Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal mounting with zip ties
2122 7 2015-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roy
lvl.2

United States

The local drone shop had to do some work on my P2 and when the reattached my H3-3D instead of using retaining pins through the dampers they used zip ties. No problem there, I've heard of plenty of people using zip ties. And yes, they are loose, not tight.

However, instead of putting them on diagonal corners of the gimbal they put them on the two front corners. Should I remove one of the ties and put a new one on a diagonal corner?

I figure there must be some reason DJI advises you to use opposite corners instead of adjacent corners or even all four corners. Maybe this diagonal configuration reduces vibrations?

TIA for any input.
2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Putting on opposite corners will maintain the balance.  If the 2 free ones came out, your camera could actually bend the mount of the camera.  Opposites are best.
2015-4-28
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Agree with Gerry.

I suspect you got a "Friday afternoon" repair...... ;) Two in opposite corners makes sense to me.

Having said that, I don't see any reason why *four*, nice lose, zip ties wouldn't be an even better idea? Just something I've been pondering (?)
Then, even a 45deg angle 'hit' would still be supported, surely?

Cheers,
Ian
2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

i_anderson@iclo Posted at 2015-4-28 19:22
Agree with Gerry.

I suspect you got a "Friday afternoon" repair...... ;) Two in opposite corners ma ...

Four would be better, as long as they are loose.
2015-4-28
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

i use the two connecting pins in the front and two zip ties in the rear.  could easily use four zip ties once i run out of the pins.
2015-4-28
Use props
paul
lvl.2

United States

One thing I dislike about zip ties is I've had them can get tighter if they're nudged a little, and then they're hard to re-loosen.  (Also I didn't happen to have the right size zip ties at home.)  So I used twistie ties that come with loaves of bread, removing the paper leaving only the wire, leaving it loose and trimming the excess.  

I suppose it could be a miniscule amount more weight, or interfere with electronics since it's metal, but that's my reasoning.

Seems to me the right length of string or dental floss would work too.
2015-4-28
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

They act the same as a girls/ladies diamond bracelet, a ssfety chain In case the main clasp fails. The zip ties or what ever you use does the same. Keeps you from loosing the  camera/ gimbal in case of a major crash.  It's a good idea to have a least one. Better idea for two.
2015-4-28
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

you can buy 100 of them for $2.
2015-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now