Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
1st crash. Gimbal now dead. :(
1293 9 2015-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
i_anderson
lvl.3

United Kingdom

HI to all,

So, after about 30-40 flights it happened..... I was out testing with my soon to be married son, he's hoping for some aerial video of the event. Was trying to test another mode in Autopilot (NOT at fault here BTW) and she drifted into a tree and fell about 50' onto the grass below. I'm pretty sure I screwed up and had knocked S1 into atti mode - which I'd practiced with the day before. Didn't realize why she was drifting towards the trees until too late.

Broke a couple of guards and props and the landing gear took one hell of a wallop..... Fortunately, Uavbits carbon guard and their little plastic gimbal saver did their jobs - Looking at the damage, one landing leg is a little 'gimpy', but I'm sure it would have been toast without the guard. The (sacrificial) gimbal saver also served its purpose - it actually broke, but at least the gimbal stayed in one piece.....

However, the top of the gimbal arm did get 'punched' into the underside of the cover plate on the mount - I can see the mark. A little judicious 'bending' has got it all moving freely again. However, the vertical arm, when looked at from the rear, is about 10-15degs off vertical.

Removed the prop guards and the top. Everything looks good - No obviously 'pulled' plugs etc. Powered up (props off of course!) and it all works - the camera feeds the iPhone as it should. But, the gimbal never 'moves'.

It's obviously getting power as the camera still works, but it just hangs there looking sorry for itself. The ribbon cable 'appears' OK, and I've checked the grey connectors, again, seem OK.

I've looked at a few 'how to fix your gimbal' videos, but I don't think (hope?) I'm quite in that boat.
Any idea for what's next,

Cheers,
Ian

2015-4-28
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.3

United Kingdom

First try at attaching a couple of pix.....

Upside down, damnit!

Upside down, damnit!
2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

i_anderson@iclo Posted at 2015-4-28 16:36
First try at attaching a couple of pix.....

Check all 3 plug sets at the front top of the gimbal coming out of the aircraft.  Make sure they are all firmly seated.
BTW,  the shaft is bent.  Try with pliers with black tape on the jaws and you can try to bend it back very carefully.  I would also have pliers at the base of where it connects to the pivot to prevent it from bending there.
2015-4-28
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-28 16:59
Check all 3 plug sets at the front top of the gimbal coming out of the aircraft.  Make sure they a ...

Yes indeed! (That the shaft is bent).

As it's moving freely, I was hoping to address that issue 'later' - once I could see how 'off' it is on the screen. (?)

I assume you mean these connectors? They all look good to me, but I've given 'em all a little 'push' regardless. Haven't powered it up yet, but I'm doubtful.....

Thanks for the comments,
Cheers,
Ian
image.jpg
2015-4-28
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Humph.... I've got a bad feeling about this.... See pic....

However, remaining optimistic, the camera itself still works - and surely that's fed by/feeding into that cable?

Cheers,
Ian
image.jpg
2015-4-28
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I suspect the gimbal arm getting 'punched', as you put it, into the underside of the cover plate may have affected the gimbal IMU circuitry and that is why it just hangs lifeless.  That kinda pushes this beyond the scope of most of the DIY fixes and videos I've seen here on the forum.

The repair options:
   1) Take it to the local dealer (if available)
   2) Take a shot with www.usdronerepair.com  Looks like they would charge a minimum of $80 to fix the gimbal.
   3) Get an RMA and send it in to DJI and see if they'll repair it (likely a long turnaround)
   4) Just bite the bullet and go ahead and spend the $675.00 for a new camera now
2015-4-28
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.3

United Kingdom

gil Posted at 2015-4-28 17:23
I suspect the gimbal arm getting 'punched', as you put it, into the underside of the cover plate may ...

Thanks man! (& I noticed your reply in the other thread, thanks there too!)

Paraphrasing Monty Python, " but it's barely a scratch!"......

Seriously, I think that was going to be my next 'surgery' - it seems two little screws and that 'cover plate' will slide out. I'm thinking I may as well have a 'look see'. Not sure what I can do to fix anything, but maybe it'll be something 'obvious'.....

Thanks,
Ian
2015-4-28
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Ever optimistic, put it all 'losely' back together & powered up with fingers etc all crossed.....

As before, everything (almost) appears to work. GPS locks, camera powers up and is feeding 'good' video to the iPhone, but no signs of life from the gimbal.

However, two more things I did notice;

1. The tilt slider in the app now shows a little red, rather than green 'bar' in the slider on the right of the screen. I'm pretty sure it used to be green, so guess it's somehow receiving 'feedback' that it's not able to communicate. (?) obviously, tapping the up & down buttons does nothing.

2. Both 'front' led sets are out. This may be normal until you start the props (?), but I'm not sure anymore?

Bummed as all was going so well until then. Oh well, no aerial video for him I guess.

Cheers,
Ian
2015-4-28
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Answered my own question about the LEDs - powered up & firing up the motors does indeed turn on the front lights.

"So that's something." ;)

Just *so* bummed. I'm already in the UK, on our way to France for the big day, and I've now got to lug this boat anchor around the world with me.

Oh well, another lesson learnt.

Cheers,
Ian
2015-4-28
Use props
wallstarn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60276 ft
United Kingdom

i_anderson@iclo Posted at 2015-4-28 18:54
Answered my own question about the LEDs - powered up & firing up the motors does indeed turn on the  ...

Try taking out SD card to see if camera works, has bad card can stop gimble working
2015-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules