Spark still not reliable. Is it just me?
1325 16 2018-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moxie Aerials
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1006342 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Greetings Users,

I've had the Spark now for a couple months and have yet to actually use it beyond testing. I'm currently using it with an iPhone 6 and the most recent version of DJI GO 4 but between compass errors and dropped wifi signals I can't trust it beyond 20 ft away from me.

My main rig is a P4 and I was hoping to utilize the Spark as a backup, but with the camera function limitations, and the connection and compass problems, the only thing it has been good for is a portable USB charger.

I'm curious to know if any Spark users have gotten great performance out of it at long ranges and heights. I haven't yet had a chance to try out any of the unique features it has simply because of its poor functionality.

So my my experience has led me to believe that the Spark is merely an advanced selfie stick.
2018-2-2
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 163337 ft
United Kingdom

Not had a problem with mine in the 6 months I've had it.  Flown in UK mainly, but also Italy & Canada.  Only calibrated IMU and Compass when it was new and asked me to.  Here's a few pics from Tremblant just before Christmas - longer reach than a selfie stick

Kept within Canadian flight rules whilst there - didn't even have to switch to 2.4ghz to hit the maximums allowed.

2018-2-2
Use props
Moxie Aerials
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1006342 ft
  • >>>
Canada

jiminythompson Posted at 2018-2-2 08:07
Not had a problem with mine in the 6 months I've had it.  Flown in UK mainly, but also Italy & Canada.  Only calibrated IMU and Compass when it was new and asked me to.  Here's a few pics from Tremblant just before Christmas - longer reach than a selfie stick  

Kept within Canadian flight rules whilst there - didn't even have to switch to 2.4ghz to hit the maximums allowed.

Brilliant Jiminy! Tremblant's a sweet spot to fly for sure.

What are you using as far as app and remotes go?
2018-2-2
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Moxie Aerials Posted at 2018-2-2 08:09

Using the remote, iPhone 7 Plus and always the latest versions of iOS and DJi Go4.  No OTG cable.

Tremblant was really nice

Only problem I had, being honest, was my phone shutting down from the cold when I was flying over the frozen Ottawa River - it was -29c and windy.  The drove behaved perfectly (battery from pocket).  Don't really get those temps in the UK!  RC still worked and I could bring the drone down safely.  Can't really fault any equipment for that though - all the user
2018-2-2
Use props
Outlier22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328474 ft
United States

well i have not flown the distance you've flown but haven't had much of an issue yet.  I've only gone out about 1 KM and found at that range the video feed was a bit laggy and would freeze up for a few sec and then catch up.  But I never lost connection.  ...although I did get a few error messages pop up about moving away from other wifi interference.  This was a neighborhood flight so I don't know if I was flying into other peoples wifi hotspots or if it was warning me about my own house wifi???

anyway, the Spark has been reliable for me so far for me using the controller, my old iphone 6s and now my new iphone 8 plus.
2018-2-2
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Not had a problem with mine in the 6 months I've had it.  Flown in UK mainly, but also Italy & Canada.  Only calibrated IMU and Compass when it was new and asked me to.  Here's a few pics from Tremblant just before Christmas - longer reach than a selfie stick  

wow .. amazing pictures
2018-2-2
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

no issues here after 9months of ownership.  I disconnect but was due to pilot error, got to close to electrical wire.  it did return to home no problem.
2018-2-2
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

HOpe you had a great Christmas vacation in Tremblant.  I'm only 3hrs away.  
2018-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Spark is extremely reliable I’ve been flying 7 months no problems, Spark is a new craft and many new users, which can have a huge bearing on the amount of problems. I wouldn’t be worried about it.
2018-2-2
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

I've been flying since August with the Spark being my first and only drone. I use a remote and iPad 2017. I use the OTG cable when current versions have allowed. The spark has been rock solid every flight.

2018-2-2
Use props
Trip Astute
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109593 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimm00re Posted at 2018-2-2 08:50
I've been flying since August with the Spark being my first and only drone. I use a remote and iPad 2017. I use the OTG cable when current versions have allowed. The spark has been rock solid every flight.

[view_image]

Wow, that's an awesome photo! Great work!
2018-2-2
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-2 08:40
HOpe you had a great Christmas vacation in Tremblant.  I'm only 3hrs away.

Spent Christmas in Cobden, Ontario where my brother lives (in Whitewater region), but also visited Quebec City & Montreal.  Lovely area and nice to have a (very) white Christmas!
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Moxie Aerials Posted at 2018-2-2 08:09

Sir, if you get compass error from your app, please ensure that there is no interference around your spark. I would recommend you try to fly in a new place with good GPS signal and calibrate the compass. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-2
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Being flying my Spark since August 2017, travelled to Serbia, Austria and Croatia. Only issue I had was a battery falling out, luckily close to home point. Otherwise great flying and no issues. I use an iPad and OTG.
2018-2-2
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
India

there were issues but all could be solved without any flight mishap....
2018-2-3
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

The environment where the user flies has a large impact on the safe flying of a Spark.  Some users need a phantom to fly where they want, like over cities, or miles away from them over homes with wifi routers.  Sparks have advantages over other drones such as their portability, not threatening size, and price.  Flying ranges that are longer than allowed by governments is not one of the Sparks advantages.  On the up side, a Spark has never collided with a helicopter full of people.
2018-2-3
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

If I understand this correctly, you didn't buy the remote control, and are using your iPhone to control the Spark? If that is the case, look no further and get the RC. Everything you hear what people are doing with their Sparks, every footage you have seen, all have been done with the remote and would be impossible without. The truth is, without the RC, the Spark is little more than a flying selfie stick, and certainly a very cool party trick, but the remote makes all the difference.
2018-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules