Going insane trying to use Assistant Simulator
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi guys. I'm pretty stressed out at the moment because I 100% NEED to use the simulator within the Assistant 2 program on my MAC.

I have searched for solutions but can't find any and it's really annoying me.

Basically, I connect drone to MAC, turn on drone and RC, open assistant, find the phantom. I did some calibration in case that was needed. But, EVERY TIME I open the simulator I can never get any control. The dang craft won't fire up and it is effectively useless.

Can somebody please expalin how you get this stupid program to work? And DJI, if you're listening, make this thing easier to work with will you. The app in the phone goes to sleep only when using sim, it's useless on a small phone so the sim in asst is my only option. But it won't work. Genius!!
2018-2-2
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

PS. I have the Phantom 4 Pro
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello Hazy, may I know how do you start the motor in Simulator? Tap to fly or CSC? I'd suggest to check both ways to see whether there is any difference.
CSC.png
2018-2-2
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've been trying to get the motors started in exactly the same way I fly my drone. Both sticks to bottom inner. After all, that's the logical thing to do, I fly my drone this way, I'm simulating what I would do with my drone so why will it not start up?
I'll give the outer corners a go in a little while

2018-2-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hazy Jay Posted at 2018-2-3 05:08
I've been trying to get the motors started in exactly the same way I fly my drone. Both sticks to bottom inner. After all, that's the logical thing to do, I fly my drone this way, I'm simulating what I would do with my drone so why will it not start up?
I'll give the outer corners a go in a little while

You mention calibration, was that the RC ?

Also the aircraft needs to be powered up (as it does when running DJI Go 4 Flight Sim), and connected via USB to computer.
2018-2-3
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I wouldn't even get into the sim if the craft wasn't connected and turned on! In fact, you can't even get into the Assistant program properly until your craft is connected and turned on.

As for calibration, I did what ASSISTANT asked me do which was craft rotation. I can do everything in Assistant except get the craft flying. Afetr hours of researching yesterday the most common solution has been to give up on Mac OS and go to a windows machine where people found it worked instantly. If Susan's suggestion of outer corners does not work then I will try a Windows VM. I suspect this is more to do with bad coding than any user error
2018-2-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Regarding the connection, I had been thinking of the DJI Go 4 Sim, which is what i normally use. You are correct in what you say :-)

The calibration you mention is the Visual Positioning Sensor calibration. That does not need to be done before using flight sim.

When you completed that calibration did you repower aircraft ?

If your RC has not been calibrated it may not be registering the stick positions properly, which may be why it’s not starting.

It may be a Mac Assistant 2 problem as you suggest. I’ve always used Windows.
2018-2-4
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-4 02:27
Regarding the connection, I had been thinking of the DJI Go 4 Sim, which is what i normally use. You are correct in what you say :-)

The calibration you mention is the Visual Positioning Sensor calibration. That does not need to be done before using flight sim.

It's definitely a MAC issue. My RC is paired to the craft because I can fly it outside. I use CSC to start props and up she goes.

I've tried both ways suggested by Susan and it still won't work. I'll try in a windows VM today.

I use a Samsung S8 when normal flying but for sim purposes it is useless and pointless. It is far too small to see the craft properly in the sim, and the sim is the only part of the app that makes my phone want to go back to sleep. The rest of the Go app keeps the phone awake, but the sim doesn't. But as I say that's not my issue because using the S8 is not viable.

I'll post back this afternoon with the result of my Windows VM test

PS. Yes I did restart craft after the sensor calibration, several times, and the RC several times. I've tried every feasible and logical way of getting it to work. Everything does, except the sim ha ha
2018-2-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hazy Jay Posted at 2018-2-5 03:30
It's definitely a MAC issue. My RC is paired to the craft because I can fly it outside. I use CSC to start props and up she goes.

I've tried both ways suggested by Susan and it still won't work. I'll try in a windows VM today.

Good luck with the flight sim test, will be interesting to see if Windows VM on Mac handles it well.

The flight Sim is good for testing out one or two theories without risking the aircraft. I don't think they've yet built in a routine to emulate the typical 'fly away' as yet
2018-2-5
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

OK, this is now 100% confirmed as a MAC issue. I installed Windows 7 via Parallels desktop and installed the windows version of Assistant 2. And guess what? IT WORKS!!

DJI this is a very poor show from yourselves. Bad coding is preventing the simulator working for many many people with their MAC's. Not everyone will have the louse to be able to operate a VM because it won't be something they are familiar with. You need to sort this issue out because it is not desirable to run a windows environment on my MAC.
2018-2-5
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-5 03:45
Good luck with the flight sim test, will be interesting to see if Windows VM on Mac handles it well.

The flight Sim is good for testing out one or two theories without risking the aircraft. I don't think they've yet built in a routine to emulate the typical 'fly away' as yet

Ha ha, yeah flyaway, or gps failure within the app would be useful. Windows emulator ran it fine. I did a few circles and figure 8's and then landed and exited.
Another useful addition for the app would be to allow us to place ground markers around which we can practice manouevres, and also add the odd building or 2 maybe.
2018-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules