Mavic Air vs waiting for Mavic Pro 2?
7990 16 2018-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
windgate
lvl.3
United States

I'm curious how many others potentially like me are torn as they love the small form factor of the Mavic Air and cool flight modes?... but are thinking they'll just be patient and wait for the Mavic Pro 2 -- in the hopes it will include not only the newer flight modes (plus those missing on the Mavic Air), but also finally a 1" sensor? Especially if the Mavic Pro 2 might be released as early as March, 2018.
2018-2-2
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

If you wait for the next best thing to come along, you will always be waiting.
Do your research, pick the best drone for you that's available today and buy it.
Or sit on the fence and wait for the Mavic Pro 2, or the Phantom 5, or even the Spark 2, the list goes on............
2018-2-2
Use props
damoUK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 693038 ft
United Kingdom

I’m waiting. Don’t see enough in the Mavic Air over the Pro I already have to invest in one, especially if there’s an inkling of the Pro 2 around the corner. Though, again, the Pro 2 needs to have enough over the original to make me buy it - water resistance would be the ideal big change as I lose so many planned flights to bad weather, especially over the Autumn and Winter!
2018-2-2
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

damoUK Posted at 2018-2-2 09:20
I’m waiting. Don’t see enough in the Mavic Air over the Pro I already have to invest in one, especially if there’s an inkling of the Pro 2 around the corner. Though, again, the Pro 2 needs to have enough over the original to make me buy it - water resistance would be the ideal big change as I lose so many planned flights to bad weather, especially over the Autumn and Winter!

I've been sitting on my P3A for some time and was torn when the Mavic Pro was released but had not had my P3A for long. I've had no complaints and been very happy with my P3A, aside from size and that I like to do areal photography (more so than videos), and the 1/2.3 sensor just doesn't provide the contrast and detail that I would like to see. I may just hold off for the MP2. I'm also not so sure about the WiFi over AcuSync -- and hoping DJI will continue OcuSync for MP2.
2018-2-2
Use props
mmedia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112073 ft
Spain

I wish and I hope a new sensor of 1 inch for the new DJI Mavic Pro 2   
2018-2-28
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

I can honestly say I'm not torn at all, The Mavic Air's compact size and its pricepoint suits my  'wannahaves' perfectly. The Pro (and Pro II) might be the more professional drone, but that comes with a pricetag. With all the rumors and whishes for the Mavic Pro II it will most probably come with a pricetag for which you can buy 2 Mavic Air's.

I am eager to see the new Mavic Pro II and its evolution though.
2018-2-28
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

Harbourside Posted at 2018-2-2 09:18
If you wait for the next best thing to come along, you will always be waiting.
Do your research, pick the best drone for you that's available today and buy it.
Or sit on the fence and wait for the Mavic Pro 2, or the Phantom 5, or even the Spark 2, the list goes on............

I couldn't  agree more! Even though the Mavic Air was announced I decided to buy myself the Mavic Pro Platinum and have not regretted it one bit. Besides that the Mavic 2 will come out as early as March, those are still just rumors.
2018-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think Mavic pro11 will be a different craft than MavAir, so if you want a really great and truly portable drone get MavAir it’s really tremendous and IMO a better craft than the Mavic Pro and I have both, then when Mavic pro11 comes out get that as well or sell your MavAir and buy the Pro11, but I can tell you your missing out by not having a MavAir.
2018-2-28
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I will not have one Air...but a Pro II would be great.
2018-2-28
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Marian Posted at 2018-2-28 04:42
I couldn't  agree more! Even though the Mavic Air was announced I decided to buy myself the Mavic Pro Platinum and have not regretted it one bit. Besides that the Mavic 2 will come out as early as March, those are still just rumors.

Not sure where the March rumors came from, but it’s more likely to be a September launch they have good Air sales and the Platinum was a refresh, every one compares them to Apple, which would suggest a six to nine month cycle.

Even if the MP II was ready, they are more likely to hold off until sales in the Air and Platinum slow. Gives them a chance to build release stock too!
2018-2-28
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-2-28 08:34
Not sure where the March rumors came from, but it’s more likely to be a September launch they have good Air sales and the Platinum was a refresh, every one compares them to Apple, which would suggest a six to nine month cycle.

Even if the MP II was ready, they are more likely to hold off until sales in the Air and Platinum slow. Gives them a chance to build release stock too!

The Air could be cannibalizing Platinum sales already, the MP is due an update to clearly differentiate the two from eachother. 1.5 year old tech is like a decade old in droneworld.
2018-2-28
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

As long as I have a good, working Mavic Pro, I'll wait for the next version rather than the Air.  If I had nothing, then the Air would certainly be my choice.
2018-2-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keeping my MPP and waiting for the MP2.
2018-2-28
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

I think the mavic air is replacing the mavic pro. Then they will release the mavic pro 2 which will be a bigger and better mavic.

Maybe get rid of the phantom

If they are going the apple route they will streamline their products.
2018-2-28
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

Steeevo Posted at 2018-2-28 13:56
I think the mavic air is replacing the mavic pro. Then they will release the mavic pro 2 which will be a bigger and better mavic.

Maybe get rid of the phantom

That's pretty much how I see it, the new Mavic will be much bigger but still folding as the concept has proven its worth. The Inspire will continue to be developed as the professional entry point. I wouldn't be surprised to see the end of the Phantom range.
2018-2-28
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was having the same dilemma and I decided to keep my MP and Spark. They didn't give me any problem and have used quickshots as well. Range for me is important eventhough I always fly VLOS.
2018-2-28
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-2-28 14:44
That's pretty much how I see it, the new Mavic will be much bigger but still folding as the concept has proven its worth. The Inspire will continue to be developed as the professional entry point. I wouldn't be surprised to see the end of the Phantom range.

I'd be very surprised if the Mavic Pro II would be bigger, or better said, heavier then 900 grams with prop guards fitted.
Mainly because of the new European harmonisation which is set to take place early 2019. Aircraft above 900 grams would need pilot certification to fly. (And DJI knows this)
2018-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules