1462 3 2018-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tweak88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 176096 ft
United States

Hello everyone,

In April I will be traveling to Buffalo for the 1st time and was planning on taking the Mavic with me. that being said I have seen many videos with video from niagara falls but am getting mixed answers on the laws and limits of flying near/over the falls both on the US and Canadian side. Anyone have any knowledge or expirence with flying in this area?

Also will be staying in the Buffalo area so any must see spots anyone can think of for drove footage would be much appreciated. I live in Oklahoma so anything that isn't flat plains is going to be exciting to me. Never been east past Arkansas before in my life.
2018-2-1
Use props
Tweak88
lvl.4
United States

UPDATE:: I was able to speak with someone from the New York parks office regarding flying over the falls (illegal unless you want to buy all of the required permits which add up well over $1,000) and also flying over the american falls which are outside of the restricted zone and she had this to day:::

"Hello-

Thanks for writing.  The American Falls are included (not sure why that does not show that) and drones are prohibited in the airspace above all the Falls.

We have tried to get permission for our own use and we cannot. It would no doubt be beautiful footage.

Thanks for checking in.

Angela"

2018-2-9
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m guessing a majority of the people who get video of the falls, park in the lot on Goat Island and launch from there but have no idea of the rules and prohibitions. (Or maybe they do and that’s why they’re there) I’ve been there several times and thought how easy it would be to fly from there. It’s central to all the sights. It’s wooded all around. It’s not a place Rangers frequent, as they’re mostly along the paths leading to and around the viewing areas. The sound of the water would most certainly mask the sound of a drone, so as not to draw attention.

But here’s a little inside information. Cross over into Canada. Travel north along the river and there’s a cable car across the whirlpool. Halfway around the whirlpool between the two points where the cable car lands, there’s a path through the woods from the paved foot path down to the water’s edge. From there you’ll find a nice place you can launch from to fly all around the whirlpool. It’s  great place to catch aerial views of the jet boats that run up the rapids. It’ll be one heck of an pano too!

Jeff
2018-2-13
Use props
Tweak88
lvl.4
United States

Jeff I appreciate the information very interesting for sure! Of course I will be respecting the rules and regulations and just try to enjoy the views I am provided.
2018-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules