Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Newbie Questions
1697 16 2018-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Goin2drt 9
lvl.1
United States

Ok I am a TOTAL NEWBIE to drones and DJI.  I just got my Air and I have a few basic questions that I can't seem to find answers for.

1. Trying to download DJI Assistant 2 to my Mac Book Pro running High Sierra 10.13.3 and it will not work. Anyone else with this issue.
2. What software is there to download the videos, edit etc?  Anything from DJI?  I am used to for example using Gopro software to edit my gopro video but didn't see anything for DJI.
3. I did do the app and did update the RC and Air firmware.  My quick start guide tells me to also update the firmware in battery charging hub but again the DJI assistant is a no go.

Sorry for the dumb question but the packaging for the new Air is not the best for a total newbie.
2018-2-1
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

1. Not sure of your issue with Assistant 2. Could you provide more info?  What do you mean when you say will not work?
2. DJI has an editor within the DJI go 4 app. I don't believe they have a desktop version like GoPro does.
3. When you do an update through the app on your phone/tablet, it will update the RC, drone and the battery that is inserted. When you insert a new battery, the app will tell you there is a firmware difference between drone and battery and it will prompt you to update the battery. I've never updated my charging hub. Maybe this is an update to the Mavic Air?

Hope this helps.
2018-2-1
Use props
Goin2drt 9
lvl.1
United States

1.  Attached is the pic.  It goes through the process and even says successful.  Then I go into "applications" and there is nothing there.  I tried plugging in the RC to see if that would start the application, no.
2.  Thanks for that I did download that and will play around with it once I fly the first time.
3. Thanks on this as well looks like I did what I was supposed to.
2018-2-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, where did you download the DJI Assistant 2? I suggest restarting the Mac and reinstalling the app from the official web.
For the recommended video and editing software, DJI Editor on DJI GO 4 app might do the editing job, but if it comes to the PC version, there are many professional softwares in the market, I think you can choose one and see if other users have some recommended.
For batteries updating, like Brian88 mentioned above, you can update or refresh the firmware on the DJI GO 4 app or DJI Assistant 2 along with the drone. And there might be the firmware updating for the Battery Hub itself, but it has not been released, so you don't need to update the hub at the moment. Hope it helps.
2018-2-1
Use props
StevieJSmall
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249846 ft
United States

1. Trying to download DJI Assistant 2 to my Mac Book Pro running High Sierra 10.13.3 and it will not work. Anyone else with this issue. I've had trouble with DJI Assistant software on my Mac's since I purchased my Phantom 4 a couple years ago. Your better bet is to use the DJI GO 4 App on your iOS or Android device to complete Firmware Updates. If you have to or prefer to use DJI Assistant, you may need to contact DJI Support and they might be able to troubleshoot you but it can be frustrating regardless.
2. What software is there to download the videos, edit etc?  Anything from DJI?  I am used to for example using Gopro software to edit my gopro video but didn't see anything for DJI. Since you have a MacBook, I would use iMovie software that comes preloaded on it. It'll afford you basic opportunities to import files, edit it and export it for viewing. If you wanted to do nothing but download the files from Mavic Air to your MacBook and then post the files directly to YouTube, etc, then you can just transfer the files to MacBook directly (either by plugging MicroSD card into an SD Card adapter and plugging into MacBook, or just plugging Air directly into MacBook using USB connections) and then post the files to your platform of choice.
3. I did do the app and did update the RC and Air firmware.  My quick start guide tells me to also update the firmware in battery charging hub but again the DJI assistant is a no go.I saw that too when I read the quick start guide earlier this evening regarding the Battery charging hub. If DJI Assistant is the only way to check and update firmware on that, then that might be challenging given my comments to your first point. I honestly wouldn't expect them to deliver that many firmware updates to the hub, if any. That's an interesting one for sure.

Don't be sorry for asking questions, they're not dumb and congrats on your purchase and happy flying!
2018-2-1
Use props
Goin2drt 9
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-1 19:54
Hi there, where did you download the DJI Assistant 2? I suggest restarting the Mac and reinstalling the app from the official web.
For the recommended video and editing software, DJI Editor on DJI GO 4 app might do the editing job, but if it comes to the PC version, there are many professional softwares in the market, I think you can choose one and see if other users have some recommended.
For batteries updating, like Brian88 mentioned above, you can update or refresh the firmware on the DJI GO 4 app or DJI Assistant 2 along with the drone. And there might be the firmware updating for the Battery Hub itself, but it has not been released, so you don't need to update the hub at the moment. Hope it helps.

Tried it again.  No luck.  when calling DJI support the tech just told me it was my Mac's problem.  Oh well.  It is a brand new MacBook Pro so I guess it will just not work.  I was wanting the DJI Assistant to do all the calibrations things that were recommended in the DJI video prior to first flight but I guess not.

Thanks all for the help.  Maiden voyage tomorrow.
2018-2-2
Use props
fans471d8963
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17618 ft
United States

What app name are you looking for? It installed "Assistant" for me, nothing about "DJI" in the title.
2018-2-2
Use props
travoose42
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130315 ft
United States

You've got to go into the Applications folder and look for an app called, "Assistant"...it doesn't say DJI Assistant nor does the icon look anything related to DJI.  

Also, I use iMovie (free download from the Mac App Store) to edit my video on my computer.  I also use iMovie on my iPhone (free download from the iOS store) to edit the video on my phone.  I bought a memory card reader that connect to my phones lightning port, that way I can shoot video, take out the memory card from the drone and plug it directly into my phone and it imports the video into my camera roll on the phone, then I just go from there into iMovie and access the video I want to use.

As far as pre-flight calibration, I was in the same boat as you, thinking I needed to calibrate things with the Assistant...because I watched the DJI tutorials...however, upon asking others, they recommended only calibrating the compass pre-flight and waiting till the other sensors requested a calibration, because they are calibrated at the factory.
2018-2-2
Use props
Goin2drt 9
lvl.1
United States

Crap I feel stupid.  There it is.  No DJI in the title, no DJI logo, I totally missed it.  Thanks guys so much.
2018-2-2
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Goin2drt 9 Posted at 2018-2-2 11:46
Crap I feel stupid.  There it is.  No DJI in the title, no DJI logo, I totally missed it.  Thanks guys so much.

Don't be too hard on yourself, we've all done stupid things.
2018-2-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Get use to it, lots of to learn
2018-2-2
Use props
Goin2drt 9
lvl.1
United States

One more question before my maiden voyage.  I will use the beginner tutorial test flight first, no brainer for me.  

Question - as I was reading the manual about return to home to land.  Question is say I start at point a for the flight.  Then I use the follow function and the drone starts to follow me and I end up at point b say 1/2 mile away, when I hit RTH to land does it land right by me at point b or go all the way back to point a?  Am I making sense.
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Goin2drt 9 Posted at 2018-2-2 14:13
One more question before my maiden voyage.  I will use the beginner tutorial test flight first, no brainer for me.  

Question - as I was reading the manual about return to home to land.  Question is say I start at point a for the flight.  Then I use the follow function and the drone starts to follow me and I end up at point b say 1/2 mile away, when I hit RTH to land does it land right by me at point b or go all the way back to point a?  Am I making sense.

As we have been informed it will go to point "a" for the time being because "Dynamic Home Point" has not yet been released for the Air: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D534%26typeid%3D534
2018-2-2
Use props
dronesglobe
New

India

Hello

I think this is something that you should consult with the experts. I have also such issues with my drones, then I consult with drones experts and they help me to get rid of this. here is the URL of their website http://www.drones-globe.com Hope you will also get solutions for your problems. Good Luck
2018-2-2
Use props
Mr Ed
lvl.4
United States

My unit (Mavic air) wont power up I press the battery button as stated in the instructions then hold the button on the back no beeps no nothing
2018-2-2
Use props
Mr Ed
lvl.4
United States

Never mind Figured it out.
The directions that come with these units could be more concise in certain areas.
2018-2-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Not unusual.  I have installed a few programs that ended up with names and icons that were not at all related to company or application.

One thing you can try in future is to go to Applications folder, and click on List files at top of Folder pane.  Then sort on Date modified.  Click on Date modified column to where newest is at top.
2018-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules