Repeated Compass Recalibrate warnings
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Hello All:

When I start DJI GO 4 app on my iPhone 5s, power up controller, then power up Mavic Pro, after a few seconds, I get message about Compass needing to be Calibrated.

I have tried Recalibrating compass four times.  Once in an open area, where I have previosly and succesffuly recalibrated iPhone, Garmin GPS, and Jeep's builtin compass.  Next two times, I went even further away from any metal buildings or fencing (750-feet away).  Last time I tried, I went another 200-feet away.

I though compass calibration was resolved on foruth attempt.  When I powered up controller, then powered up Mavic Pro, I did not get message about compass.  However, when I powered up controller, started DJI GO 4 app, then powered up Mavic Pro, once again after a few seconds I got message about Compass needng to be Calibrated.

From what I have experienced so far, anytime I have quit DJI GO 4 app - On next startup of App, Controller, Mavic Pro, regardless of what is started first, I get message about Compass needing to be Calibrated.  Whereas, if I keep DJI GO 4 app running, power up controller then Mavi Pro, I don't get compass calibration message.

Anyone else seen this problem?  If so, did you find a solution?

I am also getting intermittenet message from GO 4 app about some software components needing update (even though it was all updated 16-hours before).  But that will require another Thread and capturing actual message.

Thanks in Advance
HedgeTrimmer

2018-2-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In these situations its best to refresh your FW using Assistant 2, calibrate the IMU on a flat surface then calibrate the compass when outside and away from any ferromagnetic interference - wearing an Apple watch or even a bunch of keys in your pocket can cause this to happen... If it still persists then you may have a faulty drone that needs to be sent back.
2018-2-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-2 12:36
In these situations its best to refresh your FW using Assistant 2, calibrate the IMU on a flat surface then calibrate the compass when outside and away from any ferromagnetic interference - wearing an Apple watch or even a bunch of keys in your pocket can cause this to happen... If it still persists then you may have a faulty drone that needs to be sent back.

Thanks.  When I get someplace where I got a Free internet connection vs. pay by Megabytes I will down load Assistant 2, and give it a whirl.
2018-2-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-2-3 15:15
Thanks.  When I get someplace where I got a Free internet connection vs. pay by Megabytes I will down load Assistant 2, and give it a whirl.

Refresh the FW and calibrate the IMU at home.
2018-2-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-4 00:30
Refresh the FW and calibrate the IMU at home.

I did refresh the Firmware and calibrate the IMU (twice).

Unfortunately it did not help.

I got Compass Re-calibrate using iPad Air2.  
I did Re-calibrate without problems, and Mavic flew fine.
Stopped flying for short period to review recorded video.
When I went to fly drone, I once again got Compass Re-calibrate.  Re-calibrated and Mavic flew fine.

Today I tried using iPhone 5s.
Once again, I got a Compass Re-calibrate.  Did Re-calibrate, and Mavic flew fine.

Either there is a problem with Mavic or DJI Go4 software running on admittedly older Apple iPad & iPhone.

2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-2-11 22:51
I did refresh the Firmware and calibrate the IMU (twice).

Unfortunately it did not help.

That probably isn't a software glitch but more than likely the location you are flying in. You will always get compass errors indoors for example due to the magnetic interference. Try a different location outside and if it persists you may need to send the drone in for checks/repair.
2018-2-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-11 23:37
That probably isn't a software glitch but more than likely the location you are flying in. You will always get compass errors indoors for example due to the magnetic interference. Try a different location outside and if it persists you may need to send the drone in for checks/repair.

It is definitely outside and in two different locations.  With different take-off points in one of outside locations.
2018-2-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try an IMU calibration too.
2018-2-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-12 10:11
Try an IMU calibration too.

Thanks for reply.  But I already did two IMU calibrations.

My plan is to:
1) Do compass re-calibrate.
2) Briefly fly.
3) Power cycle Mavic Pro
4) See if I get compass re-calibrate.

Repeat steps 1 thru 4, except Power cycle Remote Controller.

Repeat steps 1 thru 4, except quit / restart GO4 App.

If one of those do not cause a Compass Re-calibrate then try combinations.
2018-2-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Let me know how you get on. Hopefully it’ll work or it may be that the compass is defective and needs repairing by DJI.
2018-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules