Dji Pantom 2 vision + v3.0 melted
3699 36 2015-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vazkiller
New

Russia

Hello from Russia! Became the proud owner of Dji Pantom 2 vision + v3.0, but happiness was not long! The first flight was excellent and up rose high, photo / video in the overall WOW !!! The second flight, it was decided to hold at a distance, left in the field and flew. Somewhere in the 300 meters, I was distracted, lost his sight and touch with the same phone was broken, it was decided to sit wherever they are! Searched long and hard, the grass was probably 25-30 cm shorter than one day I found him using find my phantom, which was very surprised !!!
I was just, I'm sorry, is shocked by what he saw !!! All the engines are turned obsalyutno of seats for the reason that the seats in the engine casing melted !!! The reason for this is clear, new, more powerful engines were stronger Chinese plastic but have poor heat dissipation system, just idling poplavili body !!! After all, the machines at engine idle piston not melt !!!
What to do ??? I want to fly !!!

PS On the memory card 3 video file to 35 minutes (3.66 GB), All this time he stood with the included screws !!!
Here's a photo.

IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0950.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG
2015-4-28
Use props
merc_slk_amg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32054 ft
Sweden

DJI products................

Do not fight above people cars or houses, it can be expensive when our phantom drops on something.

It will sooner or later drop !
2015-4-28
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

merc_slk_amg@ho Posted at 2015-4-28 21:59
DJI products................

Do not fight above people cars or houses, it can be expensive when our ...

It looks like the motors/props got tangled up in the grass, preventing them from turning at all. A sure recipe for overheating and thus, the melted casing.
2015-4-28
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Godfrey Posted at 2015-4-28 22:29
It looks like the motors/props got tangled up in the grass, preventing them from turning at all. A ...

I would agree and because it was in tall grass it was still technically moving and therefore not shutting off immediately hence with the turbines still turning a sure recipe for disaster...
I would imagine the parts that did not melt are in otherwise good condition!
2015-4-28
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-28 22:38
I would agree and because it was in tall grass it was still technically moving and therefore not s ...

This is a good post. I never imagined those motors can generate enough heat to do this.
2015-4-28
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-28 22:38
I would agree and because it was in tall grass it was still technically moving and therefore not s ...

I have noticed my motors get plenty warm. When I have the Phantom connected to the PC and Phantom assistant, my video Tx gets very warm. After flying and upon landing, I can touch the video Tx and it is fairly cool due to the movement of air during flight. But, the motors are approaching HOT, even with air movement and prop wash.
BTW, there is a safety feature on my little Syma that when the motors encounter some amount of resistance, they cut off preventing them from burning up.
2015-4-28
Use props
Vazkiller
New

Russia

He spent idling 1.5 hours !!! Grass landing it just mo
2015-4-28
Use props
Vazkiller
New

Russia

He spent idling 1.5 hours !!! Grass landing it just mowing!!!
2015-4-28
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

Why I need to find a way to have a switch installed that automatically cuts power when flipped upside down. Like in space heaters.
2015-4-28
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

If I have decoded this right: The drone lost contact at 300 meters and went down in a field (why didn't it return to home?) It landed in long grass and the motors never shut down. It took an hour and a half to find the drone and the motors overheated during that time and melted the plastic housing. If so this sounds like a bug in the firmware and should be covered by the warranty. The firmware should shut down the motors automatically when the motors are idling after auto-descending and not in contact with the transmitter (like holding down the throttle and not descending for several seconds).
2015-4-28
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Can only presume he had "landing" and not RTH enabled and it probably did not settle well enough to shut down.
2015-4-28
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2015-4-29 02:44
If I have decoded this right: The drone lost contact at 300 meters and went down in a field (why did ...

maybe you should rethink that 'bug.'

is not letting go of sticks an hovering similar?  you want motors to shut off then?

or if you then shut off rc, does it not go rth , land and shut off?

i doubt you REALLY want loss of rc sig to just turn off the motors.....
2015-4-28
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Luxembourg

how much cool down time should you give the quad per battery?
2015-4-28
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Michael M Posted at 2015-4-29 09:34
how much cool down time should you give the quad per battery?

Hi Michael. Don't worry about it. The air flow from the props provides enough cooling. Cheers
2015-4-29
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

Reason I brought the switch comment up.. I had a mishap with mine on Sunday, to where mine "backed" into a tree from 80 ft up (long story) and fell to ground behind a tree line 30 ft into the woods. It took me over 5 minutes to find it using "find my Phantom" which worked because I still had radio contact. It tryed to "go home" a couple times when signal went in and out but I kept trying to turn it off by flipping switch and throttle down. But i guess that wasnt enougth. I have a new housing and one motor on order. Funny this crash no props were broken other then a melted motor mount.  Should get them this week. Anyhow.. Here is link to video.. Caught on film.
2015-4-29
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

davidw, not to hijack vazkiller's thread, but why didn't you CSC?  to be honest, I would not have thought of it either since it was already down, I would have figured it was off!  but now I will try to remember to CSC if still in contact after a crash!  
2015-4-29
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-29 18:48
Reason I brought the switch comment up.. I had a mishap with mine on Sunday, to where mine "backed"  ...

David,

Thanks for the "no BS" view and narration of your unfortunate mishap. Sorry you had it happen but thankful that you shared it. I find things like this very useful in better understanding the Phantom and how it will perform in duress. I'm sure you've already looked into it but you may want to get a few ESC's as well. The stress on the one that melted the motor may have deteriorated it's capabilities. Just a thought. Thanks for the information.

Jerry
2015-4-29
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-4-29 19:36
David,

Thanks for the "no BS" view and narration of your unfortunate mishap. Sorry you had it hap ...

When i get the new motor, im going to test everything first. Right now it seems run ok (other 3 motors with no props). With the 4th motor it would shut down as soon as I try to idle it. As soon as i removed the one motor, the rest worked. The 4th motor also was not turning easy as well. So that was part of the problem.
I looked into the ESCs, but I cant find any to match the part number that is on mine. They have the V2.1. stamped on them, but one of the venders I asked keeps telling me a 2.0 will work. I want all mine to match the V2.1. Does it matter? I feel it does. The one in question is the one that powers the props with silver head. Or front Right.
2015-4-29
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

David,

I'm no expert in any of this so I can't answer some of your questions. After my accident I had to pull my bird apart and read many posts and viewed a ton of YouTubes. So much so that I can't remember specifics. Like you, I wouldn't take the chance of mixing ESC's. I bought a used shell from eBay. It doesn't look like it was used. It looks like whoever sold it just wanted most of the guts from it. He did leave the ESC's in it. When I get a chance today I'll take a look at them and maybe shoot you a photo. If it matches yours, I'll send that one to you. If I were you I'd do a bunch of research on the ESC's. Personally, based on your video and the damage that was done to the motor and shell and since you're going to have to tear everything apart anyway, I'd replace that ESC for sure. I just wouldn't trust it. Someone with more knowledge may be able to tell you how to test it.

Jerry
2015-4-29
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

My understanding is the 2.1 is the same hardware as the 2.0 older ones but has different firmware (software)

Under no circumstances would I put 1 different firmware ESC in mine - we know it acts differently than the new firmware ones.
2015-4-29
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

yorlik Posted at 2015-4-29 08:31
maybe you should rethink that 'bug.'

is not letting go of sticks an hovering similar?  you want m ...

It is not the same as letting go of the sticks because:
1. The drone is not is not connected to the controller.
2. The drone has attempted to land perhaps after attempting to return to home or due to low battery.
3. The drone has idled the motors which would cause it to descend rapidly if it was still in the air.
4. The drone is not descending for several seconds even with all of the above conditions.
2015-4-29
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

grangerfx.  ok. good points. it is indeed complex logic to decide when to shut down!
2015-4-29
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-29 19:45
When i get the new motor, im going to test everything first. Right now it seems run ok (other 3 mot ...

David,

I checked the ESC's I have and they're V2 not 2.1, sorry.

Jerry
2015-4-29
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

I just got the body swapped over last night and all back together. Still waiting on last motor. I bench tested without props to make sure everything works. So far all is good. I wont know until I get the last motor installed.
2015-4-30
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-30 18:57
I just got the body swapped over last night and all back together. Still waiting on last motor. I be ...

David,

How did the GPS module swap go? I'm going to have to do my upper she'll soon and any tips on how you dealt with the GPS module and that gray cover would be appreciated.

Jerry
2015-4-30
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-4-30 19:07
David,

How did the GPS module swap go? I'm going to have to do my upper she'll soon and any tips  ...

It has a thick tape covering over it, Just carfully peel it off and the module is held on with 4 screws. They are in a odd pattern so you cant get the module facing the wrong way. Has one plug that attatches to the main board. I put the tape back on when when i was done with the swap. You need tiny jewelers screwdriver set.
2015-4-30
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-5-1 01:04
It has a thick tape covering over it, Just carfully peel it off and the module is held on with 4 s ...

Thanks David. When the weather dumps that's one of the things I'm going to need to do.

Jerry
2015-4-30
Use props
davidw63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Got the new motor today and its NO GO. Its going to need a ESC. Oh well.. I going to need one at "V 2.1."
2015-4-30
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

davidw63@comcas Posted at 2015-5-1 07:58
Got the new motor today and its NO GO. Its going to need a ESC. Oh well.. I going to need one at "V  ...

David,

Take a look at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-DJ ... ywords=DJI+ESC+v2.1

Jerry
2015-4-30
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-1 08:59
David,

Take a look at this:

I found one to match on Ebay, but im going to check a local hobby store first before i order. Dont feel like waiting another week if i dont have to. Now I have to practice my sodering skills which aint to good.. lol.
2015-5-1
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

didnt you say earlier you do NOT have 2.1 but 2.0?  you really want to mix and match?  
2015-5-1
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

yorlik Posted at 2015-5-1 19:36
didnt you say earlier you do NOT have 2.1 but 2.0?  you really want to mix and match?

NO, I have the 2.1..
2015-5-1
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

Everything is back together and running.. Did 6 flights (under probation)... But I feel satisfied so far. Replaced shell, Motor, and ESC. Funny how this crash did everything else except break a prop... I have a ton of props and now everything else breaks.. Go figure..
2015-5-9
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-5-9 20:02
Everything is back together and running.. Did 6 flights (under probation)... But I feel satisfied so ...

David,

Glad to hear that you're back in the air! Good luck!

Jerry
2015-5-9
Use props
dmbandx
lvl.1

United States

It looks like the motors/props got tangled up in the grass, preventing them from turning at all. A ...

Yep, that's exactly what I'm seeing too. Tried to fire it up after it crashed (or left it running while searching), blades were hampered from turning, meltdown city.
2015-5-9
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3176083 ft
  • >>>
United States

+1 to that.
2015-5-10
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

Hong Kong

dmbandx@hotmail Posted at 2015-5-10 12:31
Yep, that's exactly what I'm seeing too. Tried to fire it up after it crashed (or left it running  ...

I checked my flight tracker and it shows that when climbing, the battery can be discharging at 19.75 Amps. I wonder how high it would have been if the motors can't rotate and the resistance in the wires just kept rising due to the heat

IMG_6836.jpg
2015-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules