Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone will not hover in flight mode, shakes violently
2032 20 2018-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Grouseburner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 450466 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Recently found out that the drone will not hover in flight mode. Shakes violently and only hovers when in Landing mode. What recourse do I have? I tried everything. recalibrating IMU, VPS, updated firmware etc.  Need to know if there is anything I could try besides sending it in to DJI, Thank you

2018-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

1 Are all the motors turning smoothly by hand?  bearing noise etc?
2 Are the Prop Hubs secured tightly?
3 Do you have another new set of props to try?
4 Are the props rotating the correct direction?  Red vs White
5 Has your Inspire ever been crashed?
6 Are the arms tight at the swing joint?
7 Are the props in alignment from side to side or front to back?

Read post 32
https://forum.dji.com/thread-117998-1-1.html

Rich
2018-2-1
Use props
Grouseburner
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-2-1 21:56
1 Are all the motors turning smoothly by hand?  bearing noise etc?
2 Are the Prop Hubs secured tightly?
3 Do you have another new set of props to try?

I tried the new props, same problem. Motors are solid with no bearing issues or alignment issues. I noticed that there was a bit of play in the prop mounts so I used crazy glue and a nail file to add a spacer. they are all tight without any play at all. The arms are not exactly solid, they have about a second of play each way, this amount of play seems normal as my first gen Inspire 1 has more play than this and has hovered rock solid since late 2014.   I'm inclined to think its something to do with the obstacle avoidance system, as when the landing gear is down OA is disabled and flies perfectly. Thinking of this I disabled OA in the app everywhere I could find a switch. Still not making a difference.  The thing has never crashed and worked perfectly the last time I used it.  
2018-2-2
Use props
Electro-Nick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

The downward vision sensors are still used to gauge height above ground when flying/hovering under 33ft... the barometer isn't accurate enough at low level.

You could try hooking your I2 up to your computer and calibrating the vision system to see if that helps in any way. You'll need the white USB cable and the white dotty calibration chart that came with your I2, and you'll need to download and install a copy of Assistant 2 software from Dji. Follow the instructions in the I2 manual to recalibrate the vps.

Other than that,, check the sensor readouts and see if they've got low values and are displaying in the green section of the bar - may need a recal too.
2018-2-2
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

I had a similar issue. There's quite a few posts on shaking I2's. My fix was to rollback firmware as far as possible and reinstall one version at a time. I believe what was causing my I2 to shake was related to the forward sensors. My I2 would shake when they were activated, which is triggered by the landing gear going up.  Gear down the problem would not occur.
2018-2-2
Use props
Grouseburner
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Electro-Nick Posted at 2018-2-2 01:44
The downward vision sensors are still used to gauge height above ground when flying/hovering under 33ft... the barometer isn't accurate enough at low level.

You could try hooking your I2 up to your computer and calibrating the vision system to see if that helps in any way. You'll need the white USB cable and the white dotty calibration chart that came with your I2, and you'll need to download and install a copy of Assistant 2 software from Dji. Follow the instructions in the I2 manual to recalibrate the vps.

I tried the vps recalibration a few times, however I haven't checked the readouts, is that in the IMU section of the app?
2018-2-2
Use props
Grouseburner
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2018-2-2 02:07
I had a similar issue. There's quite a few posts on shaking I2's. My fix was to rollback firmware as far as possible and reinstall one version at a time. I believe what was causing my I2 to shake was related to the forward sensors. My I2 would shake when they were activated, which is triggered by the landing gear going up.  Gear down the problem would not occur.

Great! I'll try that, I am on the latest firmware, did you factory reset before rolling back?  I started on .0330 and jumped straight to .0300 furthest they let you go now is .0100  I have a feeling it is something to do with the forward sensors. wish I could just remove them
2018-2-2
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

Grouseburner Posted at 2018-2-2 10:47
Great! I'll try that, I am on the latest firmware, did you factory reset before rolling back?  I started on .0330 and jumped straight to .0300 furthest they let you go now is .0100  I have a feeling it is something to do with the forward sensors. wish I could just remove them

Yes I did a factory reset then reinstalled firmware updates one version at a time. Then, recalibrated the IMU.
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Grouseburner Posted at 2018-2-2 10:47
Great! I'll try that, I am on the latest firmware, did you factory reset before rolling back?  I started on .0330 and jumped straight to .0300 furthest they let you go now is .0100  I have a feeling it is something to do with the forward sensors. wish I could just remove them

Sir, please tell me the model of your drone. I would recommend you fly in a place without wind. Or you can provide a video about the situation for further analysis. Thanks a lot.
2018-2-2
Use props
Electro-Nick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

Grouseburner Posted at 2018-2-2 10:42
I tried the vps recalibration a few times, however I haven't checked the readouts, is that in the IMU section of the app?

Yep. Check that the numbers are low , and that the bars on the graph are green. It's ok if the values aren't steady, but if they're hitting the yellow or red section on the graph then I'd recal the IMU.

id probably also go and use the menus to reset all the exp etc values to default, nothing much to loose by trying at this point

what changed/happened on the aircraft in the few flights before it started occurring?
2018-2-3
Use props
Grouseburner
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-2 20:21
Sir, please tell me the model of your drone. I would recommend you fly in a place without wind. Or you can provide a video about the situation for further analysis. Thanks a lot.

Hi Electra, I tried the drone in -36 celcius, did the imu calibration after the Inspire 2 got cold soaked, used an Android Samsung Galaxy s7, (before I used an Ipad), put in warm batteries fired it up hovered for 5 mins in landing gear down mode, switched to atti and set the landing gear up, (no vps, no obstacle avoidance manual landing gear switch)  hovered for 5 mins super stable no pulsating motors, switched to gps mode at 25feet waited to see what happened and it was rock solid.  So I think the major difference since last time was the imu calibration in -30 coupled with a switch to Android running the latest dji go 4 app.  Everything seems hunkydory now. except for the grease on the landing gear screw freezing and it wouldn't go back to landing mode.  had to hand catch it.  Thinking of removing as much grease as I can on the screw and using dry lube Remington gun spray.
2018-2-4
Use props
Grouseburner
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Electro-Nick Posted at 2018-2-3 01:30
Yep. Check that the numbers are low , and that the bars on the graph are green. It's ok if the values aren't steady, but if they're hitting the yellow or red section on the graph then I'd recal the IMU.

id probably also go and use the menus to reset all the exp etc values to default, nothing much to loose by trying at this point

basically the only thing that changed was the temperature when the problem occured, but I think its solved! switched to Android and did the imu calibration while it was cold (-36 today).  Flied super stable like it were new. I'm done with IOS. lol
2018-2-4
Use props
Willow Creative
lvl.1
Canada

Grouseburner Posted at 2018-2-4 12:29
basically the only thing that changed was the temperature when the problem occured, but I think its solved! switched to Android and did the imu calibration while it was cold (-36 today).  Flied super stable like it were new. I'm done with IOS. lol

I redid my firmware as far back as I could go and came back to the latest. Then I updated my Go 4 app to the latest(updated a few days a go) and updated my ipad mini 4 to 11.2.5. We had a weird fluctuation in weather yesterday that gave us one day 0 degrees celcius. I went flying. She flew rock solid, no shuddering, but I though I heard a strange sound(high pitched whine which reminded me of sonar) from what seemed like the front CCW motor but could have been a sensor(?), brought it down, spun it and everything seemed smooth as butter, maybe I was hearing the VPS system. Though the sonar is on the bottom or is it in the front as well?

So anyway, today we are having -18 celcius weather! I will fly this evening and see if it's the temperature or if the firmware/app/ios update fixed it. No IMU calibration has been done since updating the firmware. IMU numbers were sitting at around .008, which seems a bit high. I will calibrate tonight even if she flies solid.
2018-2-15
Use props
Willow Creative
lvl.1
Canada

Willow Creative Posted at 2018-2-15 08:00
I redid my firmware as far back as I could go and came back to the latest. Then I updated my Go 4 app to the latest(updated a few days a go) and updated my ipad mini 4 to 11.2.5. We had a weird fluctuation in weather yesterday that gave us one day 0 degrees celcius. I went flying. She flew rock solid, no shuddering, but I though I heard a strange sound(high pitched whine which reminded me of sonar) from what seemed like the front CCW motor but could have been a sensor(?), brought it down, spun it and everything seemed smooth as butter, maybe I was hearing the VPS system. Though the sonar is on the bottom or is it in the front as well?

So anyway, today we are having -18 celcius weather! I will fly this evening and see if it's the temperature or if the firmware/app/ios update fixed it. No IMU calibration has been done since updating the firmware. IMU numbers were sitting at around .008, which seems a bit high. I will calibrate tonight even if she flies solid.

To continue on, I am by no means an expert, but I am learning...

One thing I have been reading a lot about as well is the Pitch Gain and gain in general.

It seems as the temperature drops the air becomes thinner(naturally) and as this happens all of a sudden the Inspire 2 thinks it has the incorrect blades because the air is thin but it knows you're at a low altitude thanks to GPS. So it warns about incorrect blades and then we have to start dealing with Gains! From what I have been reading, this is something that anyone building their own quadcopter has to deal with and figure out for rock solid stability. So what I have been reading is that if you start shuddering uncontrollably it is possibly a gains issue and to correct it, you need to change your "Pitch and roll gain" to approximately 90%. This will soften control but it will/should help correct the cold weather issue. If you're still shuddering a but, start dropping the numbers, I read someone dropped to 87% and found stability.

I hope this helps someone including myself. I really want everyone to be loving their Inspire 2 no matter what the weather conditions!!
2018-2-15
Use props
Willow Creative
lvl.1
Canada

Changing gains didn't work. -20 celcius with a high wind and it shudders and shakes. Chilling the drone right now, then going to do a IMU calibration. I have a job with the drone tomorrow, leaving tonight. So unacceptable... I feel like giving up on flying drones. Thanks dji for never helping your clients... Thanks.
2018-2-16
Use props
Willow Creative
lvl.1
Canada

So I chilled the inspire 2 for 1 hour and did an IMU calibration and compass calibration. First it didn't help, then I adjust all my basic gains to 90 percent, huge improvement, then 87, which was better then 85. Seems solid now. Put vertical  gain back to 100 which was ok, no shaking. I then tried pitch at 90 and 100 and the shakes came back. So I dropped pitch back to 87 and it was fine. The answer seems to play with your gains after a cold IMU calibration. Cold as in -20! I am crossing my fingers that I found the answer. I ran a whole set of batteries just fine.
2018-2-16
Use props
Grouseburner
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Willow Creative Posted at 2018-2-16 08:29
So I chilled the inspire 2 for 1 hour and did an IMU calibration and compass calibration. First it didn't help, then I adjust all my basic gains to 90 percent, huge improvement, then 87, which was better then 85. Seems solid now. Put vertical  gain back to 100 which was ok, no shaking. I then tried pitch at 90 and 100 and the shakes came back. So I dropped pitch back to 87 and it was fine. The answer seems to play with your gains after a cold IMU calibration. Cold as in -20! I am crossing my fingers that I found the answer. I ran a whole set of batteries just fine.

I didn't have to change the gains, I noticed it was alot more stable in Atti Mode, like when it started to shake (when I booted it up while it was warm) I would switch to atti and magically it would quit shaking. I turned every damn sensor off, vps, obstacle, upward obstacle landing check, auto landing gear etc.  I did a job recently in -30 Celcius, it worked like a champ, but I noticed it was unstable in GPS mode, so I used Atti as much as possible, I kind of had to anyway was flying under a glacier.  Did you try using a different device? Such as an android tablet or phone?  When I first got it to quit shaking I was using a Samsung S7 which I'm not 100% certain it was the fix, but maybe the android app was better at telling the bird to chill out.
2018-2-16
Use props
Grouseburner
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Grouseburner Posted at 2018-2-16 08:46
I didn't have to change the gains, I noticed it was alot more stable in Atti Mode, like when it started to shake (when I booted it up while it was warm) I would switch to atti and magically it would quit shaking. I turned every damn sensor off, vps, obstacle, upward obstacle landing check, auto landing gear etc.  I did a job recently in -30 Celcius, it worked like a champ, but I noticed it was unstable in GPS mode, so I used Atti as much as possible, I kind of had to anyway was flying under a glacier.  Did you try using a different device? Such as an android tablet or phone?  When I first got it to quit shaking I was using a Samsung S7 which I'm not 100% certain it was the fix, but maybe the android app was better at telling the bird to chill out.

Oh and I did a firmware rollback one by one to the lowest firmware they allow you to go back to.  Starting with a factory reset (in DJI assistant, using a PC not a MAC). Then upgrading one by one to the latest. Following this I did the IMU, Gimbal, Sensor calibration with that rorschach board.  Putting it outside (it was -36 at the time) I allowed it to cool, leveled the case out with a spirit level, and made it do its IMU check.  Boom! it was solid again, even in GPS Mode. Super relieved.  At -36 the landing screw froze, well I would say the grease froze and jammed the screw in flight mode.  I had to hand catch it and it struggled to enter landing mode but it did.  (afterward I took it home thawed it out and removed as much grease as I could from the screw using a toothbrush and Isopropyl alcohol, then I lubed it up with Remington Teflon Dry Gun lubrication spray) (in -36 when you go hunting, you have to strip the gun of all the oil residue on the action, usually with gasoline in order for it to work. very similar with this landing screw)
2018-2-16
Use props
Grouseburner
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Grouseburner Posted at 2018-2-16 08:57
Oh and I did a firmware rollback one by one to the lowest firmware they allow you to go back to.  Starting with a factory reset (in DJI assistant, using a PC not a MAC). Then upgrading one by one to the latest. Following this I did the IMU, Gimbal, Sensor calibration with that rorschach board.  Putting it outside (it was -36 at the time) I allowed it to cool, leveled the case out with a spirit level, and made it do its IMU check.  Boom! it was solid again, even in GPS Mode. Super relieved.  At -36 the landing screw froze, well I would say the grease froze and jammed the screw in flight mode.  I had to hand catch it and it struggled to enter landing mode but it did.  (afterward I took it home thawed it out and removed as much grease as I could from the screw using a toothbrush and Isopropyl alcohol, then I lubed it up with Remington Teflon Dry Gun lubrication spray) (in -36 when you go hunting, you have to strip the gun of all the oil residue on the action, usually with gasoline in order for it to work. very similar with this landing screw)

one more thing about the screw, in order to access the threads one must turn off the autolock feature for the landing mode, and toggle the landing gear up and keep it there while you work on the screw. Be careful not to overspray, I avoided graphite lube as I fear it could enter the electronics with its conductive properties, may not be good. Teflon seemed like a good choice and it worked! landing gear up and down in -30 like it was summer.
2018-2-16
Use props
Grouseburner
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Willow Creative Posted at 2018-2-15 08:28
To continue on, I am by no means an expert, but I am learning...

One thing I have been reading a lot about as well is the Pitch Gain and gain in general.

Sorry to correct you, I get what you're saying but in the cold its the opposite, the air gets "thicker" or more dense, so it probably thinks its pushing high altitude props at low altitude.  I didn't get this issue but I know folk who were flying at -38 near the arctic ocean at sea level and were getting this warning. I'm up in the mountains so maybe the altitude cancels out the soupy air issue.  I never had this problem with the good ol Inspire 1,  flew it in every sort of cold weather you can think of, sea level, -48, high winds, snow. Always rock solid except at high lattitudes when the compass would totally whack out, had to fly Atti mode for 90% of the time. RTH definitely wouldn't have worked.  I'm surprised the I2 did its little shake, too much AI in this beast!
2018-2-16
Use props
Willow Creative
lvl.1
Canada

Grouseburner Posted at 2018-2-16 09:11
Sorry to correct you, I get what you're saying but in the cold its the opposite, the air gets "thicker" or more dense, so it probably thinks its pushing high altitude props at low altitude.  I didn't get this issue but I know folk who were flying at -38 near the arctic ocean at sea level and were getting this warning. I'm up in the mountains so maybe the altitude cancels out the soupy air issue.  I never had this problem with the good ol Inspire 1,  flew it in every sort of cold weather you can think of, sea level, -48, high winds, snow. Always rock solid except at high lattitudes when the compass would totally whack out, had to fly Atti mode for 90% of the time. RTH definitely wouldn't have worked.  I'm surprised the I2 did its little shake, too much AI in this beast!

Thanks for all the info Grouseburner. You are correct, the air thickens, which would make more sense! So I flew a job this past weekend and she flew like a champ. Mind you it was only -15 celcius but the winds were going at 45km! So glad to have my Inspire 2 back. I couldn't have done it without all the knowledge and testing that others, like yourself, Grouseburner have done. I have not had an issue with my landing gear yet, but I could definitely see it being an issue when it gets too cold. I will look into changing out the grease!

Thanks again! I hope people with similar issues learn from what we've been chatting about!
2018-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules