Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans235136e0
New
Flight distance : 3159 ft
United States

hello!

I could use a little help!
I have a DJI inspire one and I am hearing all kinds of different ways to put the batteries on storage?
I have them in the house in a room that is heated and airconditioned year around. Some times I need to leave them unused for a month at a time.
Should I keep them at full charge or at 50% charge when not using for 30 days?
Captian Don Bigham
Search and Rescue Unit SSBA

2018-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

As a good practice with high energy Li-Po batteries it is best to store the battery at %50-60 for extended periods.
History has shown that storing Li-Po batteries with high levels of energy can shorten the lifespan and normal wear and tear of these units.  Be sure to check them every month while they remain out of service and top them off to %50-60 as needed. The DJI Intelligent battery circuit (onboard battery management circuit)  can auto discharge the battery causing them to drop the cell voltage below the threshold of 3.3v per cell. This can make the battery unusable or will not take a charge again.

Of course you will get many answers on this subject and you might need to choose the direction that you wish to take.  

Rich

2018-2-1
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

Rich's advice is sound - only other suggestions I would make is to manually check the charge level (quick press of the button) every 2-3 weeks to ensure that the self-discharge function mentioned previously hasn't dragged the charge level too low. This will also re-set the self-discharge function counter.

Would also suggest that when you do prepare to fly after a longer term of storage that you fully charge them and monitor battery voltage (not just %-age) in the app during the flight.
The battery firmware is much improved now, but after having a couple of near-catastrophic events due to inaccurate charge reporting in prior versions I'm super-cautious in this area!

2018-2-1
Use props
fans235136e0
New
United States

Rich, Thank you. This is about what i understood. I appreciate the reply.
2018-2-1
Use props
fans235136e0
New
United States

53- Thanks for your input.  I will check wkeekly as they are right here in my office ---Cap.
2018-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans235136e0 Posted at 2018-2-1 19:55
Rich, Thank you. This is about what i understood. I appreciate the reply.

You are most welcome. ....
Agree with Farnk666  make sure you always charge your battery up until the LED's go out (100%) before flying. Check them during operation in first several minutes before going to far. Some folks look at the battery percentage only and can see a sudden voltage drop soon after.

If you are interested, check out this thread and watch my video on post #55

https://forum.dji.com/thread-109258-2-1.html

Rich
2018-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

This was a very old video showing the voltage / battery % drop on the TB 47 battery. I conducted some testing 2 years ago with 3 batterys after letting them set for 3 weeks, then trying to use them without charging. each of them was indicating 80% + on the GO App
Rich
2018-2-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. Here are some tips for storage battery:
1. Do not leave the battery near heat sources such as a furnace or heater. Do not leave the batteries inside of the vehicle on hot days. The ideal storage temperature is 22℃-28℃.
2. Keep the battery dry. Never drop the battery into water.
3. Do not drop, strike, impale, or manually short-circuit the battery.
4. Discharge the battery to 30%-50% of the battery level if it will not be used for 7 days or more. This can greatly extend the battery life.Battery discharges automatically to below 65% when it is idle for more than 10 days to prevent the battery from swelling. It takes around 2 days to discharge the battery to 65%, It is normal that you may feel moderate heat emits from the battery during the discharge process. Set the discharging thresholds in the DJI Go app.
Thanks for your support.
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules