1590 31 2018-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

After waiting over 2 weeks of dry weather to go flying, I'd thought Id take a trip to the Denbigh Asylum, but....................

Luckly only lost a Led light cover and broke the Gimbal crash protector
2018-2-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

A salutary lesson for us all! Good of you to share the experience, and even better you can do so with a wry smile. Thanks for the share, and better luck next time.
2018-2-2
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

Lucky escape.
2018-2-2
Use props
Peo
First Officer
Flight distance : 25409793 ft
Sweden

He he God song. Im happy 4 u
2018-2-2
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Lucky you   only 8  left , fly safe
2018-2-2
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Coulda been a lot worse.  Be thankful.
2018-2-2
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I swear those trees are alive and they purposefully reach out and grab ya when you get close enough...
Glad you recovered relatively well, lucky you.
I had a tree snag me only 4 days after I first started flying, now I try to give them all a 10 foot wide birth.
One thing you showed in your video that all should take note of is always consider what can go wrong and have a plan to deal with it...like having the ability to recover your downed bird from wherever it might end up.  Such as being skinny enough to crawl under a fence, fat chance that would have worked for me
Fly Safe

2018-2-2
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch! Awesome song, matches the situation perfectly.
2018-2-2
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-2 12:29
I swear those trees are alive and they purposefully reach out and grab ya when you get close enough...
Glad you recovered relatively well, lucky you.
I had a tree snag me only 4 days after I first started flying, now I try to give them all a 10 foot wide birth.

I shall be giving trees a wide berth in future. If you saw me I'm not that skinny, it was a tight squeeze but I had to get my Drone back at all costs
2018-2-2
Use props
JpNL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 428245 ft
Netherlands

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-2-2 08:39
A salutary lesson for us all! Good of you to share the experience, and even better you can do so with a wry smile. Thanks for the share, and better luck next time.

Thanks for the warning. After a long cold wet winter, we are all a bit rusty. That is why I am going to practice in a spacious environment after the winter break.
This film reminds me why.

thanks for sharing.

JpNL
2018-2-2
Use props
duke123
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78930 ft
United States

Its happens to use all
2018-2-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Trees will often reach out and grab your drone. Ha

Lucky your experience was less than horrific, & it lived to fly another day. ;-)

Thanks for sharing your good fortune.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Glad to know the drone works well now. Threatening but not dangerous.
2018-2-2
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-2 19:41
Glad to know the drone works well now. Threatening but not dangerous.

Thanks, but I'm having trouble finding one of these to buy in the UK..  
2018-2-3
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-2 18:09
Trees will often reach out and grab your drone. Ha

Lucky your experience was less than horrific, & it lived to fly another day. ;-)

I must admit it did put me off trying again after the crash, but I did fly it again but felt uncomfortable, I'm glad the gimbal guard did its job. I have noticed a crack after I cleaned everything up, I have got a new body shell I bought awhile ago just in case this happened, but I'll see how things develop I don't fancy the Idea of stripping it down.

2018-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dale,
Ah man, that's a drag, seeing your Phantom scuffed up, and out of commission. So You would rather not send it in for service and repair? They would run other tests to make sure it is still fully functional.
That gimbal guard really took a hard hit.  Yes, it likely saved your camera from becoming disengaged to the aircraft.

The shell crack isn't so bad. But if you don't feel comfortable, doing a new shell replacement, watch some YouTube videos, of demonstrating-switching out the shell, it could be fun, if you take your time.

There are folks on the forum that can lead you through the process of shell replacement too.

Make sure you have all the proper drivers for each or any screw heads.

RedHotPoker

2018-2-3
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

It’s good to know the gimbal guard did it’s job, it’s could have been much worse. The should ban trees from where we want to fly. Lol
2018-2-3
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 2018-2-3 03:58
It’s good to know the gimbal guard did it’s job, it’s could have been much worse. The should ban trees from where we want to fly. Lol

You're right about the trees
2018-2-3
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-3 02:59
Dale,
Ah man, that's a drag, seeing your Phantom scuffed up, and out of commission. So You would rather not send it in for service and repair? They would run other tests to make sure it is still fully functional.
That gimbal guard really took a hard hit.  Yes, it likely saved your camera from becoming disengaged to the aircraft.

When I can I'll go out and try some low level flying just to see how things cope, I've just finished editing the video after the crash, upload soon
2018-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dale 68 Posted at 2018-2-3 04:18
When I can I'll go out and try some low level flying just to see how things cope, I've just finished editing the video after the crash, upload soon

Ok, I can wait to see it. Yes, can... I often dislike strongly, watching RC crashes. I've had enough of my own. But sometimes we learn valuable lessons to avoid similar situations.

Honestly, I have very little sympathy for those who fail to heed our previous warnings of not flying near trees. They will often bring bad tidings.

Post that video...
You flew way too close to that tree branch, and should have raised your altitude. Not an accident at all. Correct?

RedHotPoker

2018-2-3
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-3 14:49
Ok, I can wait to see it. Yes, can... I often dislike strongly, watching RC crashes. I've had enough of my own. But sometimes we learn valuable lessons to avoid similar situations.

Honestly, I have very little sympathy for those who fail to heed our previous warnings of not flying near trees. They will often bring bad tidings.

Pilot error, lesson learned, I was lining up the shot viewing on my monitor, I don't normally view the monitor for such things, only on start up and take off and when I'm up and flying.
2018-2-4
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-3 15:49
The covers come with a replacement shell.  Never seen them standalone.  Check ebay for parts or a crashed unit.

I found a chap in the UK that has some for sale, I do have a spare body shell with them all in, but I didn't want to strip that down for spares, I will see how my existing shell copes then change the whole lot if need be. It should be OK I got a 20min flight in after the bump.
2018-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dale 68 Posted at 2018-2-4 01:31
Pilot error, lesson learned, I was lining up the shot viewing on my monitor, I don't normally view the monitor for such things, only on start up and take off and when I'm up and flying.

Yes, Pilot error, for sure.

At Least you have a good attitude about it. Even with the small shell fracture and missing LED lens cover.  

Good to hear that you found a supplier for the bit of plastic, without having to buy another shell.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-4
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-4 07:29
Yes, Pilot error, for sure.

At Least you have a good attitude about it. Even with the small shell fracture and missing LED lens cover.  

I had to make light of a bad situation, nothing I could do about it, other than cry.
2018-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dale 68 Posted at 2018-2-4 07:48
I had to make light of a bad situation, nothing I could do about it, other than cry.

It shows me, that you are a very decent person, who can laugh at our own mistakes and move on.

People who can smile easily, are more or less good hearted, happy folks.

You have probably seen other people come on here, insult and tear into DJI, blaming them, for the pilots mistakes which often caused catastrophic ends to their flights.

It takes a bigger man, to admit self error and only ask of help in finding parts and pieces.

Did you actually search around the crash site, looking for the missing lens cover?

RedHotPoker
2018-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dale 68 Posted at 2018-2-4 07:48

It shows me, that you are a very decent person, who can laugh at our own mistakes and move on.

You have probably seen other people come on here, insult and tear into DJI, blaming them, for the pilots mistakes which often caused catastrophic ends to their flights.

It takes a bigger man, to admit self error and only ask of help in finding parts and pieces.

Did you actually search around the crash site, looking for the missing lens cover?

RedHotPoker
2018-2-4
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-4 07:54

Thank you Sir for the nice comment,If I make a mistake Im quite happy to own up to it, it's part of lifes learning curve,I couldn't exactly blame DJI for the trees. On hind sight I should of checked my drone over before I scrambled back under the gate I would have noticed it was missing,but I just wanted to get out and not get caught in there.
2018-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dale 68 Posted at 2018-2-4 08:11
Thank you Sir for the nice comment,If I make a mistake Im quite happy to own up to it, it's part of lifes learning curve,I couldn't exactly blame DJI for the trees. On hind sight I should of checked my drone over before I scrambled back under the gate I would have noticed it was missing,but I just wanted to get out and not get caught in there.

Yup, Life's Lessons are often the hardest taught, and longest learned.

I would bet a shiny sheckle, you will avoid them naughty trees, for a good long while. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-2-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Dale 68 Posted at 2018-2-3 01:02
I must admit it did put me off trying again after the crash, but I did fly it again but felt uncomfortable, I'm glad the gimbal guard did its job. I have noticed a crack after I cleaned everything up, I have got a new body shell I bought awhile ago just in case this happened, but I'll see how things develop I don't fancy the Idea of stripping it down.

[view_image]  

Thanks for getting back to us. The performance might not be ensured after crash. I‘d insist on sending it in for a fully diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-2-6
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Quite refreshing to see someone with the courage to admit a mistake. And then show us a vid of how he did it! For someone in my position, it's a lesson to see how a twig can bring down a drone as quickly as that.
2018-3-3
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dorset_Horn Posted at 2018-3-3 08:38
Quite refreshing to see someone with the courage to admit a mistake. And then show us a vid of how he did it! For someone in my position, it's a lesson to see how a twig can bring down a drone as quickly as that.

I couldn't really blame anyone else, apart from that twig
2018-3-3
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Sun spots?
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now