly different. It works differently on every phone so it is harder for the developers to keep up with it. I was a huge android guy and switched to an iPhone a few months back because of the dji app issues. I have only had one instance of the app crashing since then and that was when there was an iOS update.
2018-2-1
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

jreynolds5 Posted at 2018-2-1 03:59
With iOS there is one and only one iOS. With android every manufaturers version is slightly different. It works differently on every phone so it is harder for the developers to keep up with it. I was a huge android guy and switched to an iPhone a few months back because of the dji app issues. I have only had one instance of the app crashing since then and that was when there was an iOS update.

Agree. But with that said, there are lots of good Android phones that handle the Go 4 app fine without problems. I just think it should be mentioned too.
2018-2-1
Use props
Jasiak Radoslaw
lvl.2

Poland

FlyDK Posted at 2018-2-1 04:14
Agree. But with that said, there are lots of good Android phones that handle the Go 4 app fine without problems. I just think it should be mentioned too.

what do you mean? what phones? with a clean android?
2018-2-1
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Jasiak Radoslaw Posted at 2018-2-1 04:32
what do you mean? what phones? with a clean android?

I meant exactly what I wrote. There are many Android phones to choose from and you can just take a look around in this forum. Personally, I use a Huawei P10 Lite and have no problems at all.
2018-2-1
Use props
Marty Markoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

jreynolds5 Posted at 2018-2-1 03:59
With iOS there is one and only one iOS. With android every manufaturers version is slightly different. It works differently on every phone so it is harder for the developers to keep up with it. I was a huge android guy and switched to an iPhone a few months back because of the dji app issues. I have only had one instance of the app crashing since then and that was when there was an iOS update.

I've been using a Samsung S6 for over a year and have not had any problems, even after doing every update.
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI have a VERY close business partnership with Apple to the extent that the GO 4 app is optimised for the iPhone 7 +. On top of that refer to post number 2 as thats another good reason. That said, yes, there are some Android devices that work well - DJI's own CrystalSky and Phantom 4 Pro + inbuilt screens are in fact Android but overall, IOS performs much better. I too have only ever experienced one-day (early Nov last year) where my app crashed continuously on my iPhone 7+ but after upgrading to IOS 11.2 it was perfect again. That was the only time and I've been regularly flying drones using IOS devices since Aug 2016.
2018-2-1
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

The crazy thing is that even though the CrystalSky is one device running what should be a straight forward version of Android, given its DJIs device, they still lag behind everything else updates-wise. It’s not even compatible with the Air yet.
2018-2-1
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

The only gripes I have w/ my androids is that the RC is charging the device.
Nevertheless, I can fly 4.5 batteries before the RC die w/c is acceptable to me.
I have a Ipad mini 4 but it's a pain to mount it on a holder every time.
I can directly mount it on the RC but, the hand position is awkward and Sport mode is not easily accessible .JMOHO
2018-2-1
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

i've used the go app on around 10 different android devices since the P3P was first released.  rarely have a problem with the app, most problems are with the drone firmware.

2018-2-1
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m not a fanboy but I have used both, many different devices and software versions and I can tell you the reason why android doesn’t work as well as iOS is because android sucks......
2018-2-1
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Denmark

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-2-1 05:39
I’m not a fanboy but I have used both, many different devices and software versions and I can tell you the reason why android doesn’t work as well as iOS is because android sucks......

Well, reading your statement I think you are a "fanboy". Opinions about whether one or the other system is best will always vary from person to person. It has always been like that and it will continue to be.

Personally, I think Apple products are far too expensive compared to so many other branded products. Therefore, I have to deal with a phone with only a "miserable" system - which nevertheless works seamlessly.
2018-2-1
Use props
Mohinder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 920489 ft
Belgium

I'm using Ipad Mini 4 because i don't want using my mobile phone.  Anyway my HTC 10 works perfectly with DJI go 4.
Moge polecic zdecydowanie HTC 10 natomiast nie moge polecic Samsunga Note 3, ktory jest na liscie DJI jako rekomendowane urzadzenie. Kupilem go ale niestety nie sprawdzala sie.
2018-2-7
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

I love these discussions.  I use Android.  Samsung Note 5, not even on the approved list, running Android 7.0 and the only problems I've had has been from a bad USB cable causing video drop out or when I looked over a buddy's shoulder while he was flying HIS Mavic.  This was one of the reasons that I chose the Mavic because they supported Android.  My IPhone that I had years ago was a disaster from the lack of support from apple.  (no, I will not get into a discussion of Apple V Android.  I've made my choice and I'm happy with it.)  

But I've seen just as many complaints about IOS Failures as I have about Android failures.  But I still see people proclaiming that IOS will not fail.  ANYTHING will fail.  

Android is NOT better than Apple nor is Apple better than Android.  Both have their problems.  Sometimes its the operating system, sometimes it the phone and sometimes (amazingly) it's the operator.   
2018-2-7
Use props
lot.wendigo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1638481 ft
Canada

FlyDK Posted at 2018-2-1 04:14

Absolutely. The issue is not the variance of Android phones, but the development of the app by DJI.
Android App development isn't quite as hard as it's made out to be.
2018-2-7
Use props
juliarushing
New

Ukraine

I can say that recently I started to use IOS coz I can play my fav online games When I used Android it was really awful times coz I can't even download games from play market or play them at Facebook! So today I choose only iPhone with IOS
2018-7-12
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I did a Poll not to long ago.. some good info and points within.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=149440
2018-7-12
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

One problem for Android is too many cheap devices from different brands. It’s easy to get in to trouble if not using main brand product. For iOS there is no cheap device.
2018-7-12
Use props
Shanon
New

Sri Lanka

iOS app is very smooth.
2019-8-31
Use props
zappy54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 446900 ft
United Kingdom